New Lone Wolf Books...

Random Code said:
The Wolf said:
I have a soft spot for book 8's bonus adventure, but that's a given.

There are good ones, I agree. I wasn't trying to damn them all so I do hope people realise I was generalising the content for the sake of brevity. Apologies if I've upset anyone as that wasn't my intention.

Heh, not a problem - you know why I have a soft spot for Masquerade in Hikas (book 8's bonus) right? ;)

Random Code said:
If you don't want to buy the softback editions because they don't have the bonus adventure in them then vote with your wallet. Don't buy them. But if you're not picking up the Lone Wolf adventure just because the softback version that you want doesn't have an (in general) fairly average ho-hum bonus adventure in the back then it smacks to me of cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
I don't understand, but I don't want to turn this thread into a flame, so I prefer not to answer. Everyone has his ideas, everybody has the right to express it freely, or at least that's what I learned.

Random Code said:
Just a quick couple of questions: why haven't people purchased the hardbacks? What are your reasons? ... I ask because I'm genuinely surprised that Mongoose are continuing with plans for a softback release as I don't think there's a real market for them.
That's a clever point. I have no idea how much the CEs are selling, but I think the softcover (with or without bonus adventures) can have their market, if supported by a good advertising work. Wizard did a quite good job with Fighting Fantasy, and now even Fabled Lands is available again, in softcover edition and at a low price, and it's very well rated on amazon. Maybe it's not a huge positive sign, but certainly not a negative one. :)

RatedRWolf said:
I don't understand, but I don't want to turn this thread into a flame, so I prefer not to answer. Everyone has his ideas, everybody has the right to express it freely, or at least that's what I learned.

Sorry, its a colloquial term and I've just seen that you're italian so apologies that I used it.

To put it a better way... Some people on here appear to be saying that because the normal edition hasn't got the bonus adventures then they won't be purchasing the books or don't see why anyone would want to. So, effectively such people will go without playing the Lone Wolf gamebooks just because they don't also get the bonus adventures (which aren't particularly amazing anyway). So, they're going without something that is value for money, that they would enjoy, and that they want because of a very small thing they aren't getting. Hence the term, "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

RatedRWolf said:
That's a clever point. I have no idea how much the CEs are selling, but I think the softcover (with or without bonus adventures) can have their market, if supported by a good advertising work. Wizard did a quite good job with Fighting Fantasy, and now even Fabled Lands is available again, in softcover edition and at a low price, and it's very well rated on amazon. Maybe it's not a huge positive sign, but certainly not a negative one. :)

It is very well rated, due to the fact that the Fabled Lands website asked people to do reviews. It is a great series of gamebooks though, along with Lone Wolf and Way of the Tiger (if you ever played those). Incidentally, they are looking at re-releasing Way of the Tiger as well. Which is awesome news as I actually preferred those to Lone Wolf even!

And again with the 'not particularly amazing, anyway' line...

If I didn't know better, I'd have to say you ARE trying to disparage the bonus adventures, mon ami. :)

-A

MongooseAugust said:
And again with the 'not particularly amazing, anyway' line...

Yes because others keep repeating things so I'll answer again in the same way.

MongooseAugust said:
If I didn't know better, I'd have to say you ARE trying to disparage the bonus adventures, mon ami. :)

-A

No, but some people here seem to be ascribing too much value to them. Let's not forget that the books are Lone Wolf adventures not 'guest appearance writer' gamebooks.

Random Code said:
Just a quick couple of questions: why haven't people purchased the hardbacks? What are your reasons? ... I ask because I'm genuinely surprised that Mongoose are continuing with plans for a softback release as I don't think there's a real market for them.

Easy -- they're cheaper and they don't take up as much space on the shelves (unless they're trade paperbacks in which case I will be really, REALLY upset).

Random Code said:
Some people on here appear to be saying that because the normal edition hasn't got the bonus adventures then they won't be purchasing the books or don't see why anyone would want to. So, effectively such people will go without playing the Lone Wolf gamebooks just because they don't also get the bonus adventures (which aren't particularly amazing anyway). So, they're going without something that is value for money, that they would enjoy, and that they want because of a very small thing they aren't getting.
That's not exactly my opinion. If paperbacks finally go to print and contain the whole material of the CEs, I'll surely buy them; if not, I'll think about it. A big part of my decision will concern the price: I don't think a LW paperback without the bonus adventure should cost more than 6 £, which is the price of current Fighting Fantasy and Fabled Lands volumes. But I must admit that I'd really like to spend a bit more and purchase a better, error-free and "complete" volume, so as far as I'm concerned (but it seems I'm not the only one who has opinions like these) everything is in Mongoose's hands. ;)

RatedRWolf said:
That's not exactly my opinion. If paperbacks finally go to print and contain the whole material of the CEs, I'll surely buy them; if not, I'll think about it.

Which is what I said. You'll potentially do yourself out of playing the Lone Wolf adventures just because you aren't also getting the bonus adventures, which are the collector content within the collector editions. You were never going to get these bonus adventures in the standard editions yet now you're considering not buying them for content you were never going to receive in them.

RatedRWolf said:
A big part of my decision will concern the price: I don't think a LW paperback without the bonus adventure should cost more than 6 £, which is the price of current Fighting Fantasy and Fabled Lands volumes.

I don't disagree. They should be priced round the same point in order to compete with FF and FL.

Just to know: when did Mongoose say that softcover wouldn't contain the bonus adventures? I normally have a quite good memory, but I must have missed this piece of information in the past. Can we find it somewhere, for example in an old edition of Signs & Portents?

RatedRWolf said:
Just to know: when did Mongoose say that softcover wouldn't contain the bonus adventures? I normally have a quite good memory, but I must have missed this piece of information in the past. Can we find it somewhere, for example in an old edition of Signs & Portents?

You go have a look for it if you like - get back to us if you find anything and good luck as it sounds like a real trawl.

... I asked Matt about this over email when I was looking at purchasing the Magnamund Mega Deal when it was first announced. One of my queries related to the bonus content adventure within the collector edition. It was one of the reasons why I was sold on it - the other was when he informed me that purchasers would get early sight of the new adventures that finish the series.

Mind you, saying all that, it wouldn't bother me if the bonus adventures were included in the standard editions for you cheapskates! ;)

Just to restate, only the Collector's Editions will have the bonus adventures - those, and the hardback, are what make the collector's editions collectible!

msprange said:
Just to restate, only the Collector's Editions will have the bonus adventures - those, and the hardback, are what make the collector's editions collectible!

Thanks for confirming this Matt. Its good to know I wasn't imagining all of this as I can remember the exclusive nature of the bonus adventures being a determining factor in my purchase of the collector editions.

Cheers.

msprange said:
Will the paperbacks have the illustrations like the Collector's Editions?

Back