Newcomer needs help! RGII, Elric and Hawkmoon!

Alpharius

Mongoose
Hello!

I've been away from the RPG scene for a long, long time!

How long?

Well...

I was last active when 1st Edition AD&D was the main game in town!

So... Twenty or (gulp!) Thirty Years?

Anyway, I'm a BIG fan of Moorcock's universes, and was excited to see games based upon Elric and Hawkmoon - my two favorites!

BUT, I think I'm a bit behind the current schedule?

The 'old' versions are about to be replaced by newer ones?

Will they require RQII, or will they be standalone?

And are all the old supplements now no longer 'valid' and/or usable?

Anyway, thanks for any and all help - it is greatly appreciated!

You will no doubt get a comprehensive answer from the actual lead developer for the eternal champion line, but until then my understanding is:

1) The RQII rules will form the base of new editions of Hawkmoon and Elric (maybe Corum?), and will probably be stand-alone rules. I have no idea when the new versions may see print.

2) The similarity between all D100 / BRP / RQ systems makes backward comparibility straight-forward - some re-statting may be necessary, but you could probably not even bother (the PC's are doomed after all!).

My view - pick up old Chasoium products if available (drive-thru?) for background, and get RQII now. You could cobble together an acceptable eternal champion game until the 'official' version appears.

Antalon

Thanks for the reply!

I was able to pick up almost all of the 'last edition' Mongoose Hawkmoon stuff, I think it is all 'self-contained', i.e., no need to own Runequest to play?

I'm wondering if the same will hold true going forward?

And, is there a publishing timeline/schedule somewhere that details (as much as possible) what's coming out when?

Thanks!

Alpharius said:
Thanks for the reply!

I was able to pick up almost all of the 'last edition' Mongoose Hawkmoon stuff, I think it is all 'self-contained', i.e., no need to own Runequest to play?

I'm wondering if the same will hold true going forward?

And, is there a publishing timeline/schedule somewhere that details (as much as possible) what's coming out when?

Thanks!

My understanding is that when the new Moorcock games come out they will be using RQII as their base and only contain setting info and setting specific rules. So you would need the RQII core book for the new Moorcock games coming out later this year.

Antalon said:
1) The RQII rules will form the base of new editions of Hawkmoon and Elric (maybe Corum?), and will probably be stand-alone rules. I have no idea when the new versions may see print.

The new Elric and Corum books should be released this year, and we should see Hawkwind and a Multiverse book mooted to follow. They will not be standalone - they will be fully compatible as setting supplements for RQ2.

Hi,

I must say I played Hawkmoon as it stood, it had a lot of minor revisions on the MRQ1 system, which made it exceptionally playable and intuitive. I really liked it, I ran the whole of the Secrets of Tragic Europe campaign as it stoof without need to wander off course and my gamers absolutely adored it. So I would recommend running that campaign whole heartedly.

Simon

All setting books, like Elric, Corum and Hawkmoon, will require the RQII rules; they won't be self-contained volumes as previously.

As with the overall philosophy, as much 'backward compatibility' as possible is going to be maintained; so if you've just invested in the earlier Elric and Hawkmoon tomes, they'll remain usable.

You can look forward to, for Elric, a revised Cults of the YK, plus Cities of the Young Kingdoms; and, next year, a campaign. Corum and Hawkmoon will follow next year.

Incidentally, will there be a scenario in the Elric book? I'm hoping for something very tragic in tone - where all the characters end up being screwed over by Fate. Ditto for the Campaign too. They're my favourites.....

TrippyHippy said:
Incidentally, will there be a scenario in the Elric book? I'm hoping for something very tragic in tone - where all the characters end up being screwed over by Fate. Ditto for the Campaign too. They're my favourites.....

Maybe... :wink:

It seems as if maybe 2009's (maybe 2010's?) "State of the Mongoose" may have addressed a lot of my Moorcock/Multiverse questions too...

...only I can't find it anywhere!

Can someone link me to it?

Thanks!

I'd say check a few issues back in Signs and Portents. I can't recall for which issue but I'm sure I saw the state of mongoose in there.

lordmalachdrim said:
I'd say check a few issues back in Signs and Portents. I can't recall for which issue but I'm sure I saw the state of mongoose in there.

I've already D/L'ed a bunch, so I'll go through them to see if I can track it down.

Of course, if some kind soul knows which one it is... :D

I'm dying to know the plans for the new Moorcock stuff!

TrippyHippy said:
Antalon said:

The new Elric and Corum books should be released this year, and we should see Hawkwind and a Multiverse book mooted to follow. They will not be standalone - they will be fully compatible as setting supplements for RQ2.

How great would a Hawkwind RPG be :shock:

The Crimson Bat said:
TrippyHippy said:
Antalon said:

How great would a Hawkwind RPG be :shock:

Heh heh! Rock on!

(Pretty sure he meant HawkMOON, but still...)

TrippyHippy said:
No. Just had all the Hawkwind albums being played a lot over the last month or so. Kinda had them in my mind.

Hawkwind are great and I'm loving your Zappa quote as well - only in it for the money is a great album :D

I just want to get info on HAWKMOON, ELRIC and CORUM, if possible.

I still can't find the latest STATE OF THE MONGOOSE either!

Back