Reactions and guns-turret question

arcador

Mongoose
Hello guys,

My question relates to the limit of reactions a ship can make based on crew and guns. This time we don't have maximum of reactions per ship, thus I see the limit is only based on the available resources.

And here the question comes.

I assume, since the rules state only 1 attack per turret is possible, that each turret can act once per round - it either attacks or is used for defence reaction (point d, or sandcaster). But what if the gunner uses 1 of the 3 guns on the turret. Is he able to react with another one the same turn?

Is he either attack OR react or can attack and react? (or maybe 2 tasks at once; -2 to each?) But then, even if that is possible what about the guns limit? Is 1 turret only 1 action per round, or he can use another gun from that turret?

arcador said:
Hello guys,

My question relates to the limit of reactions a ship can make based on crew and guns. This time we don't have maximum of reactions per ship, thus I see the limit is only based on the available resources.

And here the question comes.

I assume, since the rules state only 1 attack per turret is possible, that each turret can act once per round - it either attacks or is used for defence reaction (point d, or sandcaster). But what if the gunner uses 1 of the 3 guns on the turret. Is he able to react with another one the same turn?

Is he either attack OR react or can attack and react? (or maybe 2 tasks at once; -2 to each?) But then, even if that is possible what about the guns limit? Is 1 turret only 1 action per round, or he can use another gun from that turret?

This question remains on the "to be answered" list still.

To add some thoughts.

If a crew member is allowed to either fire OR either react this brings the following:

- the point defence is still useful as it can stop several missiles in one reaction.
- the sandcaster loses power as the best it can do is eliminate the damage of 1 attack. Thus equal ships in firepower and crew are in better advantage if fire all possible lasers guns rather than keep someone on the sandcaster instead on the laser gun.

Of course we almost never have the same parameters fighting each other. Now, considering the new power mechanic it is possible for a ship to deplete its power before it uses all of its turrets, thus having a sandcaster is a cheap addition to the rest of the firepower.

edit: there is some info coming up in another thread, perhaps the clarity is near :D

Suppose the gunner could apply a pool of to-hit roll dice to point-defense, and the rest to the target? Because a gunner is only going to do point-defense until all the missiles are down, and then will apply the remainder of his time to the target...

So maybe combat should go like so:

Missiles fire
Gunners roll to take down missiles; remaining successes are applied as a to-hit roll on the target
Successful Gunner hits do damage
Successful Missile hits do damage

It seems simple enough, and it should cover all the bases. How big should the pool be?

I see there are further clarifications to the reaction and point defence in combat, but the wording used is:

"single reaction"

With it I am left with the impression that the gunner can make several checks as a single reaction, which is obviously not true (judging from other cues).

A better word might be:

"separate reaction"

Back