Navy/Marine records across different systems.

MonkeyX

Banded Mongoose
So I just started the Treasure Ship adventure in the Drinax campaign and it mentions there that characters with a navy background are looked upon favourably by the captain. Would the records of navy or marine personnel be part of the ships library data, updated at each imperial port if would the records just be kept at the world the character did their service? In ST:TNG this is just a quick sub space request to starfleetbut with the flow of information so slow would this even be feasible?

No, just records on the imperial Treasure ship about characters with a marine or navy career in their past.

With the lack of FTL ansible, the proof of someone's service would almost certainly come from the equivalent of the DD-214 form that the American military uses, which would be furnished by the individual to prove-up their service history.

At a high enough TL there is surely no practical limit on how much personnel data you can hold on a big enough computer.

So any navy ship of any size would probably have full records of all living current and past personnel from at least the sector fleet and probably the latest available Imperium Gazette which would record electronically every officer commission and promotion.

Hell if the Imperium has censuses they may well have basic information on every sophont citizen in the sector as well - even with a trillion records that is unlikely to be a storage problem at TL15.

RogerMc said:
At a high enough TL there is surely no practical limit on how much personnel data you can hold on a big enough computer.

So any navy ship of any size would probably have full records of all living current and past personnel from at least the sector fleet and probably the latest available Imperium Gazette which would record electronically every officer commission and promotion.

Hell if the Imperium has censuses they may well have basic information on every sophont citizen in the sector as well - even with a trillion records that is unlikely to be a storage problem at TL15.

Yeah, per the core rules "storage capacity of computers is not used in Traveller as, beyond TL8, the capacity of even a modest
computer is effectively unlimited." So, any navy ship probably has the records on board, which as the OP says, gets updated whenever they are in an Imperium or allied port. The bigger concern would be security of the data so that records couldn't be accessed, inserted, altered, or deleted by unauthorized persons. I would expect that the 3I Navy has security on par with the large financial institutions.

MonkeyX said:
So I just started the Treasure Ship adventure in the Drinax campaign and it mentions there that characters with a navy background are looked upon favourably by the captain. Would the records of navy or marine personnel be part of the ships library data, updated at each imperial port if would the records just be kept at the world the character did their service? In ST:TNG this is just a quick sub space request to starfleetbut with the flow of information so slow would this even be feasible?

I handle it the way most movies handle it.

Personally I don't think he really uses a high-tech method of figuring this out. I think he more or less takes your word for it ; it's likely he doesn't advertise that he has a favorable bias towards former Navy. It's just that if he finds you were, he's more favorably inclined towards you after the fact. Since you have no idea you should be claiming being in the Navy to him, you're unlikely to lie about being in the Navy.

If you want to take it one step further, perhaps he was in the Navy or knows people in the Navy so he can generally gauge if someone really really served on a ship or if they were some shore-side clerk or something.

Back