New Traveller Books in Print

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Greetings, fellow Travellers!

Just a quick news update - over the past few weeks we have had a veritable fleet (or at least a decent flotilla) of new books rolling in for Traveller, all fresh back from print and ready for your own campaigns:

Drinaxian Companion
An expansion to both the Trojan Reach and the Pirates of Drinax campaign, and useful for any and all pirate-based adventures in Traveller. The Companion includes new adventures, a complete Faction system, example ships to pirate and encounter, rules for building hidden pirate bases, a new beginning to the Pirates of Drinax campaign, and lots more!

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/drinaxian-companion.html

Shadows of Sindal
The discovery of a long-forgotten key prompts a mission to Paal, an easy task to find and open a vault containing treasures from the Empire of Sindal. King Oleb expects a quick return with a huge payoff, but nothing is ever that simple... Shadows of Sindal is a complete mini-campaign that can be inserted into any existing Trojan Reach game, including the mighty Pirates of Drinax!

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/shadowsofsindal.html.html

Reach Adventure 7: Last Train Out of Rakken-Goll
A brand new adventure set in the Trojan Reach, Last Train perfectly blends advanced technology with that of a backwater world that relies on steam trains to transport goods and people across vast distances. The Travellers will befriend the ruling Imperial noble who has found his world has developed a few problems...

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/reach-adventure-7-the-last-train-out-of-rakken-goll.html

Naval Adventure 3: Fire on the Sindalian Main
The Travellers and their capital ship are deployed deep into the Void when they are assigned to the remote Imperial Navy base at Dpres. There they must take command of a joint-force task group and proceed along the Sindalian Main to Tktk. Their mission is to interdict the planet to protect its native sophont species, the tktks.

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/naval-adventure-3-fire-on-the-sindalian-main.html

Good to hear!

Speaking of new books, I got a notification yesterday that my copy of Drinax Companion is on its way, but I needed to pay 100 SEK (approx 8 £) extra to get it through customs (I believe the English terms are import VAT and declaration fee).

Is this the post-Brexit future, or are there any plans for a shipping solution within the EU (or could you consider flagging all books as gifts to bypass customs? :D )?

Annatar Giftbringer said:
Is this the post-Brexit future, or are there any plans for a shipping solution within the EU (or could you consider flagging all books as gifts to bypass customs? :D )?

Everything is in flux at the moment and, one way or another, we do not expect things to continue. We will soon have the ability to pay the duty at this end but, at the moment, we are currently absorbing the extras costs on shipping due to both Brexit and the virus. There is only so much we can do at once.

We are looking at other avenues, and we are also waiting (ha!) for the UK government to pull its finger out and do something. It is not really conceivable that they can allow things to continue as they currently are (he said...).

MongooseMatt said:
Reach Adventure 7: Last Train Out of Rakken-Goll
A brand new adventure set in the Trojan Reach, Last Train perfectly blends advanced technology with that of a backwater world that relies on steam trains to transport goods and people across vast distances. The Travellers will befriend the ruling Imperial noble who has found his world has developed a few problems...

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/reach-adventure-7-the-last-train-out-of-rakken-goll.html

Naval Adventure 3: Fire on the Sindalian Main
The Travellers and their capital ship are deployed deep into the Void when they are assigned to the remote Imperial Navy base at Dpres. There they must take command of a joint-force task group and proceed along the Sindalian Main to Tktk. Their mission is to interdict the planet to protect its native sophont species, the tktks.

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/naval-adventure-3-fire-on-the-sindalian-main.html
Those two arrived this week by mail here across the Channel. I must say, so far Brexit and Covid-19 have had almost no noticeable influence on the hobby. Between Christmas and New Year there was a hickup, when France shut down traffic towards the Isles, but other than that I have received everything in due time. I'm certainly impressed by that.

The new adventures look very nice and I hope to find a way to incorporate them into my ongoing PoD campaign. Currently my Travellers are churning their way through 'The Borderland Run', so it will take a while, until they will make a hard turn towards the Sindalian Maine or Imperial space. Probably the latter will be something that happens, once we hit "The Demon's Eye".

Good to hear!

Speaking of new books, I got a notification yesterday that my copy of Drinax Companion is on its way, but I needed to pay 100 SEK (approx 8 £) extra to get it through customs (I believe the English terms are import VAT and declaration fee).

Just to add another data point here, I really hope some form of EU-based solution can be worked out at some point as well. (I realise it’s very complicated.)

I’m looking at a minimum admin fee of 200 DKK (£23) per parcel, and then import VAT comes on top of that. So direct orders from the UK are pretty much out of the question at the moment. :-/

MongooseMatt said:
Give your Order #100022116 to the end of next week and then give me a shout if you get no joy

OK, received the books two hours ago :D , *ABSOLUTELY INTACT* :shock: (our Customs officers are not noted for delicate handling of goods :evil: ).
I have a few things to say:

I got a notification yesterday that my copy of Drinax Companion is on its way, but I needed to pay 100 SEK (approx 8 £) extra to get it through customs (I believe the English terms are import VAT and declaration fee).

You are a lucky guy. In Italy, you NEVER get to know beforehand how much you need to pay for import VAT and declaration fee. Simply, someone from the Post Office arrives at your home with your mail and demands payment (9,62 euros this time, in my case).
If nobody is at home, or nobody at home has coins and/or small bills (The mailman has no change available. NEVER.), the goods are redirected to the local Mail Office, where you must pay an additional Storage Cost tax before getting your mail back :roll: ...

Could you consider flagging all books as gifts to bypass customs? :D )?

No. This NEVER works. In Italy (and elsewhere, I'm sure), anything labeled "GIFT" with no monetary value specified gets special scrutiny from the Customs goons. I've seen (and sometimes received :evil:, and sent back... ) "GIFT" parcels apparently used for soccer practice, not Customs inspection.
However, the "GIFT" label does help in avoiding taxes upon the shipping charges (EU regulations impose a tax upon the TOTAL value of the imported goods), something Mongoose has correctly done here :D .

In conclusion, Mongoose Publishing sends *STURDY* and *CORRECTLY LABELED* stuff, which even survived our Customs Service, bravo e grazie! :mrgreen:

(or could you consider flagging all books as gifts to bypass customs? :D )?

Yeah, don't do that. Years (decades) ago, my grandmother sent me a package from Norway that she labeled 'gift'. In Norwegian, that's the word for poison... likely in Swedish as well, though I suppose customs people are more sophisticated these days. I got it eventually. There was candy in it...

Hahaha! Yeah, Gift in swedish is poison or married, depending on context.

I guess you guys have convinced me that it’d be a bad idea.... :)

It is what it is, I guess. At least it’s not Mongoose’s fault and you’re as much victims as we are (unless you guys are secretly the brains behind brexit??) so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see... one positive thing is that I managed to win 100 SEK on a lottery ticket this weekend, so the extra cost of the first book is covered. Now I just gotta win some more :)

MongooseMatt said:
we are also waiting (ha!) for the UK government to pull its finger out and do something.

Good luck with that!

Oh, and Baldo... yeah, getting an invoice does sound very preferable compared to “knock-knock, give us money!” Now if they’d only deliver the book too... (should be getting it by tomorrow I hope...)

Back