New Member seeking advice

TimoftheC2

Mongoose
Greetings all,

I have been looking on and off for a decent space combat game for a few years now. I've not really looked that hard though as I have other gaming demands however, I've now decided that this is something that I now need to correct.

As a big fan of Babylon 5 it's natuaral that I go down that route as I knew that there was a miniatures game out for it, however, after a bit of research, I now find that there are two candidates for my intereset - A call to Arms and Babylon 5 Wars. I therefore have a few questions if that's ok to help me make an informed choice: -

1. has anybody out there played both games and if so, in you unbiased opinion, which is the best system?

2. are the figures and or rules interchangable between the two at all?

3. and where the hell can I buy either from? I have been trawling the internet for a few days now and getting a "starter" set for either game is proving a lot more difficult that I would like

Well, that's all the questions I have for the momement and I hope they make sense

Regards

Tim.C

you will be hard pressed to buy new matereal for either game as they are now both out of print, the second hand market, and old stock from the agents of gaming website are your main hope.

having only skimmed B5 wars, I cannot give an in depth review, however Acta is a fast(ish) based skirmish to fleet game, B5w is a lot more in depth and probably better suited to fewer ships

the ships are interchangeable between the games, the mongoose mini's in the whole being ex B5W molds and casts. there are soem fleets not represented in both games, and some ships that are unique to one or the other

Ebay is by far the best method for buying books and starters (and sometimes minis-there are 2 fleet boxes on there now). IMO though, don't pay full price for anything book or starter wise; there's always a better deal on there if you look.

This person usually has the starter set at the best price (+ free shipping):
http://shop.ebay.com/colleenkbcmi/m.html

For minis, just post a request on this forum and see who gets back to you. I've been trying to collect stuff since its out of print/cast for anyone interested so you can always PM me for anything.

You can do what I am doing, rules no doubt from ACTA mongoose, miniatures from battle level to Armaggedon from Mongoose and raid to patrol from Agents of gamming with some exceptios that Agents of gaming will not have.

Have never played B5 Wars, though I've read the rules. ACTA is a faster, less complex system, lending itself to fleet action games.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ have some minis.

http://www.sentrybox.com/figures/figures.html have 2nd edition rules and fleet book in stock

I'll agree that ACTA is faster and simpler than B5 Wars. I've never played B5 Wars but, at our club, someone who has spent pretty much the entire evening trying to teach a newbie how to play it. By contrast, I've had newbies up and playing ACTA inside half an hour and I don't regard myself as a particularly wonderful teacher.

Many thanx for the replies guys.

The fact that ACTA (see, I'm learming thr lingo) is a quickier and easier system to learn and play than B5 wars is the sort of info that I'm after. Unfortunetaly for me, the guys that I game with don't share my love of B5 and although they will be willing to indulge me by playing the game, I will have to provide all of the understanding and the playing pieces. Therefore, the simpler the better :D

Many thanks for the links - will check them out when I can browse them properly (on me lunch from work atm) but I should add that I'm from the UK and some of the sellers in the US do not ship to our small little backward country.

Tim.C

ACTA is designed to be played with cardboard counters as well as minis. So you can provide playing pieces for your entire group very easily and cheaply :lol:

Though the models do look much nicer of course...

TimoftheC2 said:
Many thanks for the links - will check them out when I can browse them properly (on me lunch from work atm) but I should add that I'm from the UK and some of the sellers in the US do not ship to our small little backward country.
Noble Knight does. I also live in the UK and have bought models from them recently.

Somewhere between flat counters and proper miniatures are the 3D counters on Burger's page:
http://www.ibisfightclub.co.uk/Counters/

Burger said:
ACTA is designed to be played with cardboard counters as well as minis. So you can provide playing pieces for your entire group very easily and cheaply :lol:

Though the models do look much nicer of course...

Burger, thats exactly why I want to start off with getting the original boxed game - it comes with a number of ship counters that I can use to get started and learn the rules.

Getting a fleet of models and the expense that goes with it is something to go for once I am happy with the rules and the game mechanics :shock:

basaint said:
That shop i mentioned on Ebay has a boxed set starting at 15 right now...saw it this morning.

Hi basaint - yeah, I saw that, however, he doesn't ship outside the United States so, frustratingly, I can't get it :cry:

As an owner and player of both game systems, (although have'nt played much B5 Wars for some time), would have to say there is no best.

Chalk and cheese really.

B5 Wars covers ship battles in minute detail, almost to the level of how many sugars the Captain takes in his tea before the battle. A game with only a couple of ships on either side takes a few hours to complete.

CTA a fast action, up to huge fleet based battle game.

If you like, one is Captain level where you manage your ship(s) the other Admiral level where you manage your fleet.

In my book there is more than enough room for both.

The problem with the box set is that it is the first (revised) edition. If your group are happy with this then it's fine, but if you want to play with other people who already play then you'll want 2nd edition. You'll need the 2nd edition rule book and fleet book, Powers and Principalities is an optional extra.

To get the counters you can get the original box set if it's cheap, or you may still be able to get the SFOS counter set - although neither of these will have the new ships from 2nd edition. Or as Adrian said, my website has some fleets/ships as 3D counters. Or you can find a picture on the internet and print it, or of course you can just get a bit of cardboard and write the ship name on it.

Guys,

As an update, I have had quite a few offers now to provide me with the basics I need to give the game a try and I now have stuff (hopefully) winging its way to me :D

Many many thanks for all of your kind offers and the general information and replies, it is all very much appreciated.

Regards

Tim.C

Good luck in your endevours.
Also keep an Eye on the Forums, You are quite well Located to attend some of the more regular tourneys, eg Walsall and Northants are a lot closer to you than they are to me.
Tournaments are a great way to learn and meet new players

We have a club on a Wednesday evening 7.30pm+ in Kettering, Northants.

All of "Greg's Grew" game there (All 6 of us). If you can travel we could organise a game for you no problem.

There is also a proposed Tourney in Walsall in July.

Greg Smith said:
Have never played B5 Wars, though I've read the rules. ACTA is a faster, less complex system, lending itself to fleet action games.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ have some minis.

http://www.sentrybox.com/figures/figures.html have 2nd edition rules and fleet book in stock

Sentry Box is a local store to me, one I frequent a lot! There is one copy of the rulebook left and 1 P&P, everything else is gone for now. Gord might have it hidden away in the warehouse/home/garage, but the store is all but empty.

Great store tho, if you are in the neighbourhood its worth the trip!

Back