[[[Playtest Focus]]] New Missile Rules

Just as a comment at MCr4 and 2 tons a ship worth its salt will have the Counter Measures Suite for Electronic Warfare.

Right, my mission today: Sort this out!

I have posted a new set of mechanics here: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=118024

The ideas for using EW and PD to remove actual missiles is a good one, and now included.

Possible further ideas here: Does the Gunner check for PD need to be Difficult? And there is an opportunity to add ECCM/hardened warheads to missiles in High Guard, making EW more difficult.

There is still just one attack roll for the entire salvo - I really think this is the way forward. Remaining missiles provide DM based on their number, and damage dice increase with Effect, but this need not be at a linear rate.

At the moment I have left it at +1 per 5 missiles for convenience, but happy to alter this or, indeed, have a sliding scale so we get diminishing returns. This opens the way to handling bays and capital ships using exactly the same system...

Anyway, check out the link, and let me know what you think!

Chas said:
Just as a comment at MCr4 and 2 tons a ship worth its salt will have the Counter Measures Suite for Electronic Warfare.

Hmm, don't really want to mess with the tonnage, but that price could go seriously upwards...

msprange said:
Possible further ideas here: Does the Gunner check for PD need to be Difficult? And there is an opportunity to add ECCM/hardened warheads to missiles in High Guard, making EW more difficult.

If PD task is Difficult, the risk is that only optimised military ships with high Gunnery skill will even bother. A Free Trader with a single laser and Gunnery-1 will not stop many missiles. Note that in my examples earlier in the thread civilians could not get EW to work.

EW can be expanded, perhaps with a TL modifier. TL15 ships has few advantages over TL12 otherwise.

AnotherDilbert said:
If PD task is Difficult, the risk is that only optimised military ships with high Gunnery skill will even bother. A Free Trader with a single laser and Gunnery-1 will not stop many missiles. Note that in my examples earlier in the thread civilians could not get EW to work.

EW can be expanded, perhaps with a TL modifier. TL15 ships has few advantages over TL12 otherwise.

Well, first question - should a Free Trader with a single laser and Gunner 1 stop many missiles anyway? Should 1 or 2 not be a reasonable limit?

Once we get the ratio of missiles vs. DM sorted, I'll take a look at TLs on EW. You are right, it could make high TL ships _very_ powerful, which is kinda what we want :)

msprange said:
Well, first question - should a Free Trader with a single laser and Gunner 1 stop many missiles anyway? Should 1 or 2 not be a reasonable limit?

Well, they should at least HOPE to stop 1 or 2 missiles. Once it gets too difficult they will not bother to buy the laser.

Just dropping in here to highlight a concern.

We need to be careful to ensure missile rules don't make torpedoes (heavy missiles) less effective if fired as salvos. Any damage modifiers for heavy missiles should include a factor for being... well... heavy missiles. :D

Missiles III has just been posted - and I think we vae almost/just about licked this!

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=118038

Dracous said:
We need to be careful to ensure missile rules don't make torpedoes (heavy missiles) less effective if fired as salvos. Any damage modifiers for heavy missiles should include a factor for being... well... heavy missiles. :D

I'm not worried about torpedoes.
They do a lot more damage per torpedo, especially after armour.
They are a lot more resistant to Point Defence.

Military ships will likely shoot torpedoes, rather than missiles, at you.

Back