Modern Pocket Handbook is great, BUT...

DonGnocci

Mongoose
among the many clarifications for abilities and ability score loss and stuff, the
MOST important thing about abilities has been left out...
How do i generate ability scores for my characters???
I didn't find it... even after perusing the index and the book itself for appr.
2 1/2h i guess...
I'm quite annoyed that i don't find it, where it's supposed to be...
Can anyone help me?

Thx a lot...

:cry:

DonGnocci said:
among the many clarifications for abilities and ability score loss and stuff, the
MOST important thing about abilities has been left out...
How do i generate ability scores for my characters???
I didn't find it... even after perusing the index and the book itself for appr.
2 1/2h i guess...
I'm quite annoyed that i don't find it, where it's supposed to be...
Can anyone help me?

Thx a lot...

:cry:

Hi DonGnocci

The Modern SRD states:

Every character has six basic Ability Scores:
Strength (STR)
Dexterity (DEX)
Constitution (CON)
Intelligence (INT)
Wisdom (WIS)
Charisma (CHA)
The Score of these Abilities ranges from 0 to infinity. A limit, if any, will be specified in the rules. The normal human range is 3 to 18. It is possible for a creature to have a score of "none". A score of "none" is not the same as a score of "0". A score of "none" means that the creature does not possess the ability at all. The modifier for a score of "none" is +0.
A character with a CON of 0 is dead. A 0 in any other score means the character is helpless and cannot move.
Keeping track of negative ability score points is never necessary. A character’s ability score can’t drop below 0.

Although interestingly this doesn't say anything about how to roll ability scores. A standard way of rolling would be 4 d6 and taking the three highest roles. Thus a range of 3-18. This gives an average roll around the 12-13 range. I personally favour the method of 2 d6 + 6 for a more heroic flavoured game. I then allow the rolls to be assigned to the abilities however the player sees fit.

This is just my method.

Sam

Thanks a lot...
That's what i assumed... it's the same way like for D&D...
Well... you use 2d6+6 for a more "heroic" game? Sounds a bit overpowered...
I once rolled three 18s at D&D... i was interested in playing a paladin...
but i scrapped the character and rerolled...
Is there any setting or source book you could recommend?
I'm looking for a Sci-Fi style setting of a kind... rather a source book with loads of plasma guns, Mechanized Body Armours and stuff of that sort...

Know what i mean?

Hi

2d6 + 6 only averages at 13. It's not as overpowered as you might think. Anyway, if characters are good at doing things, that lulls them into thinking that their task will be easy, little do they know that the main bad guy and henchmen are also good at stuff.

As for Sci-Fi settings, I'm not the best person to ask. The Futures Supplement from WotC has lots of rules covering what you describe, but I wouldn't want to use it as a Campaign setting.

Perhaps d20 Traveller, although I have never played it. I believe there is a free download of Traveller lite if you want to try that out. (Google search Traveller lite).

Cheers

Sam

As a T-20 player, I can tell you that if you like the Traveller setting, then you'll like this game. I was quite pleased with it, as they were able to integrate their proprietary rules on starship and vehicle design, and also previous experience for characters, with the d20 mechanic. The end result was quite good, IMO.

My biggest problem with most d20 games at the moment is that I haven't seen a really good starship construction system. Star Wars was okay, but it really only works for the Star Wars setting. Traveller's is fine, but people who don't like the hard-science, high-math aspects of the system just don't do well with it. I've been working on a cinematic d20 construction and combat system that will provide a good cinematic feel to starship combat without being overly abstract.

Back