New Setting - DISPLACED for TAS

Stateless

Mongoose
Hey All, I'm a lurker who has been hovering around waiting to see what would happen in regards to the licensing for producing 3rd party stuff for MGT2. I'm a keen gamer/ref of MGT1 but I've been wanting to codify the homebrew setting and scenarios I've cooked up for my gaming groups. TAS looks like an excellent opportunity for me, as a casual non-publisher, to see what I have written in flashing lights, even if there isn't a financial benefit to speak of. I was hoping that the users of this part of the forum, who seem to be mainly actual writers, might be willing to give some feedback on the broad concept of my setting. I've produced a spiel, and I have a bit of stuff written, but what are your initial thoughts on this:

“UNDER THE ISUPROFOR EMERGENCY POWERS ACT THIS ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN DECLARED UNLAWFUL...
FOOD WILL BE DISTRIBUTED ONLY IF YOU RETURN TO THE CAMP IN AN ORDERLY MANNER...
STAND BACK OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO OPEN FIRE!
...I SAID STAND BACK!”

DISPLACED: Not everyone chooses to be a Traveller

DISPLACED is a new setting and self contained campaign for the Mongoose Traveller Roleplaying Game. Combining the classic sense of epic adventure of traditional Traveller with the gritty horrific reality of modern geopolitics, DISPLACED will not only provide an excellent entree into a new universe of possibilities for the seasoned Traveller referee, but will also perhaps challenge the preconceptions of new and experienced role-players alike.

The Interstellar Union is tearing itself apart, as demagogues and warlords rise against the declining power of the ISU, local brushfire wars are flaring up by the dozen. When the character's homeworld of Petrograd is invaded by The Theocratic Army of Seraphim, a ruthless and righteous organisation renowned for atrocities and war crimes, their only option is to join the spaceborne stampede of refugees fleeing to the safety of surrounding systems. There the troubles have only just begun. Ranging in scope from the criminal black market of the ISUPROFOR Refugee camps, to the overworked volunteers of the Traveller's Aid Society NGO trying to meet the basic needs of millions, DISPLACED embraces the unflinching reality of day to day survival for Travellers who are perhaps a bit out of their depth.

DISPLACED provides everything a referee and players need to run a campaign in the new DISPLACED setting. With a pregenerated set of scenarios and adventure seeds to occupy a gaming group for many sessions, this what would you do if you were....DISPLACED?

I'll let you know, my players play a lot of Call of Cthulhu, so their sensibilities are pretty, well....dark. So maybe this is not the right tone for most Travellerites?

I know this is a massive first post, and most of you probably aren't really interested, but I would appreciate any thoughts or comments wnyone would like to provide.

Me too. It looks like something very different that the traditional Traveller setting, which is a good thing!

And the Financial gain may not be a low as you think. You still get about 50% of the sale price per copy, so if it is good enough and you sell enough, it should make you a little bit of cash. Nothing to quit your day job over, but you might be surprised...

I would suggest not making the premise a carbon copy of the Syrian crisis, which is how it reads at first blush. Are there other elements and layers to the displacement and refugee crisis?

Back