More Lone Wolf atmosphere

A

Anonymous

The thread about the number puzzles is great. :) What other atmospheric elements and touches (apart from setting-specific monsters and suchlike) can you think of that have that "Lone Wolf feel"? The following feel very Lone Wolf to me:

- stylized and colorful banners & symbols
- murderous quacks in dark alleys (preferrably when it's raining)
- food being destroyed by rats and moisture
- solemn rulers and kings contemplating pressing problems in ancient halls
- wizardly clothing with stars and crescents and arcane symbols
- over-priced leaky rooms in inns
- wildernesses where you go for days without seeing a friendly face

My only experience with Lone Wolfe in the past has been with the game books. I've always liked how it was one very heoric character that forced and thought his way through all the obstacles to attain his goal and cleanse Magnuamund of the evil that invested it. That reoccuring theme with the books is what brought me back to Lone Wolfe and purcahased all the RPG material, and I still love it.

Welcome to the forums, bbogard!

If you havn't already, please vote for Lone Wolf in the Support your game poll

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5721

We're currently in second place trailing Conan by 20 votes.

Thanks for posting that poll again. I hadn't seen it in a while. According to that poll, LW is kicking butt. Isn't LW the "new kid on the block?"

So, my question is, if the poll is accurate, why is the demand not being met by Mongoose? Now, I do want to be fair too. I don't know how long it takes to get a new game up and running, I just don't want to see this game go away like the Lord of the Rings RPG...

Elements of Lone Wolf? Well, let's see.

Horses dying...rather a lot of that.

Sidekicks too...with the exception of Banedon and Rimoah, those poor guys didn't do so well.

Bad guys doing unbelievably stupid things...still can't believe the Cener Druids actually suspended a massive vat of acid above their laboratory (Book 14). What were they thinking?

Boats sinking. That happened quite a bit too.

I'm happy to report that I have managed to work all of the above elements into my current campaign!

-Cadak

munari said:
Thanks for posting that poll again. I hadn't seen it in a while. According to that poll, LW is kicking butt. Isn't LW the "new kid on the block?"

So, my question is, if the poll is accurate, why is the demand not being met by Mongoose?

Let me just post Matt Sprange's answer to your question:

"Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Not sure if it is worth pointing out but we already know which of our games are the most popular, by how many you chaps buy - and the poll ain't even close

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com "

By that statement, I take it that Lone Wolf is far from one of their bestselling products. Mongoose's biggest cash cows are obviously B5 and Conan, and possibly the new Starship Troopers game (too soon to tell), and those lines are supported accordingly.

columbob said:
By that statement, I take it that Lone Wolf is far from one of their bestselling products. Mongoose's biggest cash cows are obviously B5 and Conan, and possibly the new Starship Troopers game (too soon to tell), and those lines are supported accordingly.

Speaking from the retail end, we've now sold more SST boxed sets than any other single product, Mongoose and non-Mongoose.

I always loved the way that Lone Wolf was not some super tough character who could do anything and had to run, sneak, hide and do a lot of underhand and cunning things just to stay alive let alone achieve his goals. He always had a vulnerable human side to him which helped to make the adventures feel real.

The old adventures also featured stuff like weather (often overlooked by other fantasy writers at the time) and a wide and diverse group of different countries and cultures that were so well written they really felt very real and immersive.

Cadak said:
Boats sinking. That happened quite a bit too.
To of my players are now refusing to take any boat trips at all ;o(

Im threatending them with mental surgery to cut cut out the bits of there brains that make them irrationally* fear boat rides.

*Well only 50% of them sunk!

Back