Psychometry?!

slaughterj

Mongoose
This spell seems to do more than psychometry should be able to do, namely, provide information on the last owner's current state of health and location. I would think that at the point the owner was no longer in possession of the item being studied, that any further information about the owner would not be retained by the item being studied. It seems more appropriate for the information to be the health and heading at the time the item's possession is given up, and maybe how long ago that was (minutes/hours/days/millenia). Thoughts?

In theory, Psychometry is based on the psychic impressions left by a former owner. The strength of the impressions depended on the owner's attachment to the object, the amount of time the object spent on or near the owner's body and the events experienced by the owner.

If you look at the skill description, the Psychometry skill is more about the last owner rather than a past history. Essentially, the author is focusing on the most recent owner and most recent events rather than the object's 'life'.

In a Conan game, that's really what you would be looking for. You don't care about an enemy warrior's life experiences when you've got one of his arrows sticking out of your butt, however his current location would be most interesting...

Darth Mikey said:
You don't care about an enemy warrior's life experiences when you've got one of his arrows sticking out of your butt, however his current location would be most interesting...

[Setting aside any issues with the discussion being about a "fantasy" ability...]

That may well be, but how would the object have this information if it is no longer in the person's possession and therefore could not have obtained that information? The item is no longer in their possession, and so it wouldn't be able to leave psychic impressions any more. One might be interested in that information, but one might also be interested in that person's enemies and where they can be located as well, but the object isn't giving that up just because you're interested...

slaughterj said:
That may well be, but how would the object have this information if it is no longer in the person's possession and therefore could not have obtained that information? The item is no longer in their possession, and so it wouldn't be able to leave psychic impressions any more. One might be interested in that information, but one might also be interested in that person's enemies and where they can be located as well, but the object isn't giving that up just because you're interested...

The flavor-text speaks of (pg. 206) Khitanian soldiers using the skill on a patch of bloody sand to discern vague info about a missing king. The spell text also specifically mentions using body parts. I'd imagine this could range from hair, finger/toe nails and blood to severed fingers and limbs.

The rules for Magical Links (pg. 198 and descriptive text pg. 197) describe the connection between the soul and the body and how the connection remains, albiet weakened, in severed or lost parts, even ones as mundane as hair and nail trimmings.

It seems like they're working around the assumption of a similar link or bond between a person and an item that they possess. The link is much weaker and instead of being able to harm the person you can only get information.

Here's how I would do it. Remember that I'm not an official rep. This is just my take on it.

In preparation for a raid, an Aquilonian soldier is issued a new quiver of arrows. Within several days, he and his comrades are raiding in Nemedia. A Nemedian scholar pulls one of the soldier's arrows from the dead body of a Nemedian General. He attempts the Psychometry spell, but the arrow was only in the soldier's possession for a few days. The 'impressions' are confused by those left by the fletcher who created it and the general it killed. At best, he can determine that the slayer was probably an Aquilonian and probably a soldier.

Near the dead general, the scholar finds a broken poniard with a carved wooden hilt. The weapon was dropped by an Aquilonian soldier. He had carried the weapon for years and carved the hilt himself. As the soldiers returned to Aquilonia, the soldier lamented the loss of his lucky dagger. Many times he would reach for the missing dagger or notice that his weapon belt felt awkward without it.

The scholar attempts Psychometry again and is rewarded for his efforts. The link between object and owner was very strong and he was able, with great effort, to discern information about the bearer's location and condition.

slaughterj said:
[Setting aside any issues with the discussion being about a "fantasy" ability...]

I'm not sure what you mean. Psychometry is a 'real world' skill associated with psychic phenomena. No one has proved anything of course, but there have been some interesting tests done. Also the way the spell is described in the game and the rules for magical links both have 'real world' precedents in ancient magical beliefs and traditions.

Interesting take, I like the idea of the distinction between objects carried and body parts/fluids, and seems like the objects would appropriately "know" information in their presence (but not know years later where their previous owner is), though body parts would have a stronger connection along the lines of the magical link and could impart such information.

The Law of Contagion (a common magical law in the old pulp fantasy stories I used to read) states: "Once together, always together".

Viewed from a four dimensional point of view (which always makes players uneasy), if you've owned an item, then its space-time path intersects your space-time path. Therefore it can be used as a link to your space-time path any time after you've owned it, and your space-time path can provide information about your present condition.

I think a cautious sorcerer will poison his space-time path to prevent casual viewing. Perhaps using Psychometry to learn about a character with a high Corruption should force a corruption check.

Now a truly powerful sorcerer could follow an item's space-time path forward, and learn about an item's future owners...

But that's just my take.

This is an interesting subject for me right now. In the last adventure I ran, the two hero's escaped from the tower of an evil wizard with one of his harem maidens in tow (she wanted to go anyway).

Now I want to keep this wizard on their tails for a while, and the most obvious way for him to track them is through Psychometry. If he can know their specific location with an old piece of the maiden's clothing, 1 power point, and 5 successful DC 11 checks.... the party will never be able to loose him.

I think though, that if the information received is vague enough, it would still be a challenge. The spell might only give a brief glimpse of the targets location at that moment. For instance, my wizard might see the maiden in a tavern, but unless he can glimpse some hint at where that tavern is, he'd be out of luck.

The rules for the spell say that the wizard 'may' make a Knowledge (arcana) check to find out one piece of information. I think to make sure this spell is not too powerful, it should be stipulated that even if a wizard chooses not to gain a new piece of information, he won't gain further information about the last topic. Again, in my example, my wizard may see the maiden in a tavern but will only see this for a moment, and cannot continue to concentrate on her location, watching her leave the tavern and get on an Argosian ship.

Back