Nobody's dead

DrSkull

Mongoose
We've played 6 7-hour sessions of Conan so far. Because of Fate Points not a single PC (out of 10) has died, permanent-like. Just about everyone has spent a Fate point to be left for dead at least once. And most people have spent one for Max Damage once or twice to good effect.

I don't know how to feel about the PC's not running any real risk of death.

How are things going in other campaigns, in the realm of dead characters?

In the game I run my players also burnt through thier fate points fairly quickly. Now that the points are mostly gone its getting more intersting to say the least.
Remember you don't have to give more fate points out every adventure/session. I like keeping my players at 1 or 2 points MAX and often leave them at 0 points just to keep them on thier toes.

Thrack

My campaign has had a couple of deaths - but we burn through fate points like mad-men, and I give out very few of them at the end of an adventure (never more than one, sometimes not even that)

Ran a session this morning with 2 players. Both were 1st level. Jumped them with a few Vendhali Pirates roaming the docks of a Turanian town. They play smart (my group is good - always smart but always in character). They seperate the group & take them down one or two at a time. They get cornererd in a maze with one pirate on one end & two on the other & finally get hacked down in the same round. I just killed the whole party (admittedly just two though). But wait! They have Fate Points! They each spend one. They come through in the pirates' hold. It's completely dark. They're weaponless. They're injured, bleeding, & sore all over. They've been thrown in the bottom of the ship & it's filled with rotting caracases & they're down nearly full HP - left for dead under a sealed trap-door & no tools except rotting bones. What do they do? They take over the ship & even trap the Demon behind the pirate-cult (modified Rakshasha from the SRD - in D&D it's a CR 10 creature meaning the average party strength should be around 40 levels & should still cost the party an average of a third to a fourth of their potential resources).

In short, Fate Points are just an excuse to extend the story. One day, one or all of them will run out. New character. But that's part of the story too.

You don't think that there is a problem because none of the player characters has died, do you? It is the PC's story, after all.

I've had the same experianence as most people here. At first they used allot of fate points to be left for dead. Now the points have become quite rare. They started at level 1 and have made it up to level 5 (on average) and They've only got back a couple each, so they tend to run in fear now against the big bad guys.

SS

wyerdo said:
You don't think that there is a problem because none of the player characters has died, do you? It is the PC's story, after all.

I guess not really. Everyone still tries very hard to avoid being "left for dead".

Hey prof dogg, just wondering; after spending a point to be left for dead, the pc's are still below 0 hp. Since they were both left for dead, who revived them? (or did you allow them to make automatic stabilise checks?)

DrSkull said:
wyerdo said:

I guess not really. Everyone still tries very hard to avoid being "left for dead".

Exactly. And I don't recall Conan dying too often in the stories...

Xex said:
Hey prof dogg, just wondering; after spending a point to be left for dead, the pc's are still below 0 hp. Since they were both left for dead, who revived them? (or did you allow them to make automatic stabilise checks?)

They made the save to stabilize (officially D&D & Conan both use the 10% rule - my house rule is Fort vs DC 15). Then they got stripped & thrown into the hold for demonic consumption later. They were down there long enough to heal (several hours). I fudged (just a bit though) but it was worth it. Like I said, when they came through & got out, the Barbarian was using a femur as a club & the Pirate was slitting throats with a sharpened bone fragment as a knife. They finally got their hands on the Vendhyans' weapons when they killed a few. They sacrificed a lot by "dieing" but they certainly made lemonade out of the proverbial lemons. Now they're in control of a ship off the sea coast with a trapped Raksasha below deck. They're kind of worried...

Back