Other 2000AD Games

What 2000AD-based Miniatures Game Should Come Next?

• Rogue Trooper

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Strontium Dog (and Durham Red?)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • ABC Warriors

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Nemesis the Warlock

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Slaine

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • DR & Quinch (not sure how that would work...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikolai Dante (again...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
First off, let me say that a huge amount of our attention is being put onto the Judge Dredd miniatures game. We have a lot of work ahead of us, with the rulebook revision, Block War and, of course, lots of yummy miniatures coming out of the Kickstarter.

So, that is where our focus is.

However...

It is part of the games designer's disease that, when we are not tinkering with existing game systems, we are sketching out new ones. Just idle ideas, on the back of an envelope (or a little black notebook, in my case). So I cannot help wondering, what other 2000AD-based miniatures games should we be looking at.

For obvious reasons, we should keep it to the 'mainstream' 2000AD universes for now (so, however good a VCs game might be, it is not really going to be a winner). But I kinda love them all :) As Judge Dredd has been very much comunity-led as a game, I thought it might be an idea to court your thoughts on what should come next, perhaps in 2013...

Remember, I am _not_ asking what miniatures you want to see, but what _game_ should be made from them.

I am also thinking they should all use the Judge Dredd system, at least at its core, to maintain some level of compatibility.

I picked Rogue Trooper, although The ABCs (which spin into Nemesis easily) was a hairs breadth behind. I suspect that the ABCs will be the most popular in that poll. Like you Matt, I would be interested in nearly all of them. I would have to pick up a D.R. & Quinch pack, but a D.R. & Quinch miniatures game? Probably not ;)

A Rogue Trooper mass battle game would not do it for me. My days of assembling army sized forces of miniatures are over.

A skirmish game that somehow conjured up that weird Nort-weapon-of-the-week feeling of early Rogue Trooper stories, possibly with linked scenarios that helped with "The Fugitive" like pursuit of the Traitor General would be fantastic if you guys could pull it off.

If I could get a 10-15 Southers, 10-15 Norts a couple of tanks or flyers for each force, Rogue, Friday, Venus and separate models for Helm, Gunnar and Bagman (as in just a piece of equipment rather than re-gened GIs) and play games that felt like the strip, then that would be a childhood dream come true.

Using the same game mechanics as JDMG would be a very good move. I can only keep a certain number of rule sets in my head and I wouldnt want a Rogue Trooper ruleset to push a Dredd one out.

But stay focused on Dredd for the time being please. Lots and lots more to do there beforehand :)

Rogue Trooper got my vote, though Nemesis series was very tempting. I'm sure Termite Empire miniatures would double up for use with those who played skirmish games with other companies settings.

Rogue because I think it transfers best - Nemesis though great is to RPG/single figure gaming, as are several of the others.

Stront Dog is weird in terms of workability - could work but might be better RPG and there has been crossover with Dredd.

ABC and Slaine are the next best set for Dredd gang size skirmish after Rogue IMO

Strontium Dogs - as it easy to cross over and mostly because I want a Durham Red figure :) or several given the different looks she has :)

I think Rogue Trooper for a skirmish game. It was definitely my favourte 2000AD strip. I still have my old GW figures.

Although a small figure game might suit Strontium Dog better.

I voted Rogue Trooper.

I think a 28mm wargame, based on two battle levels, skirmish and war, would be the way to go.

Skirmish is based on heroes like the Rogue Trooper, and small engagments with somewhere between 10-30 models, most of whom are mooks that heroes tear through. The victory conditions are based on achieving objectives, and there is a detailed objective system with side quests. It can be tied together in a narrative campaign of linked scenarios like the various collected comics for the earlier Rogue adventures put out a little while ago.

War is a full on mass combat system involving battles at company level, including supporting vehicles.

The starter gives you enough to do skirmish.

You then expand it through various boxes of metal miniatures or resin/metal hybrid vehicles.

If the market is large enough to do plastics then I would seriously consider doing a Nort trooper squad in plastic, for the following reasons

- it'll encourage the game to be played as a massed battle
- they're likely to be the most used unit
- a well designed plastic kit will help sell the whole range
- there are a few reasons why squads of future humans in gas masks with auto rifle type weapons could sell like hot cakes, but I'm sure they occur to you as well.

Looking at things like the Gripping beast plastics, or Conquest games, neither of which are big companies, a well designed plastic sprue has the potential to sell very well indeed. They also seem to manage to pay to get the plastics done by Renedra despite not being particularly big companies.

The money spinner for skirmish level gamers is additional characters from the comics.

The money spinner for war level gamers is additional boxed sets of troops, vehicles, etc.

The way you set the game up means skirmish is a slippery slope to war (so everything in one level can be used in the other).

Slaine would be great, but it would be competing with historical minis already out (so rank and file guys could be filled in with Warlord Games Celts for instance). With Rogue Trooper people are buying new armies, and we all know the money is in the minis.

Wot No VCs? It's begging for a wargame - dogfight and/or infantry skirmish!
250px-VCs_trade_cover.jpg

For that matter, it's a very good match for Traveller; half a dozen guys and a gunship.

Given some gamers interest in Hostoria Rodentia, maybe Meltdown Man Yujee miniatures would appeal as a Sci-Fi version of their passion ?

I voted for Rogue Trooper it was still very close between ABC Warriors and Strotum Dogs

I think Johnny Alpha in charge of a squad of Bounty hunters going out into space and time to collect bounties would be a great campaign system.

Each game is a bounty you would earn XX credits by collecting the perp. another gang is also trying to collect the perp as well and its a race. of course there may be bounties on the enemy force you could collect.

As for Rogue Trooper I 2nd the need for a smaller skirmish type game as most of us don't have time to paint up a large force and then try and play a 10 hour game.

Keep it simple stupid is a good motto to live by.

Have Rogue, Southers, Norts, various heavy weapons, the Nort dames, the rest of the guys as either miniatures or cards [Bagman, the helm and Gun]
but keeping in mind the campaign would be trying to find out who and where the Traitor is. so each mission would send him off it a certain direction.

or you could play single type mission eg go destroy Nort comms base, find secret weapon etc...

Looking forward to getting my Rogue Trooper Souther/Nort Troopers as well..

Cheers
LGW

My opinion is that most of those games would literally be an add on to your existing ruleset. Such as:

Rogue Trooper
Strontium Dog (and Durham Red?)
Nemesis the Warlock
Slaine

Unless of course you went down the boardgame route, so :

DR & Quinch (not sure how that would work...)
Nikolai Dante (again...)

could then be accounted for, but I don't know if they are as popular.

Regards:

ABC Warriors,

Well you then have an opportunity to merge them both. Such as, for example, Battletech/Warmaster/Epic/Warjack? is it? crossover. So a different concept, with perhaps cards, a deck, or tick off cards, or sheets with wounds to cross off, upgrades throughout the game, random items dropped/collected etc. Reinforcement drops, losses in space, windage, ammo drops missing target and being collected by the other team etc. Lot off room there!

Anyway, I've only played Bab 5 of yours, just so you know where I am.

Top choice for me would be Dante - a huge variety of factions, terrific retro-futuristic uniform designs for the Romanovs and Makarovs, with Dante himself and the Rudinshtein Irregulars, his mother's Pirates, plus all manner of (always-popular) Animal-men, Vampires, Amazons and Aliens. Just crying out to be a miniatures game.

After that it has to be Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC Warriors, which would open up the scope to include not just the Terminators and the Volgs, but also the pseudo-Victorian madness of the Gothic Empire, the gangs of the Time Wastes, the Basilisks and the spider Jailers, Cyboons and zombie bikers, Tripods and Great Uncle Baal.'s dancing skeletons Why this game doesn't exist is simply beyond me.

I know that the real money should be on either ABC Warriors or Rogue Trooper for a miniature based combat game, but I would really love to see a Strontium Dog based game! Strontium Dog is a very wild west style setting which would be perfect for a game in the same style as Dredd.

Dr & Quinch though now thems good eating :) S'right
(even got as far as a first draft of a Dr & Quinch rpg a while ago but thats another story :))
Marc

Dredd Times said:
I know that the real money should be on either ABC Warriors or Rogue Trooper for a miniature based combat game
ABC Warriors would get my Vote first!

Dredd Times said:
Strontium Dog is a very wild west style setting which would be perfect for a game in the same style as Dredd
TOTALLY!

Back