New player request advice Vs Shadows.

Staleek

Mongoose
In a upcoming game in the tournament currently running at my local game store I am playing (and playing as Minbari) against shadows in the Annihilation scenario (cursed Vorlon Directive). We have yet rolled for points or priority. My last (and first, both against them and for ACTA) game against the shadows (same player) was, to say the least, a total and complete disaster. I am still quite new to the game so I would really appreciate any advice on how to deal with them.

My current thinking is that they get more dangerous at high priorities (that Hunter looks plain viscous), but in the same thread my list gets stronger at higher priorities. It seems that I gain more from going for a larger battle (more Tinashi goodness) than I loose (his possession of hunters), so I was planing on going for a larger battle. Is this a good plan/analysis?

I would also appreciate any advice on fleet lists for Raid/Battle. Currently I am planing on going with:

Raid 5: 2 Tinashi & a Leshath (all CQ 5, the Tinashi's have 10AD front fusion cannons)

Battle 5: 2 Tinashi, 2 Leshath, 1 Sharlin (all at CQ 5, the Sharlin has CQ 6; both Tinashi's have 10AD front fusion cannons)

Are these good fleets versus Shadows? In my testing the Battle fleet proved pretty viscous versus the Hunters, though I am not sure if these where just flukes.

Thank you,

Don't rely on stealth to save you. A stealth 4 ship will usually be down to 2 (+1 bonus for Ancients and +1 for within 8"). Add in a few scouts, and even a stealth 5 ship will be down to "anything but a 1".

Shantavi and Tigara are VERY nasty against Shadows. You need to hit hard and fast. Go for a high level, but buy downwards. At War level you can get a Shantavi and 2 Tigara for 1 point, I'd recommend this greatly!

If he gets to keep anything big in hyperspace, just concede the battle.....

Also, remember he generally has one beam weapon system per ship - don't bunch up within 4 inches of each other, so he can't split fire. Downer is individual ships will go pop quicker, but since you'll likely outnumber, it stops him knocking off more than one in any given turn (for each of his ships).

Fighters might not go amiss, either - he has no effective defense against them in 3 arcs on any of his ships, and his own fighters suck bottom. Downer is that with his huge damage tracks, you will need lots of fighters - and that would mean sinking points on a Morshin, which I doubt you'll want to do? Depends how you roll your points, but a Morshin is a star buy if you have them spare.

Thankfully your fighters move last - just exploit the fact that he only has one arc he can shoot (with any ship, including the scout) and sit behind him and on his flanks. I suppose there's a limit to how many fighters you can get on one ship in only 3 arcs, and I think 8 is about it. 24AD of AP is nothing to sniff at.

Just beware like Locutus says, if he operates scouts in groups you could have problems (at least that 8 inch weapon range will let you get within an easy turns movement of him before he can fire)

Back