Mongoose News - The Printed Edition of Traveller has Arrived!

In order to support my FLGS I waited like a kid on the day before Christmas. Well today Christmas arrived. I am now a proud owner of a brand new 2e Mongoose Traveller core rule book in Hardback. :mrgreen:

I love my PDFs, don't get me wrong, but there is just something so nice about holding a book. Guess I am just too old fashioned. Ironic when playing a SciFi game I imagine. LOL

I also prefer hardcopy. Faster to search and no tiny, reflective screen to make reading unpleasant.

-Daniel- said:
In order to support my FLGS I waited like a kid on the day before Christmas. Well today Christmas arrived. I am now a proud owner of a brand new 2e Mongoose Traveller core rule book in Hardback. :mrgreen:
I waited patiently for the book to arrive in Travelling Man, Newcastle. Was worth the wait :)

Reynard said:
I also prefer hardcopy. Faster to search and no tiny, reflective screen to make reading unpleasant.

While I also prefer hardcopy, I wouldn't say faster then searching a PDF.

AndrewW said:
Reynard said:

While I also prefer hardcopy, I wouldn't say faster then searching a PDF.
The "Bits and Mortar" scheme means I have both book and PDF.

I too own both and find each has its use. I love reading the book, and I find using the PDF to find specific items quickly and that can be quite useful.

I am glad I have both. :mrgreen:

A minor note
The 3g Columns for 600mil/900mil/1bil Km are also incorrect
they are stating values reflecting the 4g times

(right thread after all)

-Daniel- said:
I too own both and find each has its use. I love reading the book, and I find using the PDF to find specific items quickly and that can be quite useful.

Ditto - I find the pdf faster to look for things (either via the bookmarks or the search function) if I dunno where it is. The book is handy during game nights (when I usually have too many things open on my computer already lol) and to flip through casually.

You'd be surprised how often I use both at the same time - allowing me to have it open on one page I need (usually the pdf) but flip the other to something I want to check up quickly. It's not unknown for me to have the pdf open on both my laptop and iPad for the same reason. lol.

FentonGib said:
-Daniel- said:

Ditto - I find the pdf faster to look for things (either via the bookmarks or the search function) if I dunno where it is. The book is handy during game nights (when I usually have too many things open on my computer already lol) and to flip through casually.

You'd be surprised how often I use both at the same time - allowing me to have it open on one page I need (usually the pdf) but flip the other to something I want to check up quickly. It's not unknown for me to have the pdf open on both my laptop and iPad for the same reason. lol.
Funny how far we have come. All for a Pen and Paper game. :mrgreen:

-Daniel- said:
Funny how far we have come. All for a Pen and Paper game. :mrgreen:
Lol ironically for the last few years our pen and paper rpg games have not involved any pens or papers - we've generally had character sheets in pdf format viewed on tablets or phones - saves money on reprinting (some games are multiple sheets per character).

With Traveller we're actually enjoying going back to traditional paper character sheets (though I keep all the NPCs - except the main group ones always with them - on PDF format still) and printed maps, planet profiles, etc... and the players are loving it. :)

Yeah, I'm definitely Old School. I can flip to a particular section of a hardcopy than trying to remember the many page numbers to type in the page search of swiping page by page on a digital book. I have paper everywhere around me literally at my instant fingertip compared to those swiping their screens for character sheets and game info. Pencils and erasers don't scare or confuse me. Matter of taste.

FentonGib said:
- we've generally had character sheets in pdf format viewed on tablets or phones...
This is also one of the reasons I fell in love with Hero Lab. I loved being able to update Character sheets on the fly.

I have also used Excel/Word character sheets for years. I love my digital character sheets. :mrgreen:

-Daniel- said:
I have also used Excel/Word character sheets for years. I love my digital character sheets. :mrgreen:
Ditto :mrgreen: - I usually make an excel/word character sheet with automated lookups and calculators (very very handy for d20 system!) and then we "print to PDF" for universal application/ease.

Love Excel! hehe

FentonGib said:
Ditto :mrgreen: - I usually make an excel/word character sheet with automated lookups and calculators (very very handy for d20 system!) and then we "print to PDF" for universal application/ease.

Ah, I setup a wiki and have characters sheets on there all linked to everything. Click on the skill pulls up the details for that skill, piece of equipment same thing, and so forth. Also other information on there such as locations, NPC's and so forth.

Do use a LibreOffice spreadsheet for doing up ships though.

Back