Offlining S&P

Deleriad

Mongoose
So, as it says in the new S&P, S&P is going away for a while. Does this mean S&P 93 is the last one until next year or will there be more before it retires to its secret lair?

Hmm...just read this announcement myself. I'm somewhat disappointed, I must say. I shall miss tuning in on the first of each month.

Sad to hear that Signs and Portents is on hiatus – not least because I had a folder full of submission pitches for it ready to rock and roll. I know Mongoose have promised some support via the website (which is great news), so I was wondering if it’s worth getting in touch about things I was planning to contact S&P about?

Deleriad said:
So, as it says in the new S&P, S&P is going away for a while. Does this mean S&P 93 is the last one until next year or will there be more before it retires to its secret lair?

93 will be the last for a while. Barring something really unexpected happening.

The Dan said:
Sad to hear that Signs and Portents is on hiatus – not least because I had a folder full of submission pitches for it ready to rock and roll. I know Mongoose have promised some support via the website (which is great news), so I was wondering if it’s worth getting in touch about things I was planning to contact S&P about?

Undoubtedly Matt and I will be discussing game support while S&P is paused. I would contact me so I am aware of you and let me know what you have in mind. Then I can see if this is something we might be looking for.

AlphaStrike said:
Hmm...just read this announcement myself. I'm somewhat disappointed, I must say. I shall miss tuning in on the first of each month.

I'm kind of gutted myself. I must admit to really enjoying working on S&P, despite the enormous amount of effort it required every month.

Mongoose Nick said:
AlphaStrike said:

I'm kind of gutted myself. I must admit to really enjoying working on S&P, despite the enormous amount of effort it required every month.

Any chance of you keeping it going, but charging a few bucks / pounds / euros / magic beans for it?

Totally understand if you need to focus attention on paying gigs but I will miss it!

Alternatively, is there plans to get written scenarios that we can buy?

Mongoose Nick said:
Undoubtedly Matt and I will be discussing game support while S&P is paused. I would contact me so I am aware of you and let me know what you have in mind. Then I can see if this is something we might be looking for.

Will do. I'm sure that like the Eternal Champion, the next incarnation of S&P will be just as awesome as the orginal. Roll on 2012 8)

Are there other outlets for freelancers like us to submit stuff? Some of us were getting used to the idea of submitting our good stuff to S&P.

Any chance of us submitting bigger stuff that could not be contained within the pages of S&P, like the proposed settings for RQ and Traveller we'd hoped we could get off the ground for the summer?

alex_greene said:
Are there other outlets for freelancers like us to submit stuff? Some of us were getting used to the idea of submitting our good stuff to S&P.

Any chance of us submitting bigger stuff that could not be contained within the pages of S&P, like the proposed settings for RQ and Traveller we'd hoped we could get off the ground for the summer?

There's Freelance Traveller of course:
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Also Phoenix Lore Magazine:
http://www.phoenixlore.com/

taxboy said:
Any chance of you keeping it going, but charging a few bucks / pounds / euros / magic beans for it?

We _did_ consider this, something like a $1 or £1 recurring subscription via PayPal every month. However, S&P kind of needs a reboot anyway due to a shift in focus with our products (basically, more miniatures and boardgames).

At the moment, I am thinking S&P needs to be smaller and split into specific game lines. So, we have a Traveller issue that may only be 16-20 pages or so, but it is _all_ Traveller. Might be called something else too.

We'll have to see what happens.

msprange said:
taxboy said:

We _did_ consider this, something like a $1 or £1 recurring subscription via PayPal every month. However, S&P kind of needs a reboot anyway due to a shift in focus with our products (basically, more miniatures and boardgames).

At the moment, I am thinking S&P needs to be smaller and split into specific game lines. So, we have a Traveller issue that may only be 16-20 pages or so, but it is _all_ Traveller. Might be called something else too.

We'll have to see what happens.

Well, there used to be two versions and they where merged...

Or maybe back to RPG one and then a miniature ones and others (ie: board/wargames)?

Hope it works out ok.

Personally I like that S&P covers the entire range and usually skim the miniatures stuff because it's there in front of me. If there were specific lines or a split between rpg and non-rpg stuff then I would only bother downloading the lines I play. From this one data point it feels that there's a chance that S&P as is might sell me on games you produce that I happen to read about whereas breaking it down into smaller units means that a portion of your range becomes less visible to me.

Bummer! I am currently working on writing Traveller material for submission to S&P.

Matt/Nick, are you still accepting submissions?

I think Deleriad makes a very good point, by spliting S&P into genre specific issues (smaller) then you may miss some of your market, If the problem is the time it takes to produce what it a very good product, why not consider a bi-monthly edition or a small subscription. I think most folks if was a $1 or £1 per issue or around that cost would have no problem with that..

Back in the good old days when S&P was a physical magaxine, I used to read it all, cover to cover. These days, I just flick through it. I often don't go back and fully read the articles that are about games that I play.

I used to subscribe to the magazine. Would probably be happy to do so again.

So does that mean we will have to wait till 2012 to see the next half of that deus vult hoffman quest? Cos our GM is running through the first bit and I would be sorely dissapointed if we had to stop due to the second half of it not coming through.

Back