No sunhawk varients in tournament pack

Currently almost everyone uses the tournament pack. Mt new drazi fleet does not have a lot of different ship types and is not allowed to use other league ships (I don't have any anyway) as such it is fairly restricted by not allowing them solarhawks or other sunhawk variants. Solar hawks look quite good BTW? how do drazi players find them.

Well captain, its been stated before that the tourney fleet lists will go "bye bye" once armageddon is released. so, any fleet stragety you get now will likely change ina month or so...! :lol:

I reckon thats why the board's been quiter than usualy the last weeks or so...

Chern

Chernobyl said:
Well captain, its been stated before that the tourney fleet lists will go "bye bye" once armageddon is released. so, any fleet stragety you get now will likely change ina month or so...! :lol:

I reckon thats why the board's been quiter than usualy the last weeks or so...

Chern

Armageddon, whats that then? :twisted:

Captain Kremmen said:
Currently almost everyone uses the tournament pack. Mt new drazi fleet does not have a lot of different ship types and is not allowed to use other league ships (I don't have any anyway) as such it is fairly restricted by not allowing them solarhawks or other sunhawk variants. Solar hawks look quite good BTW? how do drazi players find them.

Tournament pack? where I could find those?

You can find the tournament pack on the main mongoose publishing site under downloads. look at all ACTA downloads. It is much better balanced in most areas than SFOS.

I keep hearing that the tournament pack will be abandoned, but surely there are considerable inconsistencies in SFOS, you know the minbari, white stars etc will go back to being brilliant??

K

The tourney pack is here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/ctatournamentpack.pdf

And Captain, hopeflully at least some of the inconsistencies you speak of will be dealt with by the Armageddon changes, I know WS get tweaked.

LBH

lastbesthope said:

And Captain, hopeflully at least some of the inconsistencies you speak of will be dealt with by the Armageddon changes, I know WS get tweaked.

LBH

So the good news is my poor Drazi should get back their variants.

A couple of my Centauri have lost a little in the tournament pack, centurion etc. Do these all go back up to their original values?

Does the sagittarrius go back to raid where it belongs!!!!!!

Kremmen

Captain Kremmen said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH

So the good news is my poor Drazi should get back their variants.

A couple of my Centauri have lost a little in the tournament pack, centurion etc. Do these all go back up to their original values?

Does the sagittarrius go back to raid where it belongs!!!!!!

Kremmen

From what I have seen, yes.

Reaverman,

You have been cleaning up with your 10 skirmish ship Narn fleets. If you go back to SFOS the Centauri are going to be tougher for you to beat aren't they?

I thought the centauri were better than Narn, just played a couple of battles as Centauri against Narn and lost them both, one really badly.

So we swapped sides and rethought the same battle. Despite a staggering amount of damage the centauri caused on the first turns firing with their beam, I beat them (just) with the Narn, even though I had a rongoth and a t'loth and a g'quan. He made the mistake of ignoring my 2 ka'tocs which actually inflicted almost all of the damage in the game.

Kremmen

A lot can depend on fleet choice and PL. If Narn can get a good value for their skirmish choices they will do very well. They tend to be weaker in the raid and battle levels. Centauri are strong in their raid ships, weaker in skirmish and patrol. If your playing the tournament list then even that is not quite true. Centauri have to go to Battle to get their best hull.

So if your playing raid level games this means that Narn are tough as they get a great porportional buy of their skirmish ships. Centauri are okay, as they are getting a decent buy with their Primus and Sulust/Altarian/Centurian stack. Should come down to dice, target choices and manuever.

Go out of the tournament pack and the Sulust/Prefect/Tertius stack should have the advantage against the Narns assuming equal skill on both sides. That is a big assumption, and dice or position can be a big deal. Also depends on whether you are playing ot the game limit (often ten turns) or whether you are stopped early and adding up points. Narn can often get points in later turns where their endurance begins to show, and the Centauri's weak back arcs begin to come into play.

Ripple

Narn can be a nightmare, and just because the Tourney go back to their SFOS listings, does not really bother me. Since I get to use the likes of the Ka'Tans, which have two 2AD Beam weapons. Whilst the loss of the Mag guns seems like sheer bad tactics, it also means I actually get a better initial attack roll. Sometimes that Mag gun, really blows on the the opening attack rolls. The Average damage (against a hull 5 ship) from the Mag Gun is 4.33, compared to 4.03. But if I get redirecting fire on the target, the odds change significantly. The Mag goes up to 4.89, but the beam weapon leaps up to 5.63. So IMHO, its better to have a couple Sho'Kars in the fleet, and have them supporting Ka'Tans, rather than Ka'Tocs.

Reaverman said:
Narn can be a nightmare, and just because the Tourney go back to their SFOS listings, does not really bother me. Since I get to use the likes of the Ka'Tans, which have two 2AD Beam weapons. Whilst the loss of the Mag guns seems like sheer bad tactics, it also means I actually get a better initial attack roll. Sometimes that Mag gun, really blows on the the opening attack rolls. The Average damage (against a hull 5 ship) from the Mag Gun is 4.33, compared to 4.03. But if I get redirecting fire on the target, the odds change significantly. The Mag goes up to 4.89, but the beam weapon leaps up to 5.63. So IMHO, its better to have a couple Sho'Kars in the fleet, and have them supporting Ka'Tans, rather than Ka'Tocs.

You know I'm beginning to regret giving you a copy of that "rough" ACTA simulator... ;)

What about the SFoS Targrath? That thing's an absolute nightmare. Anything done about it? The tourney pack way downtuned that thing -- for a reason!

The same goes for the (in my opinion) awful beam-whoring Sulust and over-opimized Prefect, which puts the Rongoth to total shame.

Hash said:
Reaverman said:

You know I'm beginning to regret giving you a copy of that "rough" ACTA simulator... ;)

LOL....I can imagine in some other universe. Some god like being is stood on a mountain, with a soot covered human, looking at a burning city below.

God Like Being: "You know I'm beginning to regret giving you the secret to fire!" :twisted:

CZuschlag said:
What about the SFoS Targrath? That thing's an absolute nightmare. Anything done about it? The tourney pack way downtuned that thing -- for a reason!

The same goes for the (in my opinion) awful beam-whoring Sulust and over-opimized Prefect, which puts the Rongoth to total shame.

What is it with you people and the Sulust? So it's got a 4AD beam? The Ka'Tan has 4AD worth of beams and it's a skirmish ship! Do you moan about that?

Lord David the Denied said:
CZuschlag said:

What is it with you people and the Sulust? So it's got a 4AD beam? The Ka'Tan has 4AD worth of beams and it's a skirmish ship! Do you moan about that?

If your Corvan redirects fire for your Sulust, you have 4AD with a reroll. That means on average, get 6.39 hits (againsts Hull 5). Scoring 10.81 points of damage, and at least 1.06 dice will come up a crit. Where as my Ka'Tan only gets 2AD with a reroll, meaning just 3.28 hits. With 5.63 points of damage, and 0.55 dice being a crit. So I do think the odds are in well in your sullust favour. Oh and it has nearly twice as many hits, and a longer range weapon.

If you can't play Centuari, maybe you should get another fleet, and stop whining!

Edit-I got the stats slightly wrong, and have just changed them-sorry

Reaverman said:
If your Corvan redirects fire for your Sulust, you have 4AD with a reroll. That means on average, get 6.39 hits (againsts Hull 5). Scoring 10.81 points of damage, and at least 1.06 dice will come up a crit. Where as my Ka'Tan only gets 2AD with a reroll, meaning just 3.28 hits. With 5.63 points of damage, and 0.55 dice being a crit. So I do think the odds are in well in your sullust favour. Oh and it has nearly twice as many hits, and a longer range weapon.

If you can't play Centuari, maybe you should get another fleet, and stop whining!

What the fuck? Who said I can't play Centauri? I'm just sick of the whining about one particular Centarui ship...

While we're here, your Ka'Tan has 4AD of beams. One beam only has 15" range which is a bit of a handicap, but it's still got the same level of firepower once it's in range, and you can have two of them for every Sulust I could field.

Who needs the Corvan? The Sullust is F arc. This gives you access to CAF!, which is a striking upgrade. All of its beams are in one stat line, so, if I'm crippled/skeletoned I still get to fire them all, has interceptors (should I care about your close-range firepower? Nope! You'd better care about mine, though), a better initiative number by 1 (I've got a better than 50/50 chance to initiative sink you out of firing one Ka'Tan at all!!) and I outrange you by 5 and 10!

You know what? I think I'm fine. And heaven help a Ka'Tan gets parked -- It only realistically takes 2 marines to board and kill it. Ships with Troops 1 just beg for it.

Lord David the Denied said:
Reaverman said:

What the ****? Who said I can't play Centauri? I'm just sick of the whining about one particular Centarui ship...

While we're here, your Ka'Tan has 4AD of beams. One beam only has 15" range which is a bit of a handicap, but it's still got the same level of firepower once it's in range, and you can have two of them for every Sulust I could field.

Sorry, but I just explained the facts and figures for you. They are in the post above. Like the bit about having nearly twice the Ka'Tocs hits. BTW, for me to get my two weapons in range, you would have had 8AD Beams attacks, to bear on me. That would have on average, done 21 hits. Which destroys a Ka'Tan. Like CZ said, you can also CAF!

Oh, its not whining about 1 ship, its about 4 Ships. Its THe Dargan, the Ka'Toc, the Ka'Tan and the Sullust!

I'd also still really like ot hear about the Targrath. I run Dilgar, heard lots of whining about it, did some math ... and found out it wasn't whining, it was reality.

You can easily mistake valid analysis for whining when it's your ship they're complaining about. Just a thought -- if you win all the time, it may have absolutely nothing to do with your skill level; your ship may be busted. Especially in ACtA.

Remember how hard it was to convice those ISA players that their White Star was busted when it was obvious? The same probably happen with some of your ships, too. And that means everyone (EA: Tourney Sag; Minbari: Many SFoS Raid level and above; Centauri: SFoS Sullust, Prefect, Tertius, all Corvans; Narn: ... maybe the Ka'Tan, I'll think on it, esp. with Armageddon breakdown structures; ISA: SFoS WhiteStars; League: Vree Scouts, esp. the Vaarl; Shadows: Tourney Hunter; Vorlons: not too much, really, although the Tourney Cruiser is a beast to kill, I wonder about its ability to jump out in a scenario; Dilgar: SFoS Targrath; Drakh: Light Raiders have Whitestar-itis: layered good defenses and 2 90's)

Back