Necromancers?

A

Anonymous

Hmmm..... I was a little upset that no Necromancer class was included in MoM. Now, I know Cener Druids could kind of fit the bill (with the Death Spiral), but still.

Does anyone know if there will be one in the future?
Does anyone but me want to see one in the future?
:)

aforgomon said:
Hmmm..... I was a little upset that no Necromancer class was included in MoM. Now, I know Cener Druids could kind of fit the bill (with the Death Spiral), but still.

Does anyone know if there will be one in the future?
Does anyone but me want to see one in the future?
:)

For me personally, not really. I think the Cener Druid fits the bill nicely, and I find the necromancer schtick is overdone in fantasy for the most part already. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind there being such a class, but it's far from being something I'd consider a priority. I'd rather see details on the Kloons, Ogrons, Noodnics, and the likes of the Assassins of Rhem before I'd like to see another spellcasting class.

cheers!
Colin

No necromancers, but maybe one could make a spell that works like the magic item creating rules in MoM, which can be bought when the character (or NPC) has met certain criteria. Raising dead seem to be a general bad guy trait in Magnamund, but it doesn't seem to be something that the bad guys specialize in. It's just one of their many nasty tricks.

Ogron and kloons surely, have always wanted to know more about these. The noodnics can stay in the Hammerdal range (so perhaps I don't like them, but can you blame me after them stealing all my gold crowns in book 2!), they seem to be to shy to be playable.

I too would like to see a pure necromancer class, perhaps buil along the lines of the brotherhood mage, with a new spell every level. August has expressed interest in giving more information on Ixia; if there is an ixian sourcebook, we might as well see an ixian necromancer class.

Until then, the shianti sorceror, the shadakyne wytch, and the cener druid make for good necromancers, if you want one either as a npc villain or a player.

If you want a villain witha n army of corpses, you can easily use any of the above classes, and simply use an explanation how he/she was able to call up so many corpses. ((say like shasarak uses the sunstone to enhance his already increadible necromancy powers))

I don't really see the need for a detailed necromancer class. When I'd need a necromancer as a NPC I'd just give him some powers adequate for the PCs' levels, using the evil character classes (Cener etc) as a guideline/source of inspiration.

Yes, but some players would like to have a pc playable class someday, with spells of acid, curses, corpse calling, etc. :) For an npc ofcourse, as confused has said, its up to the narrator. :)

Come, come Tagazin, I summon thee. From the pit of eternal pain, I summon thee!

Ahem...

Anyway, if you want to summon undead, you could always have your NPC be a disciple of Tagazin, just like Roark.

As for other necromantic type things, the Cener Druids seem to fit the bill quite nicely. Personally I'd hate to see a necromancer in Magnamund, because they're in every other piece of fantasy ever written (OK, exageration), and Lone Wolf has always tried hard to be individual, or at least deviate somewhat from the traditional fantasy monsters.

-GB

"As for other necromantic type things, the Cener Druids seem to fit the bill quite nicely. Personally I'd hate to see a necromancer in Magnamund, because they're in every other piece of fantasy ever written (OK, exageration), and Lone Wolf has always tried hard to be individual, or at least deviate somewhat from the traditional fantasy monsters. "

Really? I always thought necromancers were quite a large part of magnamund, and represented the 'wild card' third party. That is, while the darklands and the rest of magnamund were at each others throats, the undead forces were biding their time, to strike the victor.

Anyhow, the deathlord and ixia, agarash, shasarak, cener druids, mother magrii, the autarch of bahanar ((vampirium)) and probably a lot more I have forgotten, all represent the forces of necromancy. Thats quite a lot!

If you want a devoted necromancer class, just go get the Libris Mortis (WOTC's book of the Undead) from WOTC, and then take the 3.5 PHB and the Monster Manual for your stock sources. The entire Book of the Dead is filled with devoted necromancer classes. There is even a prestige class called the defender of the sun, I think, that conjures up a mantle of pure sunlight and chucks positive energy, sunbursts, and sunrays at undead. Toss in the Necromancy and Death Domains, and you have a necromancer ready to go. Have them worship Naar or Orcus, excetera. As in many games, it's all about the networking you do with other sources.
Don't always rely on the development staff from one game company to produce all of the needed content for a product line. Use your imagination.

Certainly necromancers exist in Magnamund. Kezoor is described as one in "The Jungle Of Horrors", whilst one of the criminals of Sommerlund in "The Prisoners Of Time" is "Gardor Vehz, Chief Druid of Malis Mound, necromancer and cannibal". That description suggests a link to the Cenerese druids, though there may be other druidical groups out there.
As an alternative to a dedicated necromancer class, perhaps an advanced class, of the sort presented in The Darklands, would be appropiate. That would allow a wide variety of backgrounds. Perhaps even a Brother of the Crystal Star may allow his thirst for knowledge to go too far...

Kezoor is described as the head of some Cenerese subfaction on the edict form Queen Evaine. So I guess that both of those examples have Cener links.

The more interesting one from my point of view is Vonator who was clearly practicing Necromantic magic on a vast scale after his defection to the Darklords. Yet I could see nothing in "The Darklands" to support him learning his necromantic art there.

It would be good to see an official RPG version of Vonator even though he is in the wrong time period. I would find it interesting to see how Mongoose go about mapping Vonator into the RPG as it stands.

I kind of asume the selection of right hand spells show in the darklands supliment isonly a fraction of what is available tbh.

Necromancer seems like it would be something that would fall into the Darklands book. My understanding is that the way this is being written, PCs are viewed as being heroes, not villians. Necromancer seems like it would definately be more of a villian role.

What I was dissapointed in is that there was not a roguish type of character. The bucaneer is really cool, but I think there needs to be a character with all of the special abilities for a rogue that does not require having sea legs!

The skeletons listed in the Bestiary of the main LW RPG book say they are created with necromancy... this implies that someone knows that forbidden knowledge.

Perhaps it will be in a furture supplement (though I would have thought it would be in the Darklands book, alas, it is not).

It should be quite easy to make an Adept with a special forbidden 3 tiered 'Brotherhood Spell' (with a Word later for more advanced effects).

I can only imagine Vonator possessed this knowledge and it ruined him!

bastion_korupt said:
The skeletons listed in the Bestiary of the main LW RPG book say they are created with necromancy... this implies that someone knows that forbidden knowledge.

Perhaps it will be in a furture supplement (though I would have thought it would be in the Darklands book, alas, it is not).

It should be quite easy to make an Adept with a special forbidden 3 tiered 'Brotherhood Spell' (with a Word later for more advanced effects).

I can only imagine Vonator possessed this knowledge and it ruined him!

You do know about the necromancer classes in the Magic of Magnamund book? Cener Druids following the Death spiral can be pretty necromantic, as can Wytch Chyldes.

Winter Wolf said:
Kezoor is described as the head of some Cenerese subfaction on the edict form Queen Evaine. So I guess that both of those examples have Cener links.

Yep. Keezor is called "the Renegade Shaman of Mogaruith"... and, as we all know, Mogaruith is the main base of the Ceners. Thus, Keezor is either a Cener, or learned his dark arts from them. Gardor Vehz is called "Chief Druid of Malis Mound", and while we have no idea what Malis Mound is, Druid implies Cener Druid... I'd say he could easily be one of the Ceners sent out from Ruel to stir up evil.

Then there's Roark - and while he seems to draw much of his power from Tagazin, he had to learn how to call the demon-lord up in the first place. I direct your attention to the map, though - Salony is RIGHT upriver from Ruel...

I never really saw "necromancy" as that common an art in Magnamund - the people most capable of it all seem to either have direct links to Naar, Ixia, or the Ceners. I certainly wouldn't consider it a PLAYABLE class... unless you're using the Cener Druid option.

Winter Wolf said:
The more interesting one from my point of view is Vonator who was clearly practicing Necromantic magic on a vast scale after his defection to the Darklords. Yet I could see nothing in "The Darklands" to support him learning his necromantic art there.

The trick with Vonotar, though, is he's not just using Right or Left-hand magic - he's studied both, and created a bastardized fusion of them together (I'll call it the Two-Hand path from now on).

I always saw the point of Vonotar being that he'd discovered the essential secret of magic everyone else in Magnamund had always missed - "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". Like mixing sodium with water, the result is explosive.

His weakness was that the Nadziranim magic was corruptive, and he wasn't powerful enough in the magic of the Brotherhood to balance that evil. This is why he wanted the secrets of Loi-Kymar's Guildstaff (and the higher magic that went with it).

So, I'd classify Vonotar as a special case, who had access to powers no one else before or since could match directly. On the other hand, I'd also say that anyone who followed his path would gain similar power, but would eventually be torn apart by the very opposing forces they sought to tame. It might put a crimp in a player's desire for that kind of power if they know they've only got a limited time to use it before they self-destruct.

Back