Ninja

René

Banded Mongoose
During my researches for a Khitan-syle one-shot adventure I found this wikipedia-entry. Maybe some of you could use it...

Could there be a connection to the Witchmen of Hyperborea?

No ninja, please! An assassin sect is ok, but no Dudikoff-lookalikes. That is for minchkins, not for a serious Hyborian campaign.

VincentDarlage said:
You need to be more specific about the entry - maybe even provide a link...

Oops... Seems I was in a hurry!

Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

Teutonic said:
No ninja, please! An assassin sect is ok, but no Dudikoff-lookalikes. That is for minchkins, not for a serious Hyborian campaign.

Well, that was my first reaction, too. But after thinking a while about it...

I wouldn't make them guys who act en masse or even let the players get into hand to hand combat with one of them. Rumours in a besieged fortress or the gory result of their work (the Khitan warlord murdered within his tent surrounded by his elite guard who saw nothing) or just a quick view of one of them (who vanishes after throwing a smoke bomb a la Hyboria's Fallen)... something like this.

Since these guys were real and not only a creation of Asian and Western fantasy, they can have their place in a non-munchkins campaign.

I have already think about it and i think that this kind of ninja should be a sorcerer, or bi-classed with soldier. In japanese legend the ninjas were considered as demons or magicals beings, and a clan of ninja is like a sect, a brotherhood of sorcerers...........

vince the french said:
I have already think about it and i think that this kind of ninja should be a sorcerer, or bi-classed with soldier. In japanese legend the ninjas were considered as demons or magicals beings, and a clan of ninja is like a sect, a brotherhood of sorcerers...........

Maybe a straight Thief for the first 5 levels then alternating with Scholar (Oriental Magic)?

The alchemical devices mentioned in the wikipedia-entry make for the rest of the "magic".

Back