Question about the Gl'lu in Behind the claw

Arcanum

Mongoose
I have a question about the Gl'lu of Deneb, in Behind the claw. They are described as a technological society so why their profil have a malus of -2 EDU?

Last edited:
From the wiki "only about 10 percent of the Gl'lu enjoy high-common technology" so I would guess something like the Darriens has happened to them? Where the Darriens were tech lvl 16 with some tech lvl 17 they fell back. From my guess..

indeed, the wiki gives a rather different image of this people from the one we had with just the description in the book Behind the claw. For example, nowhere was it said that only 10% of Gl'lu had access to high technology. On the contrary, we were talking about their industries and their merchant ships, with even the presentation of one of their spaceships.

The Gl'lu, in their expanded description, are split between two social classes. The richer stratum lives in floating cities for the most part (so they don't get thrown about by earthquakes every other week) and gain status by patronising and providing aid to surface dwellers in their region. The rest of the Gl'lu live at a lower tech level down on the surface, rebuilding from the latest upheaval.

Since most Gl'lu get their aid from the rich 10% and that 10% probably import it from their Imperial allies, we might assume that Gl'lu don't tend to be involved with actually studying the technology? They're not a "learning" people, but a "gathering" one? That might well tie in with their apparent evolutionary origin as intimidator-hijackers, actually....

As an aside, I like the Gl'lu. I'd like to see more done with them.

Indeed, one of the benefits of the 1st edition is expanded descriptions of some of the major worlds -- Antra, Magash, Kubishush, Deneb itself, etc.

There are also a few more details on the native sophonts -- gender systems, senses, etc., if any of them struck your fancy from the 2nd edition book.

Thanks for the first edition description of the Gl'lu and Kubishush. But it's still strange, because in second edition Behind the claw, the Inar subsector description presents Kubishush as a major industrial centre of the subsector. It seems to contradict the first edition description. How could it be a major industrial centre of high tech goods with only ten percents of the population? A major industrial centre could no possibly be a gatherer like you say, G'Naakbusters, but a mass producer of goods.
So perhaps the authors have somehow change a little the Gl'lu between the two editions? Or only 10% are the major industrial center?

Kubishush does have a population of 9 billion, so 10% is still a large population, almost a High Population world in its own right.

Given the Gl'lu obsession with redundancy, and constant need to rebuild their settlements, I imagine they provide a lot of very enduring equipment, very robust and safe vehicles, and simple industrious effort (they're used to constant maintenance/replacement). That many people involved in continuous large-scale reconstruction, I imagine they would have to count by default as a major industrial centre.

Plus, the average Imperial citizen is probably biased toward the 10% of Gl'lu that trade across the sector and handle the more advanced technology, so having the sector overview in 2nd edition focus on the "Gl'lu as Imperial citizens and active traders" makes sense to me.

Kubishush does have a population of 9 billion, so 10% is still a large population, almost a High Population world in its own right.

Given the Gl'lu obsession with redundancy, and constant need to rebuild their settlements, I imagine they provide a lot of very enduring equipment, very robust and safe vehicles, and simple industrious effort (they're used to constant maintenance/replacement). That many people involved in continuous large-scale reconstruction, I imagine they would have to count by default as a major industrial centre.

Plus, the average Imperial citizen is probably biased toward the 10% of Gl'lu that trade across the sector and handle the more advanced technology, so having the sector overview in 2nd edition focus on the "Gl'lu as Imperial citizens and active traders" makes sense to me.
Ok, it's rather logical. So i suppose we can say the -2 EDU is only for playing the 90%, not the traders and industrialists living in the high tech flying cities.

Ok, it's rather logical. So i suppose we can say the -2 EDU is only for playing the 90%, not the traders and industrialists living in the high tech flying cities.
Reflecting, perhaps, where most "travellers" among the Gl'lu come from?

Back