painting fighters

inq101

Mongoose
does anyone have advice for painting fighters? Is it best to paint them on the sprue, clip them off first or glue them to the bases?

absolutely! on the sprue... (otherwise use some blue tack to stick them to the head of a strait pin for painting).

Ripple

actually the best way I found to do the fighters is I cut them completely off the sprue and the base. Use a pin vice drill and drill a hole in the bottom of the fighter and a hole in the stand. Use a different lengths of rod so the fighters are a different elevations and paint. Painting them this way was incredibly easy but the actual clean up and mounting on the display stand was a major pain in the back side.

fighters.jpg

Scheel

(EA)Urobach said:
Banzai said:
Bostich said:
Having done both I'd say it's much easier to paint them on the sprue.

+100000000000000000000000

Pain in the butt when they're off the sprue

oh noooooooo....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

all my new dilgar fighter are off the sprue and all my new firebolts, also...

Hopefully you still have the diamond looking portion of the sprue on the cylinder that attaches to the bottom of the fighter. In your case, I super glue the diamond piece onto a popsicle stick. You can easily get quite a few on them and still have plenty of room to paint. Clip off under the cylinder as you would normally.

If all you have is the mounting stick...well..... :idea: :idea: :idea: in that case I've resorted to buying about 1/2 dozen sets of plastic surgical clamps from the local freight tool store. Saves you from pulling your hair out!

ahm..no.. all the fighters are COMPLETLY clean. strange....
but don´t worry...that was only an joke with the "oh noooooo" :lol:

i am really patient with such "VERY" small thing. ...your know.
its an "must have" when you sculpt or scratchbuild ships.

do you know your chronos frigate??? yes,... do you see this VERY little turrets on the top of the ship...with such small things i work, often. :wink:

but...14 thorun flights are still 14 thorun flights :roll: a lot of work....

For me definitely off the spru and based, much like Scheel. It's much easier to clean them and mount them first. Once they are mounted on the 1/32" rod it is very easy to primer and paint them.

Banzai said:
(EA)Urobach said:
Banzai said:
+100000000000000000000000

Pain in the butt when they're off the sprue

oh noooooooo....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

all my new dilgar fighter are off the sprue and all my new firebolts, also...

Hopefully you still have the diamond looking portion of the sprue on the cylinder that attaches to the bottom of the fighter. In your case, I super glue the diamond piece onto a popsicle stick. You can easily get quite a few on them and still have plenty of room to paint. Clip off under the cylinder as you would normally.

If all you have is the mounting stick...well..... :idea: :idea: :idea: in that case I've resorted to buying about 1/2 dozen sets of plastic surgical clamps from the local freight tool store. Saves you from pulling your hair out!

My Dilgar fighters were all off the sprues (with smooth based-pegs) as well, and I was able to glue them onto a length of sprue no problem and paint away

my thunderbolts are off the Sprue as well, i asked russ and he didnt know proberbly someone reusing the metal or a new moulding prosess.

thunderbolt.jpg

On the sprue for all the older ones, but the new releases (Badgers and Pikatos at least) have long stems and are just as easy to paint on the base.

Back