Opinions about the new site

Baldo

Banded Mongoose
msprange said:
...We are sorting a few things out with our new web site.

Thanks for your answer! :) However, after seeing your new site, I have a few things to say:

The White Background
The graphics are pretty good, but I'm one of those unlucky people cursed with a feeble eyesight, and I'm forced to use an Add-on when confronted with the white backgrounds of most sites. I love Travellermap also because of its blackness, do you can get a darker theme for your site and forums?

The FAQ
Where is the FAQ page? Mongoose is a publisher and an online shop, the site *MUST* have a FAQ page, for customers ("What is the 'Standard Shipping', exactly?" and "What is the difference between sales@mongoosepublishing.com on the front page and msprange@mongoosepublishing.com in the Contact Us page?" are from me :wink: ... ) and aspiring contributors alike!

The Wish List
It doesn't work. Or at least, my old computer can't see it. I hope your site will be accessible even to people using old software and hardware because can't see the need for state-of-the-art tech (me, again. Got my computer assembled *CHEAPLY* in August 2012, and still using the same software since then, Windows Update was a pain :p ... ).

I just had trouble with it because of reflections, so I think it can affect everyone. The light gray is very low contrast against the white.

Does that old machine have internet explorer? You might want to update that, or get Firefox or Chrome if windows update is being useless. There's nothing in the site that's exceeds the computing power of a machine from that era, so it's software. Browser compatbility is a giant mess and IE is the worst. Most webdevs really don't want to support older IE. It's a lot of work for a small company that's also not native to tech.

Does your accessibility sofrware require the older browser?

That would indeed be a major problem. However, those older browsers also aren't secure so I wouldn't do anything you'd expect to be secure on that machine.

Moppy said:
Does your accessibility sofrware require the older browser?

This. I have Firefox 56.0, the last version supporting the old Add-on I've linked above. Can't upgrade because my Win7 system is slowly degrading to a total mess, but who cares? I mostly need the computer to read PDFs and other text-only contents, and it works fine for that. And besides, I *HATE* wasting time with maintenance, the computer is NOT your friend.

"The Computer will help you become happy. This will drive you crazy." :p

I'm not being nosy or anything; this is a programming topic I should learn to understand better. Are you able to use color filter apps to change the whole screen (all of windows itself)?

Moppy said:
Are you able to use color filter apps to change the whole screen (all of windows itself)?

http://www.webalice.it/gomibako/AllBlack.jpg

No difficult questions, please. I just installed that linked Addon on my Firefox browser, and now I can turn on the Black when encountering blinding backgrounds during my netsurfings. Unfortunately, that program doesn't work with more recent versions of Firefox (but ONLY on my computer, don't ask me why).

P.S.
I do have used windows to change the background colors of the menus in my computer (I much prefer a opaque yellow here), but for Internet I keep using the Addon.

Hi everyone,

We are aware of a couple of 'features' that need ironing out on the new web site - but thank you for your comments and keep them coming. We want to hear all your views on how it can be improved!

Baldo said:
Moppy said:
Are you able to use color filter apps to change the whole screen (all of windows itself)?

http://www.webalice.it/gomibako/AllBlack.jpg

No difficult questions, please. I just installed that linked Addon on my Firefox browser, and now I can turn on the Black when encountering blinding backgrounds during my netsurfings. Unfortunately, that program doesn't work with more recent versions of Firefox (but ONLY on my computer, don't ask me why).

P.S.
I do have used windows to change the background colors of the menus in my computer (I much prefer a opaque yellow here), but for Internet I keep using the Addon.

When you change the menu color and it only affects the menu - there apps called "color filters" that do it for the whole computer, even for websites. (This isn't completely technically accurate but I was told not to be).

Windows 10 has it built-in, in the "accessbility" menu.

Windows 7 does not have it, but you can find apps that do the same thing.

I don't know which ones are good or what colors you need. I hope you find a solution.

msprange said:
Hi everyone,

We are aware of a couple of 'features' that need ironing out on the new web site - but thank you for your comments and keep them coming. We want to hear all your views on how it can be improved!

Hi Matt,

Unless I missed it, I don't see any direct link to the Mongoose free downloads page from anywhere on the main site. I noticed recently when I wanted to download the 2D deck plans and had to do a Google search to find the link. Just thought I'd point it out.

bklokis said:
Unless I missed it, I don't see any direct link to the Mongoose free downloads page from anywhere on the main site. I noticed recently when I wanted to download the 2D deck plans and had to do a Google search to find the link. Just thought I'd point it out.

Aware of this, on its way - thanks!

Is there a problem with the site today? I tried logging in, but it rejected my password. I tried resetting my password, but never got the e-mail.

Jackstar said:
Is there a problem with the site today? I tried logging in, but it rejected my password. I tried resetting my password, but never got the e-mail.

Drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com and we will get you fixed!

Very good indeed

Just thought I'd mention that 1 friend of mine lost a bet with another friend of mine

The bet was that the 1st friend believed that due to how good the old site was, in their and my opinions, that the people that run it wouldn't be able to improve it by more then +15% in the time that they had and the other believed that they'd beat that improvement percent but likely only by a tiny margin

Back