OGL Steampunk is now available!

I recieved my playtest copy in the mail today, so the main books themselves are most likely not far behind.

kiln publications said:
Hey Neo are you allowed to say if the stats are close to Horror?

Probably the book is pretty much released so I don't think i'd be letting the cat out of the bag by answering.

on a mechanical level yes it is pretty close, few different terms for things like occupations being vocations etc. Also steampunk has some classes of its own to fit the genre. Unlike horro though there are no magic spells only psychic powers on the occult side of things, though you could add the magic from horror with relative ease if you wanted.

Some new additions like Background points which are pretty cool and the new races are nice I like the C.O.G.S myself :)

Cool thanks, I would have thought magic would have been the wording instead of psych but then again that's what I like about Mongoose, creating their owns rules and wording....

Neo,

Couple of questions about the book;
1, Any material about a setting? I've always felt that Steampunk should be a largely European/British centric, and was wondering if the book leans in that direction.

2, How is the material related to creating new machinery?

Well, if gunpowder is in there, it could have some mid eastern/eastern flavor (since gunpowder was originally invented in the east).
It is dissapointing to hear about the lack of magic; I would have though that there would be dark sorcery in the vein of conan, dark cultists hiding in the streets and all. Oh well.

Mythos said:
Neo,

Couple of questions about the book;
1, Any material about a setting? I've always felt that Steampunk should be a largely European/British centric, and was wondering if the book leans in that direction.

Not specifically no, but then the OPGL books aren't so much about specific settings as specific genres.. there is some information in the book via the races and under technology etc.. that could provide the basis for a setting that you as a GM could flesh out though imo.

2, How is the material related to creating new machinery?

The Power of Steam section provides the rules for creating machines and its fairly comprehensive, weighing in at 35 pages of the books 304 pages.

In order to work things you work through the design process, following each step.

1. Select Type: First of all, the creator selects the kind of machine they want to build. He can make either a structure, automaton, vehicle, personal weapon, vehicle & artillery weapon, or a piece of equipment.

2. Select Size, Base Attributes and Options: From the relevant tables you select the size of what you want to build, which in turn defines its base attributes and initial Construction point cost (CP), you can then assigne base options which either add to or reduce that CP cost.

3. Select Material: Once you have the type and size of your machine you choose the kind of material that makes the basic frame this again modifies the base attributes for the item and can vary with the quality of what your making.

4. Install Features and Deficiencies: At this point you install the actual functions into your machine, which again alters the base machine stats. Features add to its abilities, deficiencies subtract from them. All options have requirements and additional costs involved too.

5. Install Power Source: Based on the technology and power required of all your installed options you choose a power source to make your machine run.

6. Calculate Derived Values: Basically the calculation stage you work out your machines stats by taking the base ones and altering them up or down for all the parts you choose throughout steps 1-5.

7. Calculate CP: You total the CP from the base attributes ans installed options.

8. Calculate Cost and Weight: Based on the CP and Hard Slot (HS) values you find the actual purchase Difficulty Class (DC) and wieght of the machine your trying to build.

9. Research, Design and Construction Checks: Here you make all the relevant and required knowledge and Craft checks to design and produce the machine.

Anonymous said:
Well, if gunpowder is in there, it could have some mid eastern/eastern flavor (since gunpowder was originally invented in the east).
It is dissapointing to hear about the lack of magic; I would have though that there would be dark sorcery in the vein of conan, dark cultists hiding in the streets and all. Oh well.

No no don't misunderstand.. magic IS present. its just not as I said above provided as magic spells. All magic in OGL Steampunk is ritualistic and a little bit more involved...but it is nevertheless there.

And yup theres definitely gunpowder present :)

Oh I see. Well, as long as it is dark, with some magic castable in combat, and hopefully an occult player class, I will be happy. I don't supose you could give an example of a how it works in action?

kiln publications said:
Cool thanks, I would have thought magic would have been the wording instead of psych but then again that's what I like about Mongoose, creating their owns rules and wording....

My apologies for not being clearer..

Magic Is present but like I said ti isn't in stereotypical spell format. all magic in OGL steampunk is ritual based so would blend fairly well with the typical occult nature of a horror or cthullhu'esque game.

Neo said:
[Magic Is present but like I said ti isn't in stereotypical spell format. all magic in OGL steampunk is ritual based so would blend fairly well with the typical occult nature of a horror or cthullhu'esque game.

Are these the same rules for ritual magic from OGL Horror?

And thanks for the sneak peak, Neo!

jaerdaph said:
Neo said:
[Magic Is present but like I said ti isn't in stereotypical spell format. all magic in OGL steampunk is ritual based so would blend fairly well with the typical occult nature of a horror or cthullhu'esque game.

Are these the same rules for ritual magic from OGL Horror?

And thanks for the sneak peak, Neo!

rituals work in Steampunk in a different way and with a lot more versatility construction wise than in Horror imo.

there is no specific drain for each ritual in steampunk, instead if you fail to perform the ritual you can face backlash, which can be anything from causing the ritual to take longer to complete through to causing temporary damage to statistics and even hampering your ability to perofrm other rituals for a limited time...there is also a slight risk of backfiring magic :)

rituals have Ritual Check DC's to perform and Comonent Dc's (wealth related check to purchase necessary components).

The system is provided to build ritual type magic effects of almost any kinds so its very handy all round.

Exactly what kindof effects can be accomplished by the ritual magic? I take it it cannot be cast during combat? That it takes a few hours to cast, and results in things likke stat drain of tagets?

Back