OOB release date.

DM, would you greatly object to either pm-ing me the stats for the SM79 or giving me an idiot's guide of how to build aircraft?

I've got some models too good not to use...

secondly:
the new points system. By my (skim) reading it stops you from taking units more than three PLs lower than the scenario setting. That means in a PL War game, you can't take destroyers.

I assume I've read it wrongly, can someone fill me in on where?

anyone have an answer for me? i'm too busy to read right now...

Wishbone said:
..............secondly:
the new points system. By my (skim) reading it stops you from taking units more than three PLs lower than the scenario setting. That means in a PL War game, you can't take destroyers.

If you wait until more people have OOB in front of them to read, Im sure someone will answer you

SM79 stats as follows:

Speed 18
Target 3+
Dodge 5+
Save 5+
Dogfight 0

Bombs - 6AD, 3DD, AP

or

Torpedoes - 6AD, 3DD, AP

juggler69uk said:
Wishbone said:
..............secondly:

If you wait until more people have OOB in front of them to read, Im sure someone will answer you

It really isn't a new points system, it's rules for splitting *ONE* FAP beyond the standard FAP tables in VaS. Allows for a little more flexibility in building fleets. The OoB rules state "use a single fleet allocation point to buy ships of different levels rather than of one Priority Level only." This means the Fleet Allocation table on p. 46 of VaS still applies but one FAP only may be further broken down.

sigh

Ordered it from Amazon thinking I would get it on time but no :(

Gonna be next year by the look of it !

sheesh.

One thing to add to what I said above - the SM.79 torpedo AD is based on the aircraft's ability to carry two torpesoes. However, whilst I've seen a few photos of them in this configuration most of the photos and videos I've seen have them carrying only one (probably due to range/payload and/or torpedo availability issues). To simulate these more restrictive loadouts reduce the AD to 3.

already did ;)

It's curious that they never did the two torpedo load out. I'm guessing that they could only release one at a time, and flying over a target with a live torp still attached wasn't a good idea.

I believe you could do exactly the same thing with Beauforts and Mossies. I've got a feeling at least one German bomber could mount 2 torpedoes side by side, but I can't recall which, or how practical it would be.

And yeah, flying one torpedo run and then another strikes me as something that wouldn't appeal to an aircrew. Particularly having to overfly and line up again carrying the 2nd torp.

Why not carry two torpedoes? Providing the range to target allows it to carry two. If you were to drop one then slightly deviate your angle of attack, to allow for the ship turning, then drop the second. This should increase you chances of a successful hit.

From what I have read when planes attacked in a group, either bombs or torpedoes, the first planes generally missed as the ship made an evasive move. Once the ship initiated a turn it could not easily turn back thus allowing the following planes a better chance of a hit.

Rod

IIRC Beaufoorts and Beufighters were designed for single torpedo carriage only. Wellingtons could carry two, as could He-111s.

Lucy said:
Why not carry two torpedoes? Providing the range to target allows it to carry two. If you were to drop one then slightly deviate your angle of attack, to allow for the ship turning, then drop the second. This should increase you chances of a successful hit.

From what I have read when planes attacked in a group, either bombs or torpedoes, the first planes generally missed as the ship made an evasive move. Once the ship initiated a turn it could not easily turn back thus allowing the following planes a better chance of a hit.

Rod

In theory you're probably right, however any manouvering before dropping torp #2 would probably mean dropping the first one an awfull long way away, so as to allow time to settle down onto the new course.

I can't see there being time to drop both torpedos in one run. of course, who knows for sure. someone buy me a SM79 and two torpedos and i'll have a go ;)

After reading Shattered Sword my impression on ship handling is that good captains/ship handlers reacted very fast to attacking planes. I have not read any books that give that sort of description of ship handling by European nations.

In the same book they also give a good description of bad ship handling by the Mogami's captain, ramming her sister ship.

Rod

Lucy said:
After reading Shattered Sword my impression on ship handling is that good captains/ship handlers reacted very fast to attacking planes. I have not read any books that give that sort of description of ship handling by European nations.

In the same book they also give a good description of bad ship handling by the Mogami's captain, ramming her sister ship.

Rod

I also just finished reading Shattered Sword. It was a great book and very informative. :D

I recently saw a new painting on the internet of the Akagi at Midway, with a full strike of planes exploding on deck. I didn't have the heart to tell the artist that most likely those aircraft were exploding in the hangers below. :roll:

I have not read any books that give that sort of description of ship handling by European nations.

Read up on RN operations off Crete for some excellent examples of just this kind of thing.

From what I've read, the SM.79's flight performance with two torpedoes was a lot worse than with just one, hence why they usually carried a single torpedo. I got to have a look at the Squadron/Signal book on the SM.79 at a local model shop :)

Back