Road of Kings and Scrolls of Skelos

I received both Road of Kings and Scrolls of Skelos in the mail today. While I've only just leafed through them, I have to say that they are gorgeous! Road of Kings came just in time for me to start my Conan campaign and I could not be more happy. I'm still waiting on my Atlantean edition and GM screen from Mongoose, however. How long did it take for some of you to receive it?

Wicked Tinker said:
I'm still waiting on my Atlantean edition and GM screen from Mongoose, however. How long did it take for some of you to receive it?

I think my AE took no more than two weeks, in the UK.

Ah, I got my book and GM screen today. I am thrilled to see the map of Hyborea in the GM Screen. I didn't know it was in there and so it was a wonderful surprise.

Wicked Tinker said:
Ah, I got my book and GM screen today. I am thrilled to see the map of Hyborea in the GM Screen. I didn't know it was in there and so it was a wonderful surprise.
Do you think you'll be able to finish the Core rulebook, road of kings and the scrolls of skellos by friday so that you can play your first session on Saturday? :wink:

The King said:
Do you think you'll be able to finish the Core rulebook, road of kings and the scrolls of skellos by friday so that you can play your first session on Saturday? :wink:

No, that would be quite a task, what with work and family. However, I don't have to. Since I'm running the Black Stones of Kovag-Re, all I need to do is read the section on Zamora in Road of Kings. Scrolls of Skelos is not yet relevant as there are no Scholars in the group.

I do plan on making some changes to Kovag-Re, however, since I find the end rather ridiculous. I don't want some stone blocks animating and chasing the group through some tunnels. Instead, I'll have the fine, white powder animate and pour into the mouth of one of the NPC villains (hopefully Oleska), giving him a fraction of the power of the Blood God, Kovag-Re. Since Conan was able to kill most monsters/demons he faced with his sharp steel and mighty thews, I'll allow the characters a chance to dispatch Oleska/Kovag-Re. It will be difficult, but if they are not too wounded from the combat preceding this encounter, they will have a fighting chance. What do you think?

Sounds good. Make sure you use the terror rules for the characters. I myself just GM'ed my first game of conan last night. My characters were all 1st level and my cimmerian rushed 4 picts and almost died in the first round of combat. Heh, lets just say i'll never do that again!

Wicked Tinker said:
I do plan on making some changes to Kovag-Re, however, since I find the end rather ridiculous. I don't want some stone blocks animating and chasing the group through some tunnels. Instead, I'll have the fine, white powder animate and pour into the mouth of one of the NPC villains (hopefully Oleska), giving him a fraction of the power of the Blood God, Kovag-Re. Since Conan was able to kill most monsters/demons he faced with his sharp steel and mighty thews, I'll allow the characters a chance to dispatch Oleska/Kovag-Re. It will be difficult, but if they are not too wounded from the combat preceding this encounter, they will have a fighting chance. What do you think?
So you didn't like the ending of black stones of Kovag-Re. Though I didn't play it, I find it quite Conan-like. Remember that Conan does'nt always slay the monster and that he is sometimes happy to escape with his life (i.e. pool of the black one). But your version isn't bad either. You could use the magic powder as an mean to turn someone into a kind of stone golem animated by rage and evil and feeding and blood and death.
But then I think you should create a cultist of that god that discovered the formula of this powder and use it as a way to worship Kovag-Re.
But true, I also heard that this Conan roleplaying game was more lethal than usual DD. Perhaps you should play alone the fight with NPC to balance your game.

Anonymous said:
Sounds good. Make sure you use the terror rules for the characters. I myself just GM'ed my first game of conan last night. My characters were all 1st level and my cimmerian rushed 4 picts and almost died in the first round of combat. Heh, lets just say i'll never do that again!
LOL! It remembers me of one of my first D&D (1st edition) session more than 20 years ago when my dwarf was wipped out by some kobolds. :oops:

Back