Questions about Cults of Glorantha I

GianniVacca

Mongoose
I have two questions about CoGI.

1) Some cults only list 'Runepriest' or 'Runelord' after Initiate and Acolyte. Does this mean that these particular cults only have one kind of Rune-level members?

2) I know this is the subject of another thread, but has anybody come out with any consistent way of handling cult 'Battle Magic'? If a cult only teaches three different Battle Magic spells, and if each one of these needs a different Runecasting skill, then Battle Magic becomes very unappealing.

Cheers.

We're all waiting for Voriof's errata. Apparently the list of Battle Magic for each god was edited away due to space limitations.

Some common house rules will probably be to allow battle magic to be cast with the <Specific> Theology skill, or at POW x5.

No need to have integrated runes to cast cult battle magic will probably also be heavily used.

Simplifies things a bit.

Trif.

GianniVacca said:
1) Some cults only list 'Runepriest' or 'Runelord' after Initiate and Acolyte. Does this mean that these particular cults only have one kind of Rune-level members?
It's not uncommon for cults to have only one of the Rune level posts; in some cases, the other one is just inappropriate. Chalana Arroy, for instance, doesn't have much call for Runelords.

ninthcouncil said:
GianniVacca said:
It's not uncommon for cults to have only one of the Rune level posts; in some cases, the other one is just inappropriate. Chalana Arroy, for instance, doesn't have much call for Runelords.

This is the case. Not all cults follow the generic, God Learner inspired Template Of Religious Practices v2.8a ;)

And yes, Cult Magic is a bit annoying with the way MRQ's Rune Magic is set up. That's an artifact of the system.

Personally, I would consider allowing Initiates or better to be considered to have the integrated a 'level 0' Rune. I would then let them learn the spells off of their Theology skill or assume they get a Runecasting (whatever) skill appropriate as a part of their religious linkage to the various magical forces.

Sadly, we don't have a system that mirrors the game world but must adapt the game world to fit. Feels a bit odd at times - back in the day, I would never have noticed it. ;)

Jeff

Back