Poll on RPG.net for what system is best for Conan gaming

Does someone really thinks I voted for D20? :twisted:

Note that D20 only got the 6th place so far, far behind BoL, BRP/MRQ or SaWo. Seems like the old dinosaur is finally dying...

Hand me a shotgun and I'll give him a helping hand... :twisted:

Oh brother guys, don't take it to mean much. The forum that poll is on is RPG open. That's where all the d20 haters live, so go figure RuneSuck or Barbarians of Lemuria or some other gawds awful indy PoS is in the lead. :roll:

Oh brother guys, don't take it to mean much. The forum that poll is on is RPG open. That's where all the d20 haters live, so go figure RuneSuck or Barbarians of Lemuria or some other gawds awful indy PoS is in the lead.

Of course I don't take anything I read on the internet for granted, but RPG open has a D&D/D20 subforum that is 10.000+ entries strong. So much about being "where all the d20 haters live"... :wink:. It only shows that there are lot of players that are ready to play Conan outside the scope of D20. This is actually quite the same on the different french Conan forums, where D20 is also generally quite impopular when it comes to Conan gaming...

Hervé said:
Of course I don't take anything I read on the internet for granted, but RPG open has a D&D/D20 subforum that is 10.000+ entries strong. So much about being "where all the d20 haters live"... :wink:.

No, RPG.net has a sub-forum for d20. RPG Open is the RPG.net forum for everything else, which is where the poll is. So yes, the d20 haters live in RPG Open. If the poll were in the d20 forum you'd see a remarkable difference on the poll outcome.

flatscan said:
Oh brother guys, don't take it to mean much. The forum that poll is on is RPG open. That's where all the d20 haters live, so go figure RuneSuck or Barbarians of Lemuria or some other gawds awful indy PoS is in the lead. :roll:

Offensive - lots :shock: .

BoL is not "indy" in the way you seem to imply. In fact, it has a lot of old-school character in its design (because I'm kind of old-school in my preferences). It is essentially a trad rpg, made simple. I don't hang out at the Forge or Story Games and I'm personally not too fond of some of the types of games that they seem to like at those places. I do occassionally pop in here though, because I happen to like Mongoose stuff.

Incidentaaly, the "indy" lovers that you mention don't generally dig BoL as far as I can see - mainly it seemes to be liked by people who like stuff such as BRP/D100 and D6 system games. BoL was actually turned down by the main indy game-seller IPR, because it was too traditional.

Incidentally, I am not a d20 hater either - although there are some D20 games I don't like - I play D&D 3.5, Conan D20, Star Wars D20, Spycraft, Babylon 5 D20 etc and rather like them.

If you like, I'll let you have a comp copy, to see whether you change your view after seeing it "in the flesh". PM me your email and I'll comp you a pdf from RPGNow.

Cheers

BoL is really one of the best games around. As most often on these forums, people are judging a game without giving it a single try.

Well of course you like it Herve, you're a fan of BRP. Other than for Call of Cthulhu, I am not. I've read the reviews of BoL and it has a lot of things in it I don't want/like in a game. I prefer the tactical gameplay OGL provides. I know, I know, you don't get it. But that's ok, we don't all have to play the same games. :p

To Simon, I sent you a pm. In case you didn't see it, I apologize for harshing on your game. That rancor was in response to having to constantly defend Mong-Conan on this Mongoose board. It's an excellent line with great supplements that have provided hours of fun game-play for my group and I for 3 years and counting. Here's hoping for another 3 years of supported products.

Voted GURPS over here. It was my first Conan system ever so I thought I'd help it even out with Mongoose to see which one comes out victorious. Sorry about that :oops:

flatscan said:
To Simon, I sent you a pm. In case you didn't see it, I apologize for harshing on your game. That rancor was in response to having to constantly defend Mong-Conan on this Mongoose board. It's an excellent line with great supplements that have provided hours of fun game-play for my group and I for 3 years and counting. Here's hoping for another 3 years of supported products.

I did see it and thanks at least for apologising.

With regard to your vitriol at other games than Mongoose Conan though - you are clearly happy with your choice of system and that's great. It works for you and you have your own reasons for liking it. I like it too - but these days I use D20 less and less because I am lazy and prefer simpler systems (not that you can't make d20 simpler, by dropping or altering some of the rules, which I do too).

However, other gamers have a free choice and they like their own systems and that's great too. No one choice is inherently right or wrong - people choose different systems for different reasons.

Anyway, BoL was never written for Conan - it was written totally for Thongor - I appreciate he was a Conan rip-off/pastiche so it is fair enough that my system could be used for Conan. However, my setting would have to be removed completely and Hyboria grafted on (which can be done quite painlessly). The best way to do this would be to use the Mongoose Conan books because, like you, I think they are generally excellent.

Anyay, enough of that BoL came out a joint winner - not bad for a PoS indy game! :wink:

Simon W
Beyond Belief Games

Flatscan wrote:
That rancor was in response to having to constantly defend Mong-Conan on this Mongoose board.

Defending Mong-Conan? I've doing doing the same all along. We may not agree on the game engine (which is not a Mongoose creation anyway), but you can't blame me for not being a loyal Mongoose supporter.

The main difference between our means of supporting the 'Goose is that I've never threatened them they 'll lose me and my players as customers if they ever change anything. Something you do quite regularly...

hey, look! Mr "everybody-who-disagrees-with-me-is-a-brain-dead-terrorist" is getting holier-than-thou again!

And they wonder why the flamefests start...

kintire said:
hey, look! Mr "everybody-who-disagrees-with-me-is-a-brain-dead-terrorist" is getting holier-than-thou again!

And they wonder why the flamefests start...
Methinks flamewars wouldn't happen if some members of this forum avoided posting inflamatory messages. :wink:

What do you expect to incite when you write a personal attack like this one, k?

Methinks flamewars wouldn't happen if some members of this forum avoided posting inflamatory messages.

I think that's entirely true.

What do you expect to incite when you write a personal attack like this one, k?

Exactly the same as what Herve expected to incite when he wrote the personal attack right above it, I expect.

So why did you add some combustible to the fire, k?
Hervé wasn't even talking to you.

Exactly the same as what Herve expected to incite when he wrote the personal attack right above it, I expect.
So you admit that your message was deliberately inflamatory?

IMHO, if a 'flamefest' between Hervé and you ensues (again), it's plain for everyone to see who started it in this thread.

Back