Naturally developped Runic spells

Mugen

Mongoose
I'm not very satisfied with the idea that Runetouched may only "buy" spells. Where do those spells come from ?

I was wondering if allowing a Runetouched to develop a few spells "naturally" without having to buy those to a temple would be a bad idea.

For instance, a character whose runic skill reaches X*20 could naturally develop a free spell of magnitude X.

That means a character with 100% in a rune would have 1 spell of each magnitude between 1 and 5, that he will be able to learn to others. That means that this Heal 8 spell you learned was first "developped" by a character whose Runic skill reached 160%.

Yep, Reckon your right, though possibly force the character to
expend a Hero point or two for 'inventing' the new/old Rune Spells?
I would have expected that integration provides an understanding of the runes powers that allows the use of the spells.

Found the magic chapter seem to present more questions than it answered.
The runic association feels a bit cosmetic.
A bit more on the nature of the runes and what they express in generic terms would have been cool.

Can a character integrate dimetrically opposed runes; i.e. both the Death and the Fertility/life or Unlife Runes.

Should humanoids already posses the Man Rune?

Would like to know if cults provide 'integration' by association, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers
Paul

Exubae said:
Found the magic chapter seem to present more questions than it answered.
The runic association feels a bit cosmetic.
A bit more on the nature of the runes and what they express in generic terms would have been cool.

Can a character integrate dimetrically opposed runes; i.e. both the Death and the Fertility/life or Unlife Runes.

Cheers
Paul

I also thought this section was either not well thought out or not well presented. It says somewhere what some runes can't be co-integrated, but it isn't very specific.

The cults sections says that cults can provide all spells up to magnitude 2 to its memebers. This means that all cults have at least one person of importance integrated with each rune. This seems far fetched to me.

Also, why does the law rune provide the spell Fanaticism? Shouldn't the chaos rune provide that, and the law rune provide Calm or something similar?

Also would have liked to see a table of runes listing the spells associated with them.

Cobra

The Kyger Litor had a ritual (as every one probably knows) that allowed a a non-troll character (human) to be reborn as an Uzdo or Mistress Race if the character was powerful enough in spirit. Apparently it worked by fusing elemental darkness (aka Darkness Rune) into the battered remains of the would be cultist and awakening his trollish nature.

So how would this work now... would it be a process of integrating a Darkness Rune into the human cultist (which is quite neat), but that would imply true Uz have Darkness already integrated.

Hmm... wonder if we'll see another reprint of kyger Litor... could be up to its sixth or is it seventh reprint:)

Paul

The cults sections says that cults can provide all spells up to magnitude 2 to its memebers. This means that all cults have at least one person of importance integrated with each rune. This seems far fetched to me.

I was hoping the former was just those runes associated to the cult.
but still the concept of seeking runes and integrating them (although kind of like it) does seem flawed from especially the perspective of rarity of the runes.

I would have thought it better for the Cults to Provide a link through initiation to the runes, which gives a reason for folk to join cults, access to Runic magic without integration. Leave the cult lose the link to the Rune.
Cults could then provide Runes for integration to their Lords and Priests.

From a more primitive perspective Shaman would be presented with runes by the tribe, and then recieve spells from the ancestors and spirits they converse with. The shaman redistributing the Runes to the tribesfolk as he sees best.

Also, why does the law rune provide the spell Fanaticism? Shouldn't the chaos rune provide that, and the law rune provide Calm or something similar?

There seems to have little thought seems to have gone into the Runes, their associations and their spells.

Not sure about Chaos though, Disorder or Death might be better.

The Runic magic has a lot of good ideas, but needs a good deal of legwork and house rules to make feel less contrived. I've already altered a good few of the powers and expanded the associations to give negative as well as posative effects from integration, making these increase with the runic casting %.

Integrating Chaos (from a Gloranthan perspective) should turn you into a chaos monstrocity, an ogre at best, or broo. Then Urox should send his holy beserkers to chop the players unholy hide into little bits:)

Cheers
Paul

I think I will change another little bit about rune magic : when integrated, it will not stay on the object where it was in first place, but move on the runetouched's body. It will not be some kind of tattoo that could be removed with the skin, but rather a supernatural mark that remains on his body.

It will remain here until his death, where it will then move to an object nearby. This could be a sword, a cup of tea, or even his shirt...

This is because I have a problem figuring out how a Dragon with integrated runes could be able to handle human-sized objects such as runic stones...

Mugen said:
This is because I have a problem figuring out how a Dragon with integrated runes could be able to handle human-sized objects such as runic stones...

Dragons would presumably use draconic magic anyway, not rune magic.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
Mugen said:

Dragons would presumably use draconic magic anyway, not rune magic.

Simon Hibbs

Sure, but in the Dragon entry of the core rulebook it is said that a Dragon has runes integrated ;)

Back