Question about Vincent

Does Vincent Darlage work for Mongoose, or is he a freelance writer? Vincent's work on the Conan RPG is exceptional! Thanks Vincent.

Vincent's Conan writings are brillant, I am so glad this game is as good as I wanted it to be. Vincent keep up the good work!

Here here!

All of the products he's worked on have been absolutely great.

And I completely agree that we got very lucky that Mongoose got the gig for a Conan game. I can think of a few other companies that would have completely botched the job.

Here's hoping for many more years of great Hyborian goodness.

Vincent,

Of all of the Conan books that have been published, what percent fo them have been yours?

I am thinking a lot, which makes it ironic that Mongoose doesn't try to make you a full time writer.

Hyborian Apeman said:
Vincent, of all of the Conan books that have been published, what percent fo them have been yours?

I have never calculated. I wrote virtually all of Road of Kings (Ian Sturrock did a few of the named characters, such as King Conan), Across the Thunder River, Shadizar - City of Wickedness, Aquilonia - Flower of the West (although the prestige classes appeared in S&P by another author) (also, I got to put MY version of King Conan in Aquilonia) and Hyboria's Fiercest. Although not released yet, I have also written Hyboria's Finest and Hyboria's Fallen.

As for the other volumes, I wrote several of the named characters in Pirate Isles and The Free Companies. I also wrote the last chapter in The Free Companies (the multi-classing like what I did for Hyboria's Fiercest). I wrote pages 120-123 of The Scrolls of Skelos (up to "dealing with demons," which begins Ian Sturrock's section).

I also wrote several adventures, name tables and articles seen in and yet to be seen in Signs and Portents.

Hyborian Apeman said:
I am thinking a lot, which makes it ironic that Mongoose doesn't try to make you a full time writer.

Believe it or not, I make more money as a teacher than I would as a full-time writer. I would love to devote all my working efforts toward Mongoose, but that would not be financially feasible at this point for me.

VincentDarlage said:
Believe it or not, I make more money as a teacher than I would as a full-time writer. I would love to devote all my working efforts toward Mongoose, but that would not be financially feasible at this point for me.

:shock: Well, I guess my plans of quiting my actuarial job and raking in the big bucks as a gaming writer and DM are probably not going to happen.

Hyborian Apeman said:
:shock: Well, I guess my plans of quiting my actuarial job and raking in the big bucks as a gaming writer and DM are probably not going to happen.
I once worked at one of the world's largest actuarial companies, and believe me, leaving an actuarial position and taking a full-time job as a game author would be a step down, financially, without most of the benefits you would get in the more secure position.

However, there are some authors who manage to make it work, but they're usually tirelessly prolific and often have the benefit of self-publishing and/or a significant other who has full-time wages and benefits, insurance, etc.

VincentDarlage said:
Absolutely! I intend to be there on the Saturday of that weekend. Maybe we can have dinner again.
Sounds like a plan. That was fun. We should find out if Richard will be there, as well.

Back