New Traveller setting?

EDG

Mongoose
Planet Mongoose said:
In February next year, we are releasing a new setting for Traveller (which we are saying nothing about until the State of the Mongoose, so don't ask!)

I will ask something.... when is the State of the Mongoose usually uh, stated?

When I read that on the Mongoose forum, I took "new Traveller setting" meaning something completely original. As in not Hammer's Slammers, 2300 AD*, etc.

I will wait and see but would be happy to see something completely new. A new harder science, less space operish universe to play in designed from the ground up for the Traveller rules system. A.i., a Traveller style universe created in the 2000's instead of the 1970's without the constraints of the OTU.

*But I would love to see 2300 AD too! :)

I'd be happy with Firefly or Travellerpunk (or should that be Travellerhuman these days ?) 2300AD would be cool, but I think it's too close to 'standard' Traveller

Lord High Munchkin said:
A game you can play without a calculator in your hand?

I can already play without a calculator. I am highly curious as to what the new setting could be, since it seems to stress the word, New.

~Rex

Klaus Kipling said:
dmccoy1693 said:
My (less than official) guess: My Little Pony the RPG.

I wanna be one of these...

http://io9.com/5343155/my-little-cthulhupony

WOW!

Those are great! The "My Little Vulcan Pony", the "My Little Stormtrooper Pony"

My favorite has to be "My Little Alien Pony" with the creature from the Alien movies!

I may have to download these and use one as an Avatar!

If you want to set up new Traveller universes/game settings three main possiblities come to mind.

A) A more realistic space setting set up in the area near Sol two to five centuries from now. A fairly Hard Sci Fi approch which focuses on human exploration and settlement.

B) A hardish Sci Fi setting placed about ten to twenty centuries forward from now. Think Transhuman Space meets Traveller and gets wild.

C) A setting restricted to the surface of one planet. Picture a starship misjumps, the ship is beyond repair, no one knows where or when they are, and they must colonise the world they crash on to live. Luckily the starship was loaded with supplies for a colonisation attempt. However, the colonists weren't on this ship (they were waiting for their supplies).

This would be a low tech space story. The people would be trying to rebuild the technology they'd lost. Psions would be trying to get accepted as part of society. Some would welcome them, others fear them, others see them as tools to be used.

Descendents of genetically altered humans could make great "Aliens" for this setting.

Astromancer said:
C) A setting restricted to the surface of one planet. Picture a starship misjumps, the ship is beyond repair, no one knows where or when they are, and they must colonise the world they crash on to live. Luckily the starship was loaded with supplies for a colonisation attempt. However, the colonists were on this ship (they were waiting for their supplies).

This would be a low tech space story. The people would be trying to rebuild the technology they'd lost. Psions would be trying to get accepted as part of society. Some would welcome them, others fear them, others see them as tools to be used.

If you are in to this kind of thing, take a look at the Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Astromancer said:
C) A setting restricted to the surface of one planet. Picture a starship misjumps, the ship is beyond repair, no one knows where or when they are, and they must colonise the world they crash on to live. Luckily the starship was loaded with supplies for a colonisation attempt. However, the colonists were on this ship (they were waiting for their supplies).

Wouldn't it need to be quite a large ship, to get the population required to support a sustainable colony? otherwise the average number of toes is not likely to be 10

Rex said:
Lord High Munchkin said:
How about really rip-roaring space opera?
Space Battleship Yamato.
Ooh, look, a new movie!

space-battleship-yamato-movie-2009.jpg

Although I quite like the old TV series, the potato-head animation could do with a bit of updating. Still you should get the dubbed version just for the theme song ...
:lol:

Back