Question on Untrained Skills (pg. 83)

bradius

Mongoose
If you use a skill as untrained, may you never get above a 10, no matter what you roll and no matter what your ability modifier is? Or does it mean that no matter what you roll, the roll will never be greater than 10, but you add your ability modifier to the roll, and the end number can be greater than 10?

Thanks

i'm not sure if i can help, as ive had to send my book back, so if ive got the rong end of the stick please forgive me, but i think you might be refering to the fact that you can never take 10 on a skill you are untrained for, this means that if the character has plenty of time and is trained in the skill he can elect to not roll the dice and instead add he's skill + 10, untrained characters always have to roll the dice, as i say i'm working blind so forgive me if this is not what you meant.

Whatever your roll and whatever your modifiers, a result above 10 is always teated as a 10. So if you use a skill untrained you can solve only tasks from Very Easy (0) to Average (10) DC.

Feuerbart

got my book back and indeed 10 is the maximum number you can reach with an untrained skill. bummer!!
personaly my players would rip me a new one if i pulled this on them, so i will impose a hefty negative modifier and allow them to get what ever number they roll.

Don't panic, it's not that bad. Conan is actually MORE flexible than regular D&D.

(This isn't an official ruling, it's just the way I read it...)

The 'maximum result of 10' rule is only for when you use a 'Trained Only' skill untrained. When you use any other skill untrained (such as Balance) then you just add your ability score modifier and use the full result you get.

This replaces the D&D system in which you can't use a 'Trained Only' skill AT ALL if you have no ranks in it. It seems to be meant to cover the greater adaptability of Conan heroes.

The 'maximum result of 10' rule is only for when you use a 'Trained Only' skill untrained. When you use any other skill untrained (such as Balance) then you just add your ability score modifier and use the full result you get.

This replaces the D&D system in which you can't use a 'Trained Only' skill AT ALL if you have no ranks in it. It seems to be meant to cover the greater adaptability of Conan heroes.

This is also how I understood it.

SS

Back