RIP - Michael O'Hare

Digger

Mongoose
I am supprised that with the large fan base for B5 on this forum, that no one has noted the tragic loss of Michael O'Hare who died on the 28th Sep 2012 from a heart attack at the age of 60.

Babylon 5" creator J. Michael Straczynski announced the news via his Facebook fan page on September 28, writing: "I regret that I must convey the sad news that Michael O'Hare passed away today. He suffered a heart attack on Sunday and was in a coma until his passing this afternoon. This is a terrible loss for all B5 fans and everyone involved with the show wishes to convey their condolences to the O'Hare family. He was an amazing man.

How quickly we forget! RIP, you will be sadly missed! :(

I posted about the news over on the ADB BBS; but I wasn't sure if anyone else wanted to be the first to mention the loss here.

(I would have thought that a note in the Mongoose Blog might have been worth considering, given the ongoing legacy of the company's time holding the Babylon 5 licence; both Noble Armada and Star Fleet owe much to the work done for the editions of the ruleset designed to support B5, a setting which O'Hare's character did more to shape than anyone would have guessed when the series began to air.)

But in any case, my favourite quote from O'Hare in the show was this one; which spoke not of the conflicts which the tabletop games rely on for sustenance, but of the aspirations to explore the stars which humanity will hopefullly never relinquish.

Rest in peace, Mr. O'Hare.

But in any case, my favourite quote from O'Hare in the show was this one; which spoke not of the conflicts which the tabletop games rely on for sustenance, but of the aspirations to explore the stars which humanity will hopefullly never relinquish."

Yes, that is one of the best lines I've heard come out of a sci-fi show. And it is pertinent especially with so many governments today either reducing research into space travel, or cutting it altogether.

Hold the Line!
RIP Commander (Michael).

Back