painted marauders and exosuits

tneva82

Mongoose
(note. Don't bother to comment on unfinished bases. Until I can find source for woodland scenic flocks that doesn't require credit card I cannot finish them. As such I also can't put cockpits to the models because then I couldn't put coat of varnish to bases as final touchup without screwing up cockpits. Unfortunate but not much of a choise here).

Got bunch of models on friday+chainmail paint which was needed to finish first 5 marauders so saturday was spent painting a lot of models. Result: I now have painted 2000 pts marauder platoon and about 1000 pts of exosuits :D New Finlands 34th battalion has been reinforced once more.

www.tneva.net/pics/sst/exosuit

There's the grizzly lietnaunt and 2 squads of 3 exosuits(2 cougar and grizzly each). TO&E says they are squads 3 and 4 from charlie companys second platoon so that's why files are named squad3 or squad4 etc. Squad 1 is all grizzly squad while squad 2 is all cougar. They(and remaining members of these 2 squads. They ARE supposed to be 4 cougars+grizzly each) will come later.

www.tneva.net/pics/sst/marauder

The NCO is for cap platoon but platoon_nco's and squads are what I painted up. 2 NCO's in bigfoots(lietnaunt will be in M9 chickenhawk), 2 ape squads and chickenhawk squad. Squads are ATM 2 strong(3rd will be added later). Squad 2(the one with funny arms) is apes with hel infantry flamers. Poor availability of bits so had to improvise something and that's best I was able to do. Not much but something. I might retromodel them with something better when I get back.

And finally: Whole lot. Note that 5 marauders were painted(except for metal parts) previously but rest were done on that day:

wholelot.jpg

I think the camo the more I look at it. It really does work. Did you paint the Marauders assembled or not? I guess assembled. I started painting one at the weekend, but I think I should have left it in a few bits for painting.

Jellicoe said:
I think the camo the more I look at it. It really does work.

Thank you :D That camo has been used quite a lot by me as I like it as well. First in the 40k IG army(liked that army a lot. Had lots of character but 4th ed ruined already challenging army to play), then in epic IG and now in MI. Funny thing is the MI is even better represantion of the IG army's playing style than the IG army was.

Did you paint the Marauders assembled or not? I guess assembled. I started painting one at the weekend, but I think I should have left it in a few bits for painting.

Assembled. Should have painted inside of cockpit(and pilot) and the arms unassembled but I'm too impatient for that. Had to see marauders assembled ASAP. Result: If you look at them at wrong angles you can see unpainted areas. Lucky thing those don't show up well unless you specifically look at them.

Oh and by the way: Those exosuit models ROCK! Love them already. Were bit of annoying to assemble(and cougar box had 1 pair of arms as 2 right arms. Lucky thing grizzly box came with spares :D) but they look just stunning. Cougars especially benefit from being able to see them live. Pictures IMO don't do justice to cougars. Never liked them from looking at the pictures at website but now I'm starting to like them a lot.

nice. i'm also going for a exosuit/marauder army (well, i do have 7 cougies and one m8 at the moment :lol: ). heck, if i manage to take a decent pic(a problem with the camera i have) i'll try to upload the cougies and the one exo
anyway, as i said-the models are painted nice and look good as a force, something that i think is hard when you have only a handful of models.
are the open cockpits intentional,or are they just not yet assembled?

tneva82 said:
Assembled. Should have painted inside of cockpit(and pilot) and the arms unassembled but I'm too impatient for that. Had to see marauders assembled ASAP. Result: If you look at them at wrong angles you can see unpainted areas. Lucky thing those don't show up well unless you specifically look at them.

Same here. Once you are on a role building its kind of hard just to stop and paint and wait. I might just go for the easy option and paint the canopy a dull silver or something. Getting a paint brush in there is just a bit too hard for me.

i find if i spary undercpoat entire modle with black spray the bits the brush misses is black so looks like natural shadow, its a great concept for speed painting ;)

imHo
the lefmost M8 looks best becouse his dots are most irregular(EDIT in terms of shape).

I think the camo the more I look at it. It really does work.
same here, but I really think that You should make the dots more irregular
("near to circle" shape is good)

Poko said:
are the open cockpits intentional,or are they just not yet assembled?

I touched that in the opening message but probably not clearly enough. Anyway until I can find out source for woodland scenic stuff that does not require credit card(or go back to Finland) I can't finish my bases. Can't finish my bases=can't put last coat of varnish over them either. The clear plastic cockpits+varnish does not mix very well(already tried that one with spare :lol: Didn't react well at all to the darn varnish.).

So they are intentionally not assembled. I have painted them and they just wait glue but until I can finish the bases that has to wait. I would like those clear cockpits to STAY clear so you can see the pilot inside :D

Mr Evil said:
i find if i spary undercpoat entire modle with black spray the bits the brush misses is black so looks like natural shadow, its a great concept for speed painting ;)

Unfortunatly that would then require additional coat of white over appropriate places as black undercoat leads to wrong shade of colour for whole model(too dark).

What I REALLY wish would be graveyard earth spray! Since first step in the painting of my MI is "paint practically everything in graveyard earth" anyway that would save HEAPS of time. GW(or Mongoose) are you listening? Give me graveyard earth spray paint!

Wonder how fast I could paint if that would appear? That's pretty much THE slowest part of the process...

Check out tamiya sprays (how ever you spell it) or humbrol, they do a good range of military colours, ive also heard mention of krylon.

that said all my figs have black undercoat ! and i like the dullness, a method i used years ago was to spray my figs white then give them a black ink wash this kept the deep areas dark but the colours stayed very bright as the ink didnt hang around on the surfaces.

here is my exo suits with a balck undercoat and a spray of dull coat.

DSCF0004.jpg

Mr Evil said:
Check out tamiya sprays (how ever you spell it) or humbrol, they do a good range of military colours, ive also heard mention of krylon.

that said all my figs have black undercoat ! and i like the dullness, a method i used years ago was to spray my figs white then give them a black ink wash this kept the deep areas dark but the colours stayed very bright as the ink didnt hang around on the surfaces.

DSCF0004.jpg

Damn you and you're awesome conversions and gritty paintjobs!

I love the CHAS. I will have to make a new MI army, but a real one, not a joke one.
One that doesnt annoy Reborn.

Rob_alderman said:
Mr Evil said:

DSCF0004.jpg

Damn you and you're awesome conversions and gritty paintjobs!

I love the CHAS. I will have to make a new MI army, but a real one, not a joke one.
One that doesnt annoy Reborn.
CHAS' and some exosuits, the heads for the chas are cadian helmets :)

Back