Poll: do you use the RuneQuest rules to game in Glorantha?

Do you use the RuneQuest rules to game in Glorantha?

• Use RuneQuest rules to game in Glorantha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use RuneQuest rules to game in a different campaign world

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WildHealer

Mongoose
We've been talking about generic rules vs Gloranthan rules, usefulness of BRP, Stormbringer5, and so on, in various threads. I was just wondering if RuneQuest's magic, charm, popularity, etc, rests mainly on its appropriateness (or not) for the Gloranthan campaign world & its attendant monsters, magics, cults, etc. Frex, I don't actually know anyone who's played long-term with the RuneQuest rules in a campaign world other than Glorantha (I'm sure they must be out there!).

That's the question - do you use RQ to game in Glorantha, or in a different campaign world?

Cheers,

Sarah

I can't answer this one :)

I fit into the "will be using the RQ rules to game in a lot of worlds, including Glorantha" category. I'd not put Glorantha above or below any of the others in my current intentions. To me it's another game world I'll have open to me (as well as a new pile of background books to read and absorb).

My personal hope is that a few people jump on the RQ bandwagon for this and do licensed settings, in the same way that was done for d20.

Oops - perhaps I should have added a third option there! Don't seem to be able to edit a poll to add an option - sorry!

sarahnewton said:
We've been talking about generic rules vs Gloranthan rules, usefulness of BRP, Stormbringer5, and so on, in various threads. I was just wondering if RuneQuest's magic, charm, popularity, etc, rests mainly on its appropriateness (or not) for the Gloranthan campaign world & its attendant monsters, magics, cults, etc. Frex, I don't actually know anyone who's played long-term with the RuneQuest rules in a campaign world other than Glorantha (I'm sure they must be out there!).

That's the question - do you use RQ to game in Glorantha, or in a different campaign world?

Cheers,

Sarah

While it has some interesting stuff, I never was very fond of Glorantha. (eg hate ducks, dwarfs, elves and jackobears) So we played several campaigns with RQ3 rules in other settings (fantasy and even SF) years ago.

sarahnewton said:
Oops - perhaps I should have added a third option there! Don't seem to be able to edit a poll to add an option - sorry!

No problem, as my answer is 1/2 column A and 1/2 column B it wouldn't skew either of them :) "inbetween" answers usually only draw votes away from the real questions anyway.

I used 2nd and 3rd edition with Glorantha as the setting mainly, but I also ran games in the Questworld setting.

I'm using MRQ for Traveller at the moment, just to get a feel for the rules and to see if they are as generic as touted (they're working fine up to now :)).

Once Mongoose releases more of the 2nd age Glorantha stuff I'll be switching over to that for a while.

(I had a group playing Ringworld once who found a Glorantha "map"in one of the oceans...)

Although I loved the rich tapestry of myth and legend Stafford created with Glorantha, I'm not a big fan of the idea of playing in 2nd Age Glorantha.

I initially was planning on using MRQ as the basis for a new campaign and world I had been working on, but it's increasingly looking like I'll just end up using RQ3 as its framework instead.

Currently I am GMing RQ3 campaign in Glorantha, in a little modified form (but I think every GM will create his own one).

Next campaign will start soon, MRQ and Glorantha, for sure.

I plan on using it for: Diomin, Glorantha, Eldritch Kingdoms, and a couple of other ideas floating around in my head. :)

Hyrum.

I'm currently using it to start a game in Domibia -- my "homebrew" fantasy setting that was written with RQ3 in mind wearing Glorantha-tinted glasses -- this coming Thursday.

I'm going to use it for Gatecrasher 2371 a complete re-write of our Fudge-based science fantasy adventure game.

Our RQ3 campaign has been set in Questworld for a long time. Mainly because it had a more complete world map at the time and lots of "space" to fill in new/different stuff.

However, we do use the source material from Glorantha. All the same deities are there (plus some others from other sources). We've managed to shoehorn most of the classic Gloranthan cultures into our world (mostly the Lunar Empire and surrounding kingdoms as well as Pavis and Sun County). We've also got the Ranken Empire (complete with Sanctuary) off in another part of the world, as well as dozens of other totally original areas, nations and cultures.

Hard to answer the question though. It's about 80% gloranthan in terms of play. A player from a Gloranthan campaign would recognize just about everything in the game other then physical locations.

I was going to use Runequest for Glorantha, and then transport the heroes to Ashfar for the Drow War. I might still do that, someday.

But lately I've been feeling like I, at least, need a change of pace from dark age campaigns. So I decided to do a Runequest Modern and set a series of adventures in the 1970s on modern-day Earth.

There is also a poll on this on RPGnet.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=280396

Slightly more detailed poll with some interesting results.

Back