Perceptive Defence

Voltumna

Mongoose
As a move action you may make a spot check (dc 10+ your opponents relex save bonus). If successful you may name an action you think your opponent might take. If he takes this action at any time during the combat, you may make an attack of opportunity against him. If you name an action that would normally invite an attack of opportunity, you may make two attacks, so long as you have combat reflexes or some other ability that allows moltiple attacks of opportunity per round.

Let's say a player says if the opponent attacks him, he will make a AOO, would this allow him to make a AOO every time he is attacked by that opponent? Given he can make more than one AOO per round?

"If he takes this action at any time during the combat, you may make an attack of opportunity against him." Does this mean the feat lasts throughout the entire combat?

Thanks,

This is to simulate Conan's ability to cut an opponent down just as said opponent began his attack?

"Your keen perception affords you opportunities in combat that others overlok."

Perceptive defence is a feat from Shadizar City of Wikedness book II.

I think the feat lasts for all of the combat until the AoO is used. After this, you need to spend a move action in the Spot check again if you wish to get new AoO. This way it isn't so unbalancing.

Maximo said:
I think the feat lasts for all of the combat until the AoO is used. After this, you need to spend a move action in the Spot check again if you wish to get new AoO. This way it isn't so unbalancing.

Correct.

So you spend a move action for one extra attack? Is that worth it?

Actually, now that I think about it, it is. You get to store a free attack, which not other feat allows you to do. Plus you could prepare for a Tumble and get a shot at the tricky bastard when rolls by.

Sutek said:
Does it work for ranged attacks? Doesn't seem to say that it doesn't.

Ranged attacks don't threaten an area, so they don't get attacks of opportunity. I'd assume this feat doesn't change that.

It doesn't say that though. It says you make your Spot check and name an action that you anticipate the opponent might take. If he makes that action, you get an AoA.

No square need be threatened directly according to the way it's writtten...

Back