Phys Rep

Travire

Mongoose
Having my ex-D&D players question why I was not using miniatures in my Paranoia game has given me an evil idea I thought I'd share.

Next game I plan to dish out some red clearance jelly babies ! ( That's probably jello babies to our friends in the US ).

Packets of jelly babies are full of clones of all security clearances. They are also ideal for demonstrating what happens to a players clone - when ( if ) their clone meets a horrible end just drop a large heavy book on top of the jelly baby to demonstrate the effects of the trash compactor / transbot accident / giant radioactive commie mutant cockroach. Its remarkably effective !

This plan has only one flaw. They might actually eat the jelly babies representing their character. If so, tell them to cross off a clone and go out and buy some more jelly babies. Heaven help them if they consume a higher clearance jelly baby !

Excellent idea. (In North America they're "jelly beans.") If you combine this idea with the use of candy as edible Perversity Points, suggested by R. Eric Reuss in his PARANOIA supplement The Mutant Experience, your game sessions could become quite snacky.

Really, I thought Jelly Babies were quite distinct from jelly beans, we have both over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Babies

GRJ-233_250px.jpg

LBH

Thanks, I like the photo, just another day in Alpha Complex.

I also followed your link to the Wikipedia entry and found the following...

A school experiment (see screaming jelly babies) is to put them in a strong oxidising agent, and see the resulting spectacular reaction.

I might have to try this for when a troubleshooter falls into a vat of acid ! If I can just get hold of some potassium chlorate, and re-write the adventure slightly to actually include a vat of acid.

See, Paranoia is fun and educational !

Yeesh, what are those deformed things? Okay, jelly babies aren't jellybeans. Sorry, I always assumed they were the same, without ever confirming it.

Back