Mood Music for Slaine?

I would like to first say "Hey!" to all on the boards and well would like to ask what bands or types of music do you use for your Slaine games?Celtic mood music to Hard Rock or just stay with one type of music?

Currently I am using Bulgarian folk music and psychedellic folk tracks, and maybe switch to something a bit more pumping for the action... I would say Celtic music, but a lot of its very irritating with the pipes... :wink:

well... were i to continue my slaine game... heres my list

a shortened version of the one i use for my D&D games though

1. Celtic Moods - Constable McCormick (2:22)
2. Celtic Moods - Emerald Eyes (4:31)
3. Celtic Moods - I Sing to Thee (4:21)
4. Celtic Moods - I'll Tell You a Tale (5:03)
5. Celtic Moods - McKenna's Cure (4:54)
6. Celtic Moods - My True Love (4:28)
7. Celtic Moods - O'er Hill and Dale (4:53)
8. Celtic Moods - The Fog in Inverness (4:32)
9. Celtic Moods - The Last Drop (3:52)
10. Celtic Moods - The Wishing Well (4:27)
11. Clancy Brothers - Gallant Forty TWA (2:24)
12. Clancy Brothers - Gallant Forty Twa (Album) (3:04)
13. Clancy Brothers - Irish fiddle song (3:25)
14. Clancy Brothers - Irish Songs of Drinking (3:01)
15. Clancy Brothers - Mary Mack (3:56)
16. Clancy Brothers - Rebels of Our Land (1:56)
17. Clancy Brothers - Red Haired Mary (4:14)
18. Clancy Brothers - Rising of the Moon (2:24)
19. Clancy Brothers - The Butcher Boy (3:18)
20. Clancy Brothers - The Leaving of Liverpool (4:27)
21. Clancy Brothers - The old orange flute (5:22)
22. Clancy Brothers - The Parting Glass (2:38)
23. Clancy Brothers - The Rebellion of 1916 (10:05)
24. Clancy Brothers - Tim Finnegan's Wake (3:08)
25. Dropkick Murphys - Bastards on Parade (3:50)
26. Dropkick Murphys - Boys on The Docks (2:30)
27. Dropkick Murphys - Boys on the Docks (pub) (2:33)
28. Dropkick Murphys - Fields of Athenry (4:27)
29. Dropkick Murphys - For Boston (1:33)
30. Dropkick Murphys - Four Dead Cheerleaders (3:31)
31. Dropkick Murphys - Irish Drinking Song (1:57)
32. Dropkick Murphys - Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced (5:34)
33. Dropkick Murphys - Never Alone (2:54)
34. Dropkick Murphys - Scotland the brave (1:48)
35. Dropkick Murphys - Skinhead On The MBTA (3:48)
36. Dropkick Murphys - The Dirty Glass (3:41)
37. Dropkick Murphys - The Outcast (3:10)
38. Dropkick Murphys - The Pub With No Beer (2:26)
39. Dropkick Murphys - The Spicy McHaggis Jig (2:57)
40. Dropkick Murphys - The Wild Rover (3:25)
41. Dropkick Murphys - This is Your Life (3:43)
42. Enya - Only Time (3:40)
43. Game Music - FF2 - World Theme (4:47)
44. Gladiator - Elysium (2:41)
45. Gladiator - Now We Are Free (4:14)
46. Gladiator - Strength And Honor (2:09)
47. Howard Shore (Billy Boyd) - The Steward of Gondor (3:53)
48. Howard Shore - Evenstar (3:15)
49. Howard Shore - Helm's Deep (3:53)
50. Howard Shore - Hope Fails (2:21)
51. Howard Shore - Lothlorien (4:32)
52. Howard Shore - Minas Tirith (3:37)
53. Howard Shore - The Bridge of Khazad Dum (5:56)
54. Howard Shore - The Council of Elrond (3:49)
55. Howard Shore - The End Of All Things (5:12)
56. Howard Shore - The Riders Of Rohan (4:05)
57. Tenacious D - Wonderboy (4:06)
58. The Dubliners - Whiskey in the Jar (2:59)
59. TV Theme - Diva Techno Opera (4:43)

Yeah too use alot of that same muisc also the Score to the Mel Gibson Hamelt is good with some very dark moments and I alos use the Hellraiser scores as well,alot of celtic music,Braveheart, Rob Roy and the like something with a very tribal sound to it works.

Then you stuff like The Mob Rules or heavy Gwar stuff for when mega bloody battles take place. Metal rules the battlefield in my games...BWAH! hehe... :twisted:

welcome too the boards :D I use the sound track from gladiator,lord of the ring but also holsts the planets that always gets them going :twisted:

Thanks and I hope I will learn alot from all of you and hope to give some ideas and advice for playing as well as adding some ideas and stats up here at some point?

Yeah I like to throw some Gladiator in their, heck alot of the Dead Can Dance stuff is perfect for this game. Anything that can really give a feel for the archaic or gothic, medieval and celtic world of Slaine. All of these ideas everyone has put forward for music they use for their games can really give others some options that may not have thought of?

Daithi O'an tSionnaigh said:
I would like to first say "Hey!" to all on the boards and well would like to ask what bands or types of music do you use for your Slaine games?Celtic mood music to Hard Rock or just stay with one type of music?

Slaine writer Pat Mills says he'd listen to the likes of Berlioz and Tchaikovsky while he was writing it, if that's any help.

Anything with Enya in is great mood music for Slaine, try the Robin Hood tv soundtrack if you can get it (all the music is credited to Enya's former band Clannad).

For those over the top moments Wagners Der Ring des Nibelungen" is ideal and likewise other classical pieces from Holst's Planet Suite, and Bachs Denket doch, Ihr Menschenkinder (I think that this is the right aria). Also the music from the movie Conan is great for both Slaine and well Conan of course and the Main Title / Riders Of Taramis" by Basil Poledouris is stunning, if you can still pick up the soundtrack check it out, also why not check out the Adventures of Conan soundtrack, you can still pick it up from this site:
http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?offset=490&ID=1683

Marc

Yeah sounds good!

I mentioned some of these before but here goes for what I use...

-Music from Diablo 2
-Hellraiser Chronicles
-Baraka score
-The Crow and Crow II scores
-The Messenger Score
-Dragonheart score has some nice tracks that can be used.
-Kundun score
-Hamlet by Ennio Morricone (the score from the Mel Gibson version) Some great dark music on this CD
-Bram Stoker's Dracula score
-Braveheart and Rob Roy (Naturally)
-Legend scores however I think the Jerry Goldsmith score is maybe a bit more appropriate but depends on what your looking for The Tangerine Dream version does have some tracks that would work.
-The Conan scores which have been mentioned
-Gladiator is excellent mood music

This is just some of what I use I also use alot of traditional Celtic music as well alot of soundscape stuff works well too. Hope this helps?

Now how do most use their music? Do you let it play the through the whole time you play or do you play with the use of silence and then bring the music into your games based on a set of events?

I always write my games as I'm listening to the music thus allowing me to visualize and come up with a set of events that have been influenced by the music playing? Just wondering how others intergrate music in there games?

i generally just load it up in winamp, and let it play throughout game... my computer is in the gaming room... so it works out... i also use images...

i have a screen saver on my computer called "Screen Paver"... it lets you use custom images... and also.. MUSIC..lol

the music starts when the screen saver does...

NICE!! Very cool indeed!

I usually either cue it up as well or let it just play. Depends on how the game is going. If the pace is being kept up then things work through a flow if not then when it gets to a distinct moment in my games I will shift the music that way. So if it is a battle or dark beastie that they come across I make to be ready for it.

I know some will not use music in their games as they feel it distracts,however I think if it is not too loud and just enough to fill the background it can enhance the experience. I also really try to avoid music with lyrics unless the muisc is just too cool to pass up and well the lyrics add to the situation.

I think it really finally comes down to what yo like and dislike and what helps your players get the most out of their gaming experience.

i generally avoid lyrics as well... unless its like Duel of Fats or something, from star wars episode 1..lol

i also dont cue my music though... i let it cycle randomly through winamp..lol

tend too end on a cliffhanger as after years of being a DM too make sure the buggers come back and have a major act per session so music is picked by me based on that theme.It also gives them a cue on the adventure they when I was running a CoC campain got very very nervous when tubular bells started playing :twisted:

Yes I can see where tubular bells can make a game very nerve racking and tense. But if that brings tham back for more and takes the story and helps move it forwards...Awesome! 8)

that piece of music normally means something very bad was going too happen and so they got very nervous when they heard the tune.Had a very bad tape copy that sounded as if on a old grammerphone which worked a treat :twisted:

most songs can be edited.... i personally use a program called "Goldwave".. its not free, but it does serve my purposes..lol

Back