Questions: sacrifices and massive damage

fabio milito pagliara said:
Massive Damage
this rule apply only to humans?

I've ruled that Large creatures have a Massive Damage threshold of 30, Huge of 40, Gargantuan 50 and Colossal 60. I don't recall reading that in the books, though.

I guess Small and Tiny creatures should have smaller thresholds, but it hasn't come up.

Most demons and undead are immune to Massive Damage.

Animal Sacrifices?
do you get Power from animals? and how much?
This issue is not addressed in the rules. Off the top of my head I would say that you get 1/2 the PP from an animal sacrifice as you would from a human sacrifice.

Massive Damage
No, the massive damage threshold applies to all creatures except constructs and undead (note: unlike other creatures constructs and undead also die and are irreperably destroyed when they reach 0 HP instead of -10 HP). Outsiders, including Demons, are subject to massive damage (and critical hits and sneak attack) though it is a common mistake to think otherwise. Certain specific creatures may, of course, be exempt but will say so in their entries.

It is a common house rule to increase or decrease the massive damage threshold of creatures other than medium size by +/- 10 points for every size different than medium. This does make the game harder on the players.

Hope that helps.

sbarrie said:
Massive Damage

I've ruled that Large creatures have a Massive Damage threshold of 30, Huge of 40, Gargantuan 50 and Colossal 60. I don't recall reading that in the books, though.

I guess Small and Tiny creatures should have smaller thresholds, but it hasn't come up.

Most demons and undead are immune to Massive Damage.
that's what I thinked to do, but wanted to be sure that it was not ruled differently somewhere

thanks

argo said:
Animal Sacrifices?
This issue is not addressed in the rules. Off the top of my head I would say that you get 1/2 the PP from an animal sacrifice as you would from a human sacrifice.
I thought almost the same but I am still a little baffled by the logic that gives power based on hp, if this is true I would get better by sacrificing elephant (or similar big animal)
Massive Damage
No, the massive damage threshold applies to all creatures except constructs and undead (note: unlike other creatures constructs and undead also die and are irreperably destroyed when they reach 0 HP instead of -10 HP). Outsiders, including Demons, are subject to massive damage (and critical hits and sneak attack) though it is a common mistake to think otherwise. Certain specific creatures may, of course, be exempt but will say so in their entries.

It is a common house rule to increase or decrease the massive damage threshold of creatures other than medium size by +/- 10 points for every size different than medium. This does make the game harder on the players.

Hope that helps.

indeed it's of big help! thank you!

argo said:
Animal Sacrifices?
I thought almost the same but I am still a little baffled by the logic that gives power based on hp, if this is true I would get better by sacrificing elephant (or similar big animal)
Elephants are expensive, pesant girls are cheap :wink: Besides, if the sacrifice is being dedicated to a demon master or the like he may prefer recieving a pesant girl (I know I would).

Later.

Re: Animal Sacrifices...

...if you think about it, even in our Earth's cultures, sacrifices
have been regarded as a 'you get more bang for your buck' type deal...
ie If you sacrifice a cow, you get more religeous mana than if you
sacrifice a goat...with some animals getting a special mention - eg white
bulls/calves etc.

I guess it will always be specific to the god you want to please, but
with the generalisations that:-
1. Higher order animals are better than lower order (eg rather a
human than a cow.), & if no humans are available...
2. 'the bigger (the animal), the better'.

There is no reason to suppose that Hyboria is any different.

Hope this helps with the believability factor...?

argo said:
Elephants are expensive, pesant girls are cheap :wink: Besides, if the sacrifice is being dedicated to a demon master or the like he may prefer recieving a pesant girl (I know I would).

Later.

I don't know man, I think an elephant is a pretty sweet deal for just about anyone.

In general I follow the rule that if Bart would take it so would Cthulu.

strangemonkey said:
argo said:

Later.

I don't know man, I think an elephant is a pretty sweet deal for just about anyone.

In general I follow the rule that if Bart would take it so would Cthulu.

That is one of the most sensible explanations I have ever seen explaining the principle of sacrifice from the P.O.V. of the recipient.

WWBSD? What Would Bart Simpson Do?
WWGCD? What Would Great Cthulhu Devour?

Back