Reaction questions

Alexb83

Mongoose
Okay, some pretty basic questions which have arisen from my first few starter games -

How many reactions can a unit make in a turn? Say a squad of MI has 2 separate groups of bugs finish their first action within 10" of them. Can they react to each in turn with a shoot action? Or shoot one then beat feat in response to the other?

Say that one of the bugs then charges at them, and finishes in PBR. Do you shoot at them before they make their CC attacks, or after? Can you actually use a shoot reaction against them if they're in PBR?

TIA,

Alex

Alexb83 said:
How many reactions can a unit make in a turn?

Unless specifically stated in the special reaction(I think if you beat feet for example can't react anymore) as many times as you want. So if squad of warriors move within 10" you can shoot at it. Another squad moves up you can shoot at it too. Which is why often arachnids will be using the swarm rule to ensure minimum amount of "units" have to enter into reaction range :)

Makes great fun also with say a marauder with 2 flamers! Burn arachnids burn! I had in my last SST game CHAS burn over half a dozen arachnids with just 1 flamer as multiple units tried to take him down(hehehe).

Say that one of the bugs then charges at them, and finishes in PBR. Do you shoot at them before they make their CC attacks, or after? Can you actually use a shoot reaction against them if they're in PBR?

You react AFTER completed action so sorry, they get to attack before you get to shoot. And being in PBR does not stop you from shooting so if you survive(good luck!) you can shoot.

Interesting... so, if a unit of MI is charged down by warrior bugs, there's no way they can flee from them? Presumably you could spend a move action getting away, but you couldn't move far enough for a warrior not to re-charge you in reaction (since they have the counter-charge special reaction)? The only way you could really get out is to ready, then jump clear (assuming you have jump)

Guess you gotta stop them from getting to you in the first place.

Alexb83 said:
Interesting... so, if a unit of MI is charged down by warrior bugs, there's no way they can flee from them? Presumably you could spend a move action getting away, but you couldn't move far enough for a warrior not to re-charge you in reaction (since they have the counter-charge special reaction)? The only way you could really get out is to ready, then jump clear (assuming you have jump)

If you think tyou are about to get charged, then Ready! Surviving MI will then be able to jump out of charge range and fire as they go. It is a fundamental MI tactic.

Alexb83 said:

Sounds like the rules simulate "reality" perfectly, then :)

One way to get away is give them a more disposable unit as bait to slow them down ;)

Alexb83 said:

If they are within 6" that's correct. More than 6" and you can just walk more than 10" away(did that in the ropecon mega battle).

As mentioned special ready reaction can do wonders(unless you forget you were readied and decide to shoot instead of jumping. Happened to me!). Also you could use second squad to clear the 10" area(though depending on position of suitable target model this could risk your own troops...) and then have other jump away. I like to do this and have 2 squads tagged as a team so that one will be somewhat behind the other constantly. Thus the rear squad can always "clear the way" for front squad if bugs get too close :D Then front squad can move away.

tneva82 said:
Alexb83 said:

If they are within 6" that's correct. More than 6" and you can just walk more than 10" away(did that in the ropecon mega battle).

As mentioned special ready reaction can do wonders(unless you forget you were readied and decide to shoot instead of jumping. Happened to me!). Also you could use second squad to clear the 10" area(though depending on position of suitable target model this could risk your own troops...) and then have other jump away. I like to do this and have 2 squads tagged as a team so that one will be somewhat behind the other constantly. Thus the rear squad can always "clear the way" for front squad if bugs get too close :D Then front squad can move away.

If the bugs are 10" away..... beat feet 4" they can't reach you. As they'll move 6" then 6" again, total 12" and you are 14" away now. They can't countercharge in reaction to your reaction. Next turn you need to do a lot of shooting to keep them back and allow your unit to jump out (remember that before jumping they are going to be reacted against as the ready is an action, so it's ready.... react then jump and shoot).
If the MI were able to run away with every action, the bugs could never get into close combat. But MI can always keep away from them, it's just a question of wether you use your second action for more shooting or to ready and allow you to jump out.

Also, did we get a definate answer on 'can you shoot as part of a beat feet?' I know a jump action lets you attack as part of it, but this is a beat feet reaction.

MI reactions are a bloody pain. I love skinnie reactions though. Bug screech is also fun. I'd like the MI ones if I ever got to use them (soon I shall).

Back