Pathenia

What the heck is Pathenia? Where was it first mentioned? What is happening there and who, if any, is inhabiting it? (Giant apes?).

I don't remember any Conan tale where this region appeared or was mentioned, so I suppose it has something to do with some of the "pasti-thingies". But I happen to own quite a number of them (and even have actually read most of these!).

I think I can only recall something related to Erlik or Erlik worship coming from there... Is that for real or I am mistaking here?

Pathenia:---a "forbidden" country presumed to be in the bare, black mountainous uplands of northern Khitai, beyond the Loulan Plateau. It was the home of gigantopithecan snow-apes. Yahlgan, the Sacred City of Erlik is in Pathenia. (Flame Knife, Savage Sword #219, "Black Hound of Death", by Roy Thomas)

Does that help? :)

Interesting, since it came from the Flame Knife with REH and de Camp, I wonder how much of Pathenia (i.e., its existence) came from REH versus de Camp...

slaughterj said:
Interesting, since it came from the Flame Knife with REH and de Camp, I wonder how much of Pathenia (i.e., its existence) came from REH versus de Camp...

As far as I know, Pathenia was a DeCamp's creation. Originaly The Flame Knife was an El Borak's tale, named Three-Bladed Doom and written by REH.

Back