multi-media experience

bradius

Mongoose
part of what is interesting in Conan is the many different cultures, peoples, landscapes etc. What I do now to try and differentiate an adventure in say, Kush vs. one in Koth is use slides (I used to be an Outdoor Adventure Guide, so I have lots), vivid descriptions (gleaned from both REH source books and similar real world cultures).

I'm also considering playing music (e.g. African music for TotBK settings), cooking representative foods from the cooesponding real world culture, and using my computer to access pix of the 'nominal' people and architecture of RWC.

I've done a little bit of this in the way of showig pics from National Geographic or some old Time Life book called "The Mountains" or "The Rain Forest" and even downloadable pics of ruins or monuments.

Music is a staple as well but I mainly stick to soundtracks. However if you can find Peter Gabriel's "Sources" which was inspiration for his soundtrack for "Passion" for the movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" you will find plenty of music suitable for eastern land in various settings. The music lends itself well to background such as entering a city and seeing the sites or camping at night with a caravan and a couple of the caravaners pull out their instruments and start playing.

Many of the muscians featured on the album had never been inside a recording studio before but are excellent musicians having been taught by a family member or friend at a young age and played their entire life only in their own small village or around a fire.

Pretty cool stuff but as mentioned seems best used as if the musicians are actually in the setting.

For exploring ruins and sneaking into temples of sorcerers your trying to kill or rip off then "Passion" itself is excellent.

I would love to find a good source for native african misic as well.

My players seem to like the visuals and the music defiantly sets a cool mood.

I admire your dedication to improve the gaming experience. However, I have to resort to the impoverished and oft-maligned resource of Imagination.

Yogah of Yag said:
I admire your dedication to improve the gaming experience. However, I have to resort to the impoverished and oft-maligned resource of Imagination.

We rely on the imagination as well. We don't sit around and look at pictures all night.

Back