Possession Precedent

sbarrie

Mongoose
I was planning to haunt a PC in a future game with the ghost of a Pictish witch, and I was wondering whether there were any REH stories or pastiches which dealt with possession or similar phenomena.

Yes there is. I cannot remember the title of the story but Conan has a woman who he makes up to be a goddess for a con job but in the end the goddess she tries to pretend to be actually possess her.

happylrac said:
Yes there is. I cannot remember the title of the story but Conan has a woman who he makes up to be a goddess for a con job but in the end the goddess she tries to pretend to be actually possess her.
It's in "Jewels of Gwahlur" by R. E. Howard (Keshan, Black Kingdoms).

IIRC the REH story ends, BEFORE the girl pretends to be a goddess. The possession / obsession part may be in a pastiche story.

It is in a de Camp story set after "Jewels"- "The Ivory Goddess" or "The White Goddess" I think it is called. Also, the possession is divine- a goddess possesses the girl, not a wraith.

Demonic possession though would work well in Conan, canon or not IMHO.

Raven

Okay, thanks Rene and Raven, I knew there was a story with a girl who had been forced to "pretend" to be a goddess and Conan gets her to change her act, but I didn't remember how it ended. Howards stories never out and out had gods interfering, so I couldn't remember well enough. Should have re-read it before posting last night. :roll:

Bregales said:
Howards stories never out and out had gods interfering, so I couldn't remember well enough.

Black Collossus had fairly direct divine intervention -- although not flashy, you have a god speaking directly to Yasmela. And, while it is implied that the voice could possibly have been other than a god, even if it was simply a priestly deception, the outcomes of that voice speaking are such that you would almost have to admit divine influence regardless.

SableWyvern said:
Bregales said:
Howards stories never out and out had gods interfering, so I couldn't remember well enough.

Black Collossus had fairly direct divine intervention -- although not flashy, you have a god speaking directly to Yasmela. And, while it is implied that the voice could possibly have been other than a god, even if it was simply a priestly deception, the outcomes of that voice speaking are such that you would almost have to admit divine influence regardless.
Yeah, I was thinking of "Black Colossus" when I typed that earlier response, but decided to leave it because of the uncertainty. I should have mentioned it though I guess, so I'm glad you brought it up/clarified. :wink:

Back