Ranger in 2258

Waylander.

Mongoose
Hello

Ihave a player who want to play a human ranger, one of the survivor of the battle of the line.

Could it be possible in 2258 ? I am running the module 2 of the Fiery Trial.

There are some that say that it is not possible, due to the whole Sinclair thing later in 2259. However, with how powerful the urge Delenn and Kosh (and Ulkesh) wanted the Minbari and the Humans to work together post-Earth/Minbari War, there were likely several secret or classified attempts early on to try and integrate the two through the Anla'Shok.

More on this style of topic to come...but I would tell your player that he could, but make sure that he knows that he is likely not very popular amongst the few Rangers that know he exists, and that he is on a pretty top secret mission...likely to do with the Shadows (as they did not want the big boys in Black to know they were on to them yet).

Does that make sense? :)

-Bry

I did it like this. An old ranger going out to sea gets a letter from Valen. As the ranger wanders around the galaxy he/she inevidently runs across the human who wants to be the ranger. He trains the would-be-ranger and gives him his robes, denn'bok and a letter when he dies. Role playing opportunities for when the human ranger meets Minbari are endless. The knowledge of the human ranger about his mentor and the letter should win out in the end with other rangers, but the Warror caste ought to be a pain for a long while. ;)

Of course, you could just tell the player 'no, you have to be a Minbari ranger until late season two, then humans can join.'

Kizarvexis

I've done this previously with a character who was one of the other pilots hauled off the Battle of the Line by the Minbari "to check" their results from Sinclair.

Just because they "merely" wiped Sinclair's memory, it doesn't mean that they didn't implant some "suggestions" in some of the others (especially if Valen had a prophecy on the matter...); Perhaps some of the other survivors did start to drift away from EA service, and perhaps felt drawn to certain locations, on certain dates to meet some Minbari with answers for them ;)

But everything Bryan says applies, very much so...

Our game has a character which was at the Battle of the Line. He then bounced around for awhile and became known to Sinclair during the Mars riots.

Eventually he was on a modified Hyperion sent out to the rim as a test project called Mottled Light which involved long duration stasis in hyperspace.

He was awoken when the ship was taken into a tacheyon field by B4 by Sinclair, who then asked his "old friend" for help with a problem. He taught him how to be a ranger in preparation for his final test: to defend Sinclair in the coccon until he emerged as Valen.

The Vorlons handled his memories so that he doesn't put 2 and 2 together and screw anything up, but eventually a letter is given to Sinclair from Valen telling him to "activate" the character as a ranger, and he becomes the principle recruiter of Humans into the Anla'shok.

Just thought someone might be able to take some ideas from that.

Kizarvexis said:
I did it like this. An old ranger going out to sea gets a letter from Valen. As the ranger wanders around the galaxy he/she inevidently runs across the human who wants to be the ranger. He trains the would-be-ranger and gives him his robes, denn'bok and a letter when he dies. Role playing opportunities for when the human ranger meets Minbari are endless. The knowledge of the human ranger about his mentor and the letter should win out in the end with other rangers, but the Warror caste ought to be a pain for a long while. ;)

Of course, you could just tell the player 'no, you have to be a Minbari ranger until late season two, then humans can join.'

Kizarvexis

I'd have to echo your last comment, Kizarvexis, at least for any games I run.

I do like your idea - I'd work it that the human was asked to return the Denn'bok, cloak and Isil'zha back to the Ranger training compound in Tuzanor. I wouldn't let the player join the Anla'shok at that point, but their behaviour would be worth a hefty bonus to Ranger influence. Depending on how the character got there, I might also give a minor increase to one of the Minbari relevant influences.

The character might also be asked to pass any useful information on the Rangers, but I'd probably draw the line there. Things would change when Sinclair begins the process of recruiting humans and non-Warrior Caste Minbari into the Rangers. With a history of such honourable actions, (and a nice Ranger influence to boot) the character concerned's name would naturally float up to the top of the list.

As for a Human becoming a Ranger before Sinclair's arrival, I don't think that there's much fluff to support that idea at this point. As the Rangers at that time were, for the most part, also members of the Warrior Caste, I wouldn't fancy that Human's chances of not having a fatal 'accident', courtesy of the Warrior Caste. Sinclair's arrival on Minbari, and the mass resignation of most of the Warrior Caste members of the Anla'shok, would change this though.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and no more valid than anyone elses. What constitutes gaming canon is in the hands of the Games Master concerned.

Chobbly

Back