Planning to order this books (pastiche), need advice

Vincent791

Mongoose
I read a couple of topics about Jordan and Moore, but I'd like to do some research before buying this books:

The Conan Chronicles, Volume 1 (Hardcover) by Robert Jordan
The Further Chronicles of Conan by Robert Jordan
Conan and the Emerald Lotus by John C Hocking
Conan and the Grim Grey God by Sean A Moore
Conan and the Manhunters by John Maddox Roberts
Conan and the Amazon by John Maddox Roberts

I've only read Howard's Conan, so I don't know anything about other writers. Thanks in advance!

Vincent791 said:

This one isn't too bad. Nobody writes Conan like Robert E. Howard, but at least this one has a decent story and interesting locations.

- thulsa

Those aren't bad choices.

Have you considered looking for Howard's non-Conan stories?

I saw Bran Mak Morn at my local store, but the book costs $90, it's a beautiful edition, but out of reach for the moment.

I personally like the Robert Jordan Conan stories. It is definately NOT REH, but the books are all entertaining. I have both of the collections that you mention and have enjoyed reading them several times. They all have lots of action and let's just say that Conan does VERY well with the ladies! Of all the pastiche stories that I've read, I think the Jordan ones are among the best. Again, they are not in the same ballpark as the REH originals, but they will entertain.

Well, it seems like a good buy then, I'll order all those books.

For the moment those books will be more than enough, but do you have any other recommendations?

I'll look for those Solomon Kane stories online, I'll try to look for the Bran Mak Morn book at a more reasonable price.

I must admit I haven't read these myself but as I just got back to the forums today (have been away for a while) I remembered from last time references to an African-centric land and characters whose protagonist was a Conan-like warrior, Imaro, which came from this forum: BLACK CONAN is back!

Here's another forum where the exact same question was asked by The Warlord: Conan Pastiche Help!

Well, it's very late and I ran out of steam looking for other things to post instead of just going to look at my own collection, so I'll sign off here. :wink:

Hi man! Good to see you around!

Well, I just receive my books! I got this titles:

The Conan Chronicles, Volume 1 (Hardcover) by Robert Jordan
The Further Chronicles of Conan by Robert Jordan
Conan and the Grim Grey God by Sean A Moore
Conan and the Manhunters by John Maddox Roberts
Conan and the Amazon by John Maddox Roberts

I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but hey! some of them are beautiful!

Any suggested order to read those books? Thanks in advance!

Back