Repeated Successful casting costs

Sutek

Mongoose
Part of the Rule of Success states that a spell successfully cast may be recast at half PP cost in the next subsequent round.

Is this cumulative? It's not clear in the text, but gives an example of a PP8 spell cast successfuly then being cast again at PP4. If that is successfully cast, could it be cast again at 2PP and then again at 1? Is it only ever half it's starting cost? If the former is correct, does it stop at 1 (this would seem the most reasonable)?

Still going through my detailed analysis of this game and it still rocks, even through the minor glitches like this...great work. 8)

From what I understand, you are correct. There is a conan (REH) book that describes this perfectly. What book, you ask? Vince knows, and perhaps a few others know from the top of their knwoledgeable heads.

I was wondering the same thing last night while reading over that section. It does not seem tobe clear either way.
I would rule that yes because the sorceror still has to avoid taking any damage during those subsequent rounds.

The book quotes Conan I beleive as saying something that Sorcery thrives on success. The use you propose sounds like thriving while just allowing the half cost once seems more like Sorcery does Pretty Well on Success.

Well, a strict reading of the rules would say no

pg 191 said:
he may cast the same spell the following round at half the usual Power Point cost (rounded down) for the spell.
(emphasis mine)

So if the "usual cost" is 8pp any repeat spells would be cast at 4pp no matter how many successes you had.

Right on! Good eye. Though perhaps a feat allowing one to take the rule of success beyond the usual cost.

Just call it Successive Casting. I'm not familiar enough with the Meta-magic Feats in Conan off-hand to suggest any pre-reqs, so if anyone has a suggestion...

Odovacar's Ghost said:
From what I understand, you are correct. There is a conan (REH) book that describes this perfectly. What book, you ask? Vince knows, and perhaps a few others know from the top of their knwoledgeable heads.

The story in question is Queen of the Black Coast, where Conan beholds a lotus-inspired vision of an hideous creature doing a ritual repeatedly upon a group of 50 Stygian soldiers, turning them each into were-hyenas. This is quoted in the spell description for awful rite of the were-beast.

Jason Durall said:
Odovacar's Ghost said:

The story in question is Queen of the Black Coast, where Conan beholds a lotus-inspired vision of an hideous creature doing a ritual repeatedly upon a group of 50 Stygian soldiers, turning them each into were-hyenas. This is quoted in the spell description for awful rite of the were-beast.
My impression from the story was that the ritual was performed once, affecting all of the Stygians en masse. But viewed through the lens of our game, wherein the spell as written affects one at a time, we must accept Howard's example as the Rule of Success in action.

Back