Ordo Draconis #2 and future of DW

Hey fellas,

Absolutely loved issue one. Anyone one know if there are going to be any plans for a second issue?

As I mentioned in another thread, I had no experience with DW prior to this release, so am looking to get any material I can get! :)

Also, sorta coming back to the rpg hobby after a few years dabbling in minis games. I understand rpgs don't sell like they used to. What's the outlook for Dragon Warriors? I think I might be running the only pen and paper group in central Texas, but how is it doing in the rest of the world? Can European sales keep it afloat?

Ironically, at 35, I'm more interested in rpgs than I ever have been. Hate to see them go away...

Same here Cursed. I hate to see rpg loosing their appeal on new generations. I am 37 yo and I began to play when I was 14 with D&D. I never played DW before... I just got my copy and I'm planning to start a campaign in few months (after my current AD&D campaign is over).
I loved ORDO DRACONIS and I hope to DW will sales well, so we'll get a lot of great supports for this awesome old-school game! :D
Are you already playing to it? Are you a GM? It would be nice to exchange our impressions, since we're both new to DW!
Take care!

Niki said:
Same here Cursed. I hate to see rpg loosing their appeal on new generations. I am 37 yo and I began to play when I was 14 with D&D. I never played DW before... I just got my copy and I'm planning to start a campaign in few months (after my current AD&D campaign is over).
I loved ORDO DRACONIS and I hope to DW will sales well, so we'll get a lot of great supports for this awesome old-school game! :D
Are you already playing to it? Are you a GM? It would be nice to exchange our impressions, since we're both new to DW!
Take care!

Hey, Niki.

Yeah, I ran my first session last week. I started the group off with the intro adventure from the core rulebook. Though we started later in the evening (around 10:45pm) we got about half way through by 12:30. That's pretty good! This is with three players new to DW and one new to rpgs in general. Very easy game to grasp and start running.

To me, it seems like a lot of rpgs have been leaning towards the tactical side and combats require longer and longer time as the players and gms analyze their options and positions. Again, leaving minis behind for awhile, I have no interested in this. In DW the combat was quick and easy...and more importantly explained through narrative, much like the rpgs I remember in the early 80's. I loved it.

I've since gone on and printed out pretty much any resources I could find on DW. Next session we'll be finishing the intro adventure, then I think they're going to visit that underground prison adventure from S&P then on to Sleeping Gods.

CursedEarthPizza said:
Hey, Niki.

Yeah, I ran my first session last week. I started the group off with the intro adventure from the core rulebook. Though we started later in the evening (around 10:45pm) we got about half way through by 12:30. That's pretty good! This is with three players new to DW and one new to rpgs in general. Very easy game to grasp and start running.

To me, it seems like a lot of rpgs have been leaning towards the tactical side and combats require longer and longer time as the players and gms analyze their options and positions. Again, leaving minis behind for awhile, I have no interested in this. In DW the combat was quick and easy...and more importantly explained through narrative, much like the rpgs I remember in the early 80's. I loved it.

I've since gone on and printed out pretty much any resources I could find on DW. Next session we'll be finishing the intro adventure, then I think they're going to visit that underground prison adventure from S&P then on to Sleeping Gods.

Hi!
Thanks for your reply!
I understand what do you mean about the tactical side of some modern rpgs. I gamesmastered Mongoose RuneQuest for about 2 years and I'm now terribly bored about its fighting rules. I was looking for something easy to grasp and with a good rythm of play. DW seems what I was seeking for.

I am planning to use DW in my own world (a quite grim and claustrophobic one, I like horror-fantasy themes) and I'll adapt almost all the stuff from Magnum Opus Press. I think I'll begin with "The Darkness before Dawn" just as you did and then I'll let the players go toward Sleeping Gods. I will also buy Elven Crystals and Prince of Darkness.

I had the same feeling of yours reading the corebook. DW reminded me the old rpgs and gamebooks I played in the '80s. I love that atmosphear.

Niki said:
I understand what do you mean about the tactical side of some modern rpgs. I gamesmastered Mongoose RuneQuest for about 2 years and I'm now terribly bored about its fighting rules.

You may be interested in reading the most recent Planet Mongoose post then.

LBH

My understanding is that there are indeed plans for a second issue next year - although exactly when it will be published is a different story.

It's slow going, but I am working on a cover for issue 2 in my spare time. So there better be an issue 2. Otherwise I'm warning you guys, I may get petulant on the internet.

Jonny Hodgson said:
It's slow going, but I am working on a cover for issue 2 in my spare time. So there better be an issue 2. Otherwise I'm warning you guys, I may get petulant on the internet.

I hope so too so that my adventures from issue 1 get a setting.:)

Plus I have some other stuff I'm hoping gets in as well.

Did you get my friend request on FB? :oops:

Facebook - what's that? :)

I'd like to have a bash at an article for Ordo #2/3 but I can't decide what to write...

lastbesthope said:
Niki said:
I understand what do you mean about the tactical side of some modern rpgs. I gamesmastered Mongoose RuneQuest for about 2 years and I'm now terribly bored about its fighting rules.

You may be interested in reading the most recent Planet Mongoose post then.

LBH

Thank you for this note, LBH! :D
But I'm tired about RQ by now, and I'm very excited about DW! I will wait to see what Mongoose did with this new RQII, and, if it will be worth of, perhaps I'll buy it. So far, I'm much more interested in the awesome charm of DW.

DW is very cool. I bought the first three books when they first came out but it wasn't until years later that, whilst on ebay, I found out there were more to collect! That started up a new campaign (as I hadn't played for years) and then years on from that, whilst on ebay (again), I was checking out what DW was going for and I find that it's been reprinted.

Out comes the chequebook again!

As long as the guys over at Mongoose continue to have the guts (and the vision) to step out on a limb and go head to head with the popularity of the D20 system, White Wolf, Savage Worlds, GURPS, et al, you'll have people like us, who are looking for something different.

For me DW is an evenhanded, rules-light, well-grounded system, which captures the imagination as few other systems can. Over the years, like so many other RPGers, I've played every major system and quite a few minor ones - DW is the only system where I kept coming back again and again (GURPS is a close second but a lot of that is to do with the source books rather than the rules-heavy format).

My fingers are firmly crossed that DW is here to stay : )

Issue #2 is under production and will have a Cornumbrian theme. So those of you using my scenarios from OD #1 will have a setting to drop them into. :)

I can't remeber off hand but is Cornumbria a barbarian land. If so I would like to see some articles on the culture of the place especially religion and how Elementalists fit in...

Troll66 said:
I can't remeber off hand but is Cornumbria a barbarian land. If so I would like to see some articles on the culture of the place especially religion and how Elementalists fit in...

It has a strong resmblance to Wales and associated areas, there will be quite a bit on the culture, the monastic church, the remnants of the old ways and I know I wrote a bit on Elementalists in my adventures. I'll see if I can drop some more bits in for you.

Hi All,

Our position at Ordo on Cornumbria is that it is a fusion of elements from both medieval Wales and Ireland, with a bit of Cornwall thrown in. The southern half of Cornumbria is essentially Irish, and is mainly swamp and grasslands. The northern half is mountainous and is Welsh in character.

The contents of OD2 are roughly as follows:

For Whom the Bell Tolls: a full 18,000 word adventure set in a monastery that pits the PCs against sinister and shadowy forces. This adventure features 10 full colour maps and battle-maps, including stunning cartography of the whole of Northern Cornumbria by famed map-maker Kristain Richards.

Eastmarch: An Albish fief set amidst the Coronach Marshes, Eastmarch was a part of Cornumbria until seized forty years ago. The indigenous population now labour under the oppressive rule of the Albish Marcher Lord. Eastmarch is a setting that features a growing rebel faction, a secret druid cult, a mysterious knight, Albish spies, gateways to other worlds and all of this is surrounded by the swirling mists of the Coronach Marshes. The Town and fortress of Eastmarch are detailed in a full colour map and 10,000 word article that describes NPCs, places and plots.

The Thane: a Cornumbrian flavoured PC profession that describes the ancient tradition of Marshal champions who are masters of spear and shield fighting. The Thane boasts a number of special abilities, including reckless charge, and the use of a powerful spear that can stop foes in their tracks, intimidation and the ability to drink any other PC under the table. This profession are also often cursed with a flaw or even a geas to give roundness and depth to this class.

Darbon Barony: A serious article written by Damian May on his southernmost fief of Cornumbria including extensive notes on NPCs and locations to add an indefinable air of medieval Cornwall and Devon to your game. An area map from me caps off this excellent submission.

Fireside Tales: a cautionary Cornumbria story by Jon Reed, set in the Coronach Marshes and featuring a twist: your players will never be able to venture into the marshes without a grimace of fear again.

Scernariettes: Another offering from Damian May, this atmospheric article details legends and myths to enliven your games and to inspire micro-stores and mini-adventures.

The Thuland Campaign: Cameron Smith kicks off his article series describing the actual sessions of his epic PBM campaign, including notes on how to run the game for newbie GMs.

Finally a glossary and guide to naming NPCs by myself illustrates how you can use Welsh words and phrases to create a distinctive feel for adventures set in Northern Cornumbria and also offers guidance on how to pronounce some of them.

OD 2 should be available from RPGNow within the next 7-9 days.

Issue 2 is almost ready: it is laid out and we are just doing the final edits. We had a problem with some art that came late.

Incidentally: it is now about 100 pages long, so there is plenty to hold your interest.

I'm looking forward to it. BTW - it appears that I'll be running the first ever DW demo at the FLGS on the next Saturday. 8)

Back