New to Traveller, where to start.

ScarketSylph

Mongoose
Hello there everyone.
I am very new to Traveller but a veteran TTrpg player and DM in general for games like Cyberpunk 2020/Red, And the usual DnD.

I am looking to get into traveller as i got introduced to the system via a good few YouTube videos from Seth Skorkowsky

What really caught my eye was the very well done starter set for mongoose 2nd. But it is just impossible to find anywhere to buy.

Is there something similar one can buy to get a similar experience with a campaign and what looked to be a very nice fold out sector map.

For example the core book + something
Or if there is an entirely new set similar to the starter set.

Reisender

Cosmic Mongoose
I think the Traveller Explorer's Edition should be available at least as PDF in the Mongoose Store.

For an adventure or campaign recommendation we would need to know more about what you and your group like to play, as Traveller offers a variety of different "settings" / "playstyles".
You can get the free adventure Death Station by Seth Skorkowsky through DriveThruRPG.

Last edited:

ottarrus

Cosmic Mongoose
First off, Sylph, welcome to the board!
I've had players new to the game start with the Starter set [which I own, but I'm a very experienced Traveller player], and they've told me that they rather prefer getting the Core rulebook. From a referee's standpoint, it really does simplify things when you're trying to show a player a reference in the rules.
I second Reisender's motion.
The Explorer's Edition is a very inexpensive and accessible dip into the water. Take a look at it and Death Station. You'll get an orientation to Traveller for the grand price of two buck [or local equivalent].
After that, if you want to get into the main rules, I suggest getting the Core Rules 2022 and Behind the Claw. With those two, you'll have both the important rules and an excellent sourcebook on a frontier area of the Official Traveller Universe, or OTU.

ScarketSylph

Mongoose
Thanks a lot for the replies. :)

I already bought the explorers edition and it does seems like a boiled down version of the rules and i do expect to get the Core 2022 rulebook next.

@Reisender & @ottarrus. Thanks for the reccomendation on Death station will be sure to check it out.
@Arkathan Speaking of Seth and his Videos. i belive i have binge watched all of his traveller content already as i am mainly a DM / Referee
And started watching the Glass cannon Network play where he is also, quite exciting.

And i have to say i am absolutely in love with the way character creation goes somewhat random but absolutely brilliant.