Mote in God's Eye/Falkenberg's Legion/

Aragorn300

Mongoose
If I may suggest a series that could work for 2000 years worth of timeline:
Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven's shared universe that culminates in the classic "Mote in God's Eye".

For those not familiar, they break into two series with one timeline.
It begins with the idea of a CoDominion--The USA and Russia basically taking over Earth as a joint venture. Faster than light is accidently discovered and they start exporting colonists--some voluntary, some involuntary--to other planets to stop the overpopulation on Earth.
As the CoDominion falls apart, mercenaries overseen by a strict code of conduct go to war for colonies fighting each other. (How strict? Violations could result in bankruptcy at best or nuclear retaliation from earth at worst)
Eventually, the CoDo falls apart, and the planet of Sparta starts an interstellar empire to secure peace.
2000 years later a second empire (the first fell) makes first contact.

The first period is great for small unit, releatively low tech games since the mercenaries use conventional firearms and almost no armored vehicles.
The Second period is great for space opera with lazer pistols and gamma-ray cannon wielding battleships against aliens with asymetric bodies and birth rate that makes rabbits blush.

I've always had a soft spot for the Falkenberg's Legion books. A definite prototype for a "Mercenary" campaign (I would not be surprised if the original stories were the inspiration behind the original LBB4)

BenGunn is correct on all counts!...I was just starting off the thread with a taste of the delicious complexity of that particular shared universe.

It is a hard sci setting that is quite realistic.
My personal favorite novels were actually "Go tell the Spartans" and it's sequel which explored the joys of facing off against an old fashioned terrorist/communitst guerilla war on Sparta while Earth was tearing itself to pieces...particularly ironic was that the communist revolutionaries were supplied by a Grand Senator on the USA side instead of the revised Russia.

Yea, the Codiminion/Motie-verse is capable of handling ANYTHING!.

And since the authors have not returned to fill in the 1000+ year gap between (except for the warworld series) the Legion stories and the Mote storyline, that leaves it rife for all kind of new series.

If I had the time, I'd adapt the Traveller rules myself, but right now I cant spare learning yet another system. Like all GM's I am trying to get my own stuff publshed, especially a stripped down d20 OGL variant that doesn't have levels.

I am finishing reading "Mote in God's Eye" during my seaside holidays, and found the book very Travelleresque (or rather the other way around! :wink: )... a Second Empire of Man rising from the ashes of a very advanced First Empire, different technology levels due to collapse and interstellar wars, no FTL communication, etc.

And the Moties are interesting Aliens indeed.

So, yes, It would be very nice to have a version licensed from Mr. Pournelle and Mr. Niven, using the MGT rules! :D

As a lifelong fan of Larry Niven I would sooner see a RPG built around his Known Space universe. The Ringworld RPG from Choasium was a fine start and it would great to see this reworked and expanded upon :)

Can anybody give me a cogent list of the books in these series, order, titles, authors, etc?

I own and have read Falkenberg's Legion many times. Was not aware there were other books that shared the same universe!

Soulmage said:
Can anybody give me a cogent list of the books in these series, order, titles, authors, etc?

I own and have read Falkenberg's Legion many times. Was not aware there were other books that shared the same universe!

Just a quick search of the Wikipedia produced the following list:

The CoDominium Series :wink:

Back