New Version of Block War

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Now up for download at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/jdblockwar.pdf

Feel free to let us know what you think!

Cool will check it out - hoping to get a game in Friday :)

Suggestion - can we have a couple of charts at the end of the book collating all the weapons and their costs?

Greg Smith said:
I concur, a reference chart with all the weapons from both books would be good.

We will indeed be doing this, but we'll go through a few more updates on Block War first :)

Shouldn't the Sky Surfer Hover Board now be classified as a vehicle.?

I put together a quick write up the what I think the Sky Surfer Board should look like.

Sky Surfer Board = Cost 80
Move: 20"
Agility: +1
Ramming: 2D
Armour: 1
Hits: 1

Type: Small, Bike
Crew: 1 Surfer, 1 Passanger (if carrying a passanger then drop Agility to +0)
Equipment: None

Modification Notes: Only the follow modifications can be added to a Sky Surfer Board; Heavy Armour*, Structural Reinforcement*, Turbo Boost*. Turbo boost is the most common modification to be added, due to all the rush the surfers get at going faster than a Lawmaster (but they can't outrun a radio)..

* Heavy Armour: only adds +1 to armour.
* Structual Reinforcement: only adds +1 Hit
* Turbo Boost: increase speed by +25%, no turning while doing a turbo move

Comments are welcome and encouraged...!

msprange said:
A new Street Judge model has just gone on sale (Street Judge 4). This highly experienced judge wields two Lawgivers, giving him twice the offensive firepower in a battle! Rules for using two Lawgivers will be included in the next revision of the Block War supplement, but you can grab this judge and be ready to unleash the full force of the Law against perps by going to;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/the-justice-department.html?dir=desc&order=position
<emphasis mine>

That "next revision of Block War" would have been the one released 11/14, yet no new rules were found regarding the above statement. I'm really interested in seeing how viable this new alternative is for my current Dredd Justice Department gang. Do we have an idea where those rules sit in regard to being released?

-Ken

In the Equipment section, Lightweight Armour is listed as giving a +3 bonus. But the updated entries for both the Med Judge and Tek Judge show them with a +4 armour bonus. Which is correct?

Also, quick question on flamethrowers:

After being struck by a flamethrower, regardless of whether any damage was caused, the target must make an Agility check at the start of every turn. If it fails, the flames continue to ravage it, and it will automatically lose a Hit. A successful Agility check will result in the flames dying out.

A model on fire must make a successful Will check at the start of the turn in order to take actions normally in its Phase. If it fails, it will automatically perform two Special actions just trying to beat out the flames – however, it will also be able to re-roll its Agility check in order to avoid taking more damage that turn.

I've been going over the timing on this and I think I've spotted a problem with the wording of this ability. If the player with the flamethrower is going first in the turn, does the target get any actions in his own phase?

The reason I ask is that the agility test to put the flames out AND the will check to see if a model can take any actions are both made at the start of the TURN. Neither will apply before the target's next phase, as he hasn't had a chance to take either test. Does he get his actions in his phase (because he didn't fail the test) or not (because he didn't pass it either)?

This is another situation where the effect is markedly different based on whether you're going first or second in the turn (see my other comments on Concussive Blast). I think that any situation like this would be simplified if the tests were taken at the start of the relevant player's phase. I think this would also be more intuitive for the players involved.

Just to let you all know, we are taking notes on all of this, and will tweak the next revision to answer everything!

Matt,
I know you guys are super busy but it's now been 3 months since your update. Would you hapen to be able to give a goal date for the next revision to BW?

Thanks

Likely to be either just before Christmas, or just into the New Year - depends on a few other projects!

Winged_Human said:
Matt,
I know you guys are super busy but it's now been 3 months since your update. Would you hapen to be able to give a goal date for the next revision to BW?

Thanks

For clarification, the last Block War update was released on 11/14, so it has, in fact, only been 16 days (17 now).

It was a pretty major update, too.

But, I'm super glad to hear that a new release is coming soon, and going to be addressing all our above requests. Two-Pistol Judge, here I come! :D

-Ken

Judge DeMarco's Lawmaster upgrade is only +100 points, rather than the new cost of +150. Is this intentional, so that DeMarco can be used with the old Lawmaster stats in the core rules or is it an oversight?

Lawmasters should have advanced autopilot

makes them more like the vehicles from the films/comics/novels

having to have a rider on the bike for autopilot to work kind of defeats the object of having auto pilot

Butcher's Boy said:

having to have a rider on the bike for autopilot to work kind of defeats the object of having auto pilot

Refer to Block War pg 37 "Justice Department Modifications"

Winged_Human said:
Butcher's Boy said:

Refer to Block War pg 37 "Justice Department Modifications"

The problem with that is that someone forgot all the asterisks! :(

-Ken

Back