REVIEW: The Coming of Hanuman

XcomSquaddie

Mongoose
Okay, here's my review of Mongoose's latest effort.

Story/Plot
I've been told in the past that I give too much away, so I'll try to be careful. Here's the blurb from the website:

This exciting new adventure for Conan the Roleplaying Game ses the players thrust into the turmoil of desert warfare in eastern Shem. The party are fighting alongside Turanian troopers rounding up rebel Zuagirs but is there something more sinister and supernatural going on? And just how far can you trust a Turanian anway? Full of rip-roaring adventure, The Coming of Hanuman is full of genuine Hyborian flavour!

Basically, the characters are chosen to scout out a nomad camp ahead of the Turanian army. Complications ensue, as does amusement for the GM.

This is a very well written module. The characters are involved in a situation that they cannot change. They cannot stop the Turnanian/Shemitish fighting and events will happen in the story no matter what the characters do. However the characters have the ability to decide how they will react to the situations and events and their actions will have a dramatic affect on the future.

This all gives the sense the sense that the characters are involved in a series of real world events. They cannot stop them from happening, but they can still affect the outcome.

The writing style is very Howard-ish. Women aren't pretty, they're angelic. Monsters aren't ugly, they're sanity wrenching and foul, but still mortal and thus vulnerable.

Best Quote:
"I have chosen you as volunteers for this job..."

Also, there is play to allow for different gaming styles. There are mass combat scenes, desert travel scenes, explorations, tension filled negotiations, etc. Individual Gm's can tilt it to fit the players personal tastes.

Characters
There are a few characters, a beautfiul maiden, a Turanian general, a shemitish leader, etc. They are believable and all Howard-ish. Their motivations and actions and possible actions are detailed along with possible responses to likely character actions.

Appearance/Artwork
There's not many actual illustrations in the product. The cover picture shows a horseman and is done in a comic book style. Nice colors and lines. Inside, there are illustrations of shields and either bucklers or coins. In any case, the inside illo's are ok. Nothing overly cool, but nothing poorly done.

Maps/Cartography
There are two maps included. The first is supposed to be a hastily drawn map created from verbal descriptions of prisoners. The actual map itself is drawn in the comic book style. The lines and color are good. The map is simple, but with enough detail to make it pretty.

My only beef with the first map is that there are Two large x's with no labels. In the story, one X represents the party start point, and the other represents a nomad camp which is their goal. It's pretty easy to figure out which is which, but they are not labeled. If I was a military leader and my scouts were drawing me maps I'd make them label the X's damnit! But I digress...

The second map is also done in the line-art/comic book style. I'm going to be vague about some details so I don't spoil any surprises. Suffice to say the map shows a camp near the mountains. I liked this one alot. The lines and colors are typically good and the picture itself looks like something I'd want to explore.

There is a single unlabeled X on this one, outside the camp. However if you read the text, it is quite plainly the location of an encounter the party will have. But again, label the X's please. It just looks wierd having lone x's scattered about.

Adaptability
Okay. As far as adaptability, the module takes place along the Shemitish and Turanian border and a certain city is mentioned as being important to the villain. Also it involves Turanian soldiers and rebel nomads.

It pretty much has to occur in the locations given. The text gives some ideas for moving it a bit, but essentially, this module relies heavily on location. This is not a bad thing however, and I would definitely shift my campaign to accomodate it.

It also relies on the fact that the characters will be working for the Turanians and the text does detail a number of ways to make this happen.

However, this is Conan. Tell the players that in the weeks since the last adventure, money got tight and working for Turan sounded like a good idea. If they bitch, have them be mauled by jackals.

Length
Length could have been a little longer. Granted, it's easy enough to throw in your own encounters or twists, but more is most usually better. I'd say throw in two more encounters of some type.

Cover page, plus thirteen meaty pages, plus the OGL/D20 crap page. Fifteen total pages.

Party Composition
The adventure texts states that it is suitable for any number of 1st to 3rd level characters.

Overall
On a scale of 1-10 (1 bad, 10 good) I'd give it an 9. If you're a GM, buy it, play it and use it to abuse your players.

It looks like something I would enjoy running or playing in.

Thanks for the review Darth Mikey. What about the length? Only 16 pages or a bit more this time?

Oops. I'll revise that. Length was okay. Cover page, plus thirteen pages of meat, then one page licensing. Fifteen overall. I'll fix the review.

Too bad it is so short; I loved the 1st aventure but it could have been longer. Of course Conan stories were short but 32 pages in all to set up the adventure wouldn't hurt (if only to give us an insight of the city).

Well, I guess if you look at the price, $8.00, no S&H, no tax, 15 pages, etc. works out to roughly 75 cents per page. That's not too bad. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't have complained if it were a few pages bulkier.

What are the suggested party levels and number of players?

Thanks for the info, good review - sounds like an interesting one. Very glad to see Mongoose is getting on the stick on releasing some actual adventures (this, and the announced Shadizar boxed set).

Glad you liked the review.

It is for characters of 1st to 3rd level and any number.

Basically, it would be quite easy for the GM to add more opponents to suit larger parties.

The text does caution against higher level characters as the opponents would be less of a threat for them.

I'd be happy to answer any other comments or questions.

Glad you like the adventure. On the subject of artwork in genral and resolution issues in particular, you are never going to see brand new artwork in PDF releases. The cost of Conan artwork would bump the price up considerably, and what spare doah i can throw at PDFs goes on important gaming items like maps which are of course essential.

I have spoken to the the guys at RPG Now and checked my own proofs, and there is abslutely nothing wrong with the layering nor are there any white squares, so it may be something to do with your download or your version of Acrobat. It's a mystery to me though and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem at this time.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Glad you like the adventure. On the subject of artwork in genral and resolution issues in particular, you are never going to see brand new artwork in PDF releases. The cost of Conan artwork would bump the price up considerably, and what spare doah i can throw at PDFs goes on important gaming items like maps which are of course essential.

I have spoken to the the guys at RPG Now and checked my own proofs, and there is abslutely nothing wrong with the layering nor are there any white squares, so it may be something to do with your download or your version of Acrobat. It's a mystery to me though and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem at this time.

Damn! Didn't think about the Acrobat version thing. I've edited the above review.

I need a quick start-up adventure for next Tuesday. This sounds like it may work.

Anyway I can order the adventure using paypal? Another site?

I have a mixed feeling about this module. First, there's still no printer-friendly version of it, and since it uses the same layout as the rulebook, it is really expensive to print. I personnaly used Acrobat (not Acrobat reader) to delete the bakcground images before printing the book, but it would be really nice to have a tex-only version in the Zip.

Next the story : As Darth Mikey said, the events will unfold whatever the PCs decide to do. This might be very "howardesque" (after all, in several yarns Conan just makes its way through event that don't really concern him) but an RPG session is NOT a yarn, and players need to feel involved in the story. That's not really the case here, unless the GM rewrites it. Another problem is that some classes could feel useless in that story, unless they are very combat-oriented. The GM will have to rework som portions of the module to add some interest for thieves or scholars.

But this module is still valuable : NPCs are weell written and the story itself is good, and shows that you don't need a 20th-level sorcerer from stygia to give your PC a real taste of sorcery gone awry.

If I were to use the same scale as Darth Mikey, I would give this module a 6.

My GM just ran our 6th level char's through this and we almost died from the ape men...they seemed a bit of a challenge for the proposed levels of this mod, but otherwise we had fun.

I ran this adventure the other day for a group of 3rd level characters. I had to agree with Arkolba. It was tough. In the main battle I was using the Ape's Slam attacks against the PC and the knife attacks against NPC's. Even so the oughest guy went down and the others were badly mauled. I gave one Pc the chance to save the Agha. Described to the PC tow apes holding him, one either end. PC charged, was willing to burn a fate point using his Bardiche, and missed! Pop one dead Turanian.
We all had fun.

He Azza.

At one point, My PC (Soldier/borderer) was being squeezed to death, hands locked at my sides, ribs breaking...and the other heavy (Cimmerian Barbarian) was being lifted by his head, blood breaking out of ears, nose and mouth....Lucklily, the other PC's were able to help break the grapples, because we were going down quick...

Arkobla Conn said:
He Azza.

At one point, My PC (Soldier/borderer) was being squeezed to death, hands locked at my sides, ribs breaking...and the other heavy (Cimmerian Barbarian) was being lifted by his head, blood breaking out of ears, nose and mouth....Lucklily, the other PC's were able to help break the grapples, because we were going down quick...

When my PC's fought the two apes gurading the Shemite prisoners I realised how good they were. My group consisted of a Soldier/Thief, Cimmerian Barbarian, South Islander Pirate and a straight Thief accompanied by a Soldier/Noble NPC. I rolled max damage with the Zaibar knife, 18pts of damage! Left a 25 HP character with 9 after DR. In the main battle 3 of them tried to shoot Hanuman, only the Cimmerian and the NPC tried to fight the Apes. I also let these two only face 1 ape at a time and assumed that the ape was fighting someone else so wouldn't attack the PC twice in a round. Even so the Cimmerian was unconcious and the NPCc was on only a couple of HP's.
I had to throw the old wizard at them to kill as the thief was getting ready to climb up the cliff and Hanuman on in hand ter hand!
I'm pretty sure taht this adventure isn't surivable if the PCs' try to take the Apes on in a straight combat.

Back